• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New member, first post, PRS build questions.

iceathlete

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2022
USA
If this question has been beaten to death I apologize for repeating the ask.
I'm new to competitive shooting and live where a high number of PRS matches are within a few hours drive for me.
Building a PRS rifle and trying to decide on BRA or GT.
As of this posting I cant find any BRA brass, I don't mind fire forming br if needed. Also can't find any BRA ammo.
GT brass seems less hard to find and eagle eye has some GT ammo in stock.
Building from scratch, and I have no dies or brass of of now. Which direction would you go?
Also looked at the top 30 guys in PRS and the majority are running dasher, with a few BRA, and NO GT. Can anyone comment on that?
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Reactions: 338dude
I went from 6.5 Creedmoor to 6 BRA after research. I chose 6 BRA because I had met many shooters moving or moved to it with great success. I also liked the fact that it has a longer neck than the Dasher or GT, so when I'm seating bullets I have a little more "runway" to use for optimal seating depth. I LOVE Alpha 6 BRA brass because there was NO breakin. I literally loaded a decent weight based on input from my facebook community (https://www.facebook.com/groups/326986514743858/) and shot a match...Had the best match that far in my PRS shooting! Dasher is also a good round and being used more and more. The other thing I liked about the 6 BRA is that I can run slower FPS (currently 2760) and prolong my barrel life AND, a lot of the pros are slowing down so they can track their bullet trace after the shot.

Included some links below...Good luck!

I started PRS a while back with 6.5 Creedmoor and wanted to move to the 6mm world. Common advice to me from many better PRS shooters was get a 6mm BR. Yes, multiple threads on this topic and many have "get 6BR" comments. If you do not reload then 6GT or 6mm Creedmoor may be better.

Thank you for all the comments. I will be reloading my own ammo. Just because of availability it looks like if I don't go GT then i will be going BR factory lapua cartridges and fireforming to BRA.
I've never had to just by brass or powder to reload, and as you know everyone is out of everything. Has it been this way for a while? I'd love to get into this sport but how do i precure 5000 rounds of supply so I can start throwing it down range in the next few months?

Last edited:
All the supplies for 6BR or 6BRXXX are out there and popping up more daily - it really becomes a question of $$$$. Most of the 6mm something shooters I know have 300 to 500 cases and reuse those. Big question is do you have small rifle primers or large rifle primers in hand now (if you have large rifle primers in hand that may lead to a different caliber discussion)?

All the supplies for 6BR or 6BRXXX are out there and popping up more daily - it really becomes a question of $$$$. Most of the 6mm something shooters I know have 300 to 500 cases and reuse those. Big question is do you have small rifle primers or large rifle primers in hand now (if you have large rifle primers in hand that may lead to a different caliber discussion)?
Don't have them in hand but see that CCI 450 smalls are readily available on Gunbroker.com so that was going to be my source. Can't find any berger hybrid's right now so if i must i could use hornady atip, allthough i'm not excited about paying .40 more per bullet than the berger 105 hybrid.

This,

If you dont have anything on hand it’ll be easier to source Staball for 6GT than Varget/H4350 for a BR based case.

the opposite scenario when it comes to primers at least on my area. Lots of SRP and straight BR brass but no LRP so the issue gets flipped on you.

Still finding LRP is easier than finding Varget/H4350 at the moment

Bullets are available right now in the 108/110 class

Don't have them in hand but see that CCI 450 smalls are readily available on Gunbroker.com so that was going to be my source. Can't find any berger hybrid's right now so if i must i could use hornady atip, allthough i'm not excited about paying .40 more per bullet than the berger 105 hybrid.
OK so this is what I'm using and getting sub 5.0 SD's and sub 10 ES's in my 6 BRA loads

Powder: H4895, but it's hard to find. I just bought some Reloder 15.5 and will test that. IMR4895 is also giving me good results. DON'T use H4350 because you won't be able to fill the case with enough powder to get over 2,750 fps which for me is the sweet spot for my rifle and cartridge.
Bullet: Tried Bergers, didn't work for me. I have gone to and will stick with Sierra MatchKing 107's...They are awesome in my load and rifle, are reasonably priced and readily available. Buddy uses Hornady ELD-M's and they work for him...didn't work for me.
Case: Alpha...Period. I get at least 15 reloads per case. I have 700 cases...You don't need more than that, but less may have you reloading more often for practice and matches.
Primer: CCI-450. Go to AmmoSeek.com and save a search for them...Some sites will screw you on the hazmat, others are cheaper.

Hope this helps a little. Next you'll need to buy the $2,000 - $3,000 worth of reloading equipment!

Reactions: iceathlete
Couple of threads about just competing with factory ammo too!