• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Member - First build

3006spokane

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
North Spokane, WA
This is my first bolt gun build. So far nothing special but I'm already hooked and want to keep adding more to it.

Rifle is a Remmy 700 SPS chambered in 30-06. I started out with a Leupold 3-9x40mm rifleman but I knew the rifle far exceeded the glass so I started looking around for budget build stuff and that has me were it is at present.

As of last night I added a Harris HBR bipod and a Barska 10-40x50mm scope. Like a dummy though I bought the wrong rings. I needed standard medium rings for my current Leupold base and I bought dual dovetails so the scope is currently mounted on a spare weaver base and the crappy Barska rings that came with the glass. I'll be fixing that today though and by replacing with the correct Luepold rings. I also downloaded the Ballistic: FTE program for the Iphone to supplement for those long range days.

With the previous set up I had only made shots at 100yds. With the new glass, bipod and software I'm going to go out to the range take some shots at 500, 700 and 1000yds.

I'm currently looking into what options I have for a heavy barrel and an upgraded action/bolt. Not quite as easy as the .308 for finding those goodies.

Anyway here are a a few pics that I took on my crappy phone so sorry for the quality. I was excited and had to post my progress.
laugh.gif

e25857ab.jpg

4b9d7a62.jpg

91eb8d67.jpg

You can see my Leupold found itself another home already on my DPMS Panther 16

Re: New Member - First build

Just an IMO, but I think you went downhill scopewise.
For what you want to do, the best buys out there are the Bushnell 3200 or SWFA Super Sniper at 10X with mil dots.
You won't find too many folks here having anything good to say about Barska.
Nothing wrong with an 06', as the old saying goes, "if you can't get it done with a 30-06, maybe you shouldn't be trying it."
It was winning 1000 yard matches before the 308 or any of the "modern" cartridges were even thought of. Don't worry about upgrades until you can shoot well enough to justify it and you wear out that 06 barrel. The most important component is "the nut behind the bolt."
Good shooting!

Thanks for the comment. I already knew that the Barska wasn't the best scope when I went forward with the buy but but beings that it was my first build I didn't want to dive right into a high dollar piece of glass. I'd like to build this one on a budget first and then when I build my .308 I'll stick to the high end pieces.

With my Leupold I was to be honest pretty disappointed in it because I get quite a bit of vibration as well as haze. I'm still learning the ropes of the glass side of these things and I have a long way to go but this rifle is more meant to prove to myself that I can build something that can get the distance done.

you might send the leupy in for waranty work if its hazing up on you agter you take a shot. its worth a try. i think the glass is the most important thing(imho). good luck with your build.

You can't go wrong sinking your hard earned $$$ into quality glass! You can upgrade all kinds of things on your rifle, but other than buying new there's not much you can do to improve that scope.... I'd Ebay that Barska & look at the Super Sniper, Falcon Menace, or Bushnell's for quality lower priced optics... JMHO... I do love me a good 30.06 though! Best of luck with her!

Since you have a good long action, I'd build a 280 AI before a 308. The higher SD bullets in 284 will blow away a 308 when you get away out there. Or maybe a 6.5x 284.

Just some pointers as I am on the same road as you...just a little further down. With a budget (and first time) build in mind, I picked up a 700ADL 30-06. Do some research on that cartrige. You will see that with todays modern components that its not just another military round retired to hunting duty.

Also...just an opinion, ditch the barska. They get you with all the features so the can skimp on quality. Cheapest bet would be the Bushnell 3200 tactical ( i use it, it works), and Ive seen that scope survive extended use on .50BMGs as well.

Your scope isnt going to do you any good if it has a crappy mount. 99.999999% of the setups you see are usually a Picatinny rail, with picatinny/weaver rings. Usually pretty heavy duty. I am using Millett rings, on the factory 2 pc. weaver base that the rifle came with. Upgrade to a 20 MOA base is the next on the list.

The most important thing you can do is shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. You can have all the fancy doodads, and whosawhatsits on your rifle, wont do you any good unless you know whare your natural point of aim is, where the trigger breaks at, or if you have a bad flinch. Dont get sucked into upgrades. See if the stock of comfortable. For me the sporter stock sucked, it was flimsy, and off balance. So I replaced it.
I also took up reloading as well. This has allowed me to fine tune my rifle. It holds just under an inch now at 100. So far I have done most of the work myself.
Here is a pic I just took
marpat.jpg

marpat2.jpg

'Spokane,

A couple comments for ya, meant to be helpful.

I agree with desertrat regarding the Barska. Since you already own it, it's too late to tell you to use the money to put M1 turrets on your 3-9X Leupold ($130 at the Leupold Custom Shop)and you would have a most serviceable starter scope.

I can see that your Barska is in some very high rings. If you can drop it down some it will greatly aid in cheek weld from prone. Better yet, ditch the Barska and go with the Bushnell 3200 10X, it's a far better optic at a budget price.

Also, on your AR15, looks like you have that Leupold in rings way too low for comfort. That's where you want the super high rings.

Anyhow, it's a road with no end. Looks like you have taken your first steps. Welcome to the 'hide.

Another ditch the Barska. You can pick up used Bushy 3200 10x for pretty cheap as they are a starter scope that is usually upgraded and sold. If your are going to shoot out to 1000 yds you will likely need a canted base. An EGW 20 moa base and Burris XTR rings are a popular and low priced choice. Maybe some trigger adjustments and you will be ready to go.

Thanks for the additional comments. I have already dropped the barska. The factory rings sucked which by the sounds of it match the glass anyway. They did sit super high so I ditched them along with the weaver base and went back to my Leupold STD base and picked up a set of Leupold STD medium rings. The glass sits just off the barrel now.

I'll look into the Bushnell. I have also been looking at a Nikon buckmaster but haven't heard much. I have seen that the Nikons are generally decent so I'm interested to hear what some of you think of that as an option.

The Leupold on the AR is definitely way low. I have been meaning to change out the hand guard and get a removable front sight but just haven't got around to it. It does work for about 100 - 200yds but anything closer and the front sight is an obstruction. I'll look into some new rings for that as well though.

I can vouch the Nikon Buck Master. I have a 4.5-14x40 side focus with mil dot reticle on my Savage BTVS 17hmr. It has been true through a small amount of knob turning. Works well and decent glass for around $200 used.

The Nikon Buckmaster with the Mildot reticle is the best bet....don't worry about the mildot being too complicated for now....just trry to use it as a hold over point....but learn with it and get used to looking and sizing known distance targets. I walked my 4.5-14 Nikon up to 1000 yards a few weeks ago and back down to 600 yards...they are great scopes for the money. Had one on my 300WM for a few years and it always tracked great. Buris Picatany rings can be had for $40 and a EGW 20moa canted base for $40...the Buckmaster can be well under $300 for new some times.

Check out the Mimbers link up section for the SHWW and central WA groups....it is the section just above the For Sale section...for me the absolutly best thing for my skill improvment and continuing improvement is shooting with other knowladgable shooters....not the guy at the local range going " Man that rifle is heavy!!! Awfly big scope....that must be a real tough rifle to shoot!"

Find experience and watch and learn...when we go shooting in the groups the campfire has almost as much learning as the firing line.