• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Member Check In

Thunderhorse

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
Central MO
Hey everybody, I have been reading through posts on this site for the better part of a decade-since at least 2010-but just now signed up.

I am not a PRS shooter and don't compete (or haven't), and really haven't been shooting much at all over the past few years due to deployments, but I am looking forward to some long overdue upgrades for my Tikka and starting to shoot a lot more. The rifle is a T3 Varmint Stainless in .308 that I bought back in 2007 when I was still in high school, since then it has worn a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X40 in a set of Warne rings and a Harris bipod. It has been my primary hunting rifle and has killed many a feral pig in South Texas. Its a very accurate rifle by my standards for a production gun and I have always wanted to get more out of it than the factory stock and scope would allow, but high school and college were not conducive to having the necessary funds for it.

For the stock I am upgrading it to a KRG Bravo chassis which I ordered today; they seem to be pretty well liked here from what I've read and I like the TRG aesthetic. Functionally, I do not like parts of the stock over the web of my thumb on a bolt action rifle which was a big reason I did not get a Whiskey-3 or X-ray. It will get a 20 MOA Warne receiver rail.

The current scope is a SFP, which to me doesn't make sense with a ranging reticle, but was all my budget would allow and allowed me to learn the fundamentals of mil-based reticles. The old mil-dot seems pretty archaic now, and this scope will probably move to my .22-or maybe a rifle for the wife. The main features I am after are a mil reticle with mil turrets, FFP, and a 30mm tube. Right now I am between the Vortex Viper PST II 5-25X50 or the Razor HD 5-20X50. The PST II has all the features I want and can be paired easily with rings for less cost, but I have heard some negatives about their durability. I know there is the warranty and all, but I'd rather avoid the hassle of removing, shipping, re-mounting, and re-zeroing for a warranty claim. The Razor seems pretty well sorted out, and it seems the few hundred bucks extra is worth it, but the 35mm tube is a bit of a turn off with regards to mounting it. I think a Badger Unimount would be the ticket there.

Anyway, that is what the discussions are for so I will see y'all around there and hopefully learn enough to make a decision I'm comfortable with.

There is no problem mounting the Razor. No need for a unimount. Just get a set of Vortex Precision Matched rings and mount it on your 20 MOA base.

umC3brY.jpg

Reactions: Thunderhorse
Thanks! I did look at the specs more closely and based on that I am going to go with the 1.00" Vortex/Seekins rings. That's a great looking rifle BTW

Thanks! I did look at the specs more closely and based on that I am going to go with the 1.00" Vortex/Seekins rings. That's a great looking rifle BTW

Thanks. Those are the .95" height rings by the way and a med palma barrel.