• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New member and first time seller advice

jMarine

YUUUT!
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2022
Alabama
I have been a long time lurker to this site for many years and finally joined the other day because I would like to try and sell a scope and rifle I have in order to fund a new “toy”. I know I need to be a supporter to post something for sale, so that will come. However, I am looking for any advice on what I can do as a seller to ease the minds of a potential buyer, particularly since I am a new member with zero credibility on this site. Just looking for a streamlined transaction where myself and the buyer will be comfortable. Thanks for any advice! Semper Fi.

(Not sure the best location for this thread so I figured the bear pit would be the best place according to the rules and regs)

Post detailed pictures of the items.
Post pictures with you holding said items so folks can see who you are and all that stuff.

Then offer to do video chats with anyone who is interested in buying.

That will help a lot.

Post detailed pictures of the items.
Post pictures with you holding said items so folks can see who you are and all that stuff.

Then offer to do video chats with anyone who is interested in buying.

That will help a lot.
I assumed pictures and good description etc. Is Venmo a “good enough” option or should I look into other methods like PayPal or that one gun exchange site (the name slips my mind) that acts as a middle man for the money?

I prefer postal money orders when dealing in stuff like this. PP has burned a few guys hard. As soon as all the electronic forms of money transfer began requiring (IMO) excess info from me, I ran back to postal money orders for “reasons”

Reactions: FN15
I assumed pictures and good description etc. Is Venmo a “good enough” option or should I look into other methods like PayPal or that one gun exchange site (the name slips my mind) that acts as a middle man for the money?

First, I'd suggest getting your site supporter subscription going, before you go too much further in this thread...

Now in the photos, I'd suggest as usual good photos and a good description but also pictures of you with the items, clearly showing your face and such.

For payment, I'd suggest you be open to a variety of payment methods, many folks like to send Postal Money Orders or such things depending on the value of the item. Some folks prefer to use PP others will be willing to use Venmo or Zelle, however that is probably something that only folks with a higher comfort level will do. You can also offer FTF pickup and payment in cash for those nearby.

Reactions: Holliday
I don't wanna see your ugly mug. Just write on a piece of paper your username and the date of your post, put it next to your item you're selling, take a pic, upload pic to your for sale thread.
Pretty sure thats how the rules state its to be done.....

Be open to phone conversations at least. Along with posting detailed pics with notes and username, phone conversations can go a long way. I’ve had several when selling and buying.

Reactions: Holliday
Are you a hot chick? If you’re not then Maybe get one to model what you’re selling j/k

Good pictures. Lots of pictures. Do you have feedback on other forums?
Be open to several forms of payment. I prefer to send funds via PP, Venmo or even check. USPS MO is my least favorite because my local PO got shut down for black mold in the building.

Be open to send more pictures as requested. I will request a picture with an “odd” item in it along with a paper with other info included.

Many folks have had luck in getting Lowlight to vet them after a warm conversation through messages.

In your pictures you have to wear orange and blue with War Eagle posters on the wall behind you....

Go Dawgs.

Well I can’t post that here! Duh. That’s against the rules! 🙄 and I haven’t become a supporter yet!
Looks like you used your crayons to color instead of eating them.....congratulations.....LOL

A lot of post like these smell of a fishing expedition to circumvent the rules, but I think your legit. They are usually worded like "I am thinking of selling my POS Salvage 6.5 CM any idea what I could get for it?"

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Looks like you used your crayons to color instead of eating them.....congratulations.....LOL

A lot of post like these smell of a fishing expedition to circumvent the rules, but I think your legit. They are usually worded like "I am thinking of selling my POS Salvage 6.5 CM any idea what I could get for it?"
Well I ate most of my crayons, but I got distracted by the bright lights before I could finish all of them. Maybe that helped preserve some brain cells. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who knows.

Yeah I am trying to at least show I’m legit and give a shit. I would hate to be burned on any end of a transaction and it’s sad that you actually have to have sticky threads that mention people’s legitimacy or trustworthiness based on prior engagements. But that’s sadly the world we live in and I certainly understand the need for a thread like that. I would just like to show that I’m real, that’s all.

Thanks for all of the input from those that contributed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel+Killer
I don't wanna see your ugly mug. Just write on a piece of paper your username and the date of your post, put it next to your item you're selling, take a pic, upload pic to your for sale thread.
This is it for me. Best way to make sure.

Well I ate most of my crayons, but I got distracted by the bright lights before I could finish all of them. Maybe that helped preserve some brain cells. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who knows.

Yeah I am trying to at least show I’m legit and give a shit. I would hate to be burned on any end of a transaction and it’s sad that you actually have to have sticky threads that mention people’s legitimacy or trustworthiness based on prior engagements. But that’s sadly the world we live in and I certainly understand the need for a thread like that. I would just like to show that I’m real, that’s all.

Thanks for all of the input from those that contributed.
Glad you let us know about your uga problem.... wouldn't want to buy any of your stuff and bring bugs and flees into my house.....