• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New member from down under

Mad Possum

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2020
Hi team,

Thanks for the add, been listening to the everyday sniper podcast for a while as I usually go out fishing solo so the podcast is good company. Finally got around to checking out the forum. Sooooo much good info here!! will try and soak it up.
Ruger predator in 223 REM 2020 made, 4-12 scope. shooting 55gr currently
Shortage of ammo at times here in Aus so currently got a few boxes of russian made 223 metal jacket stuff. shoots ok.
Have polished the bolt up a bit (could do a bit more I think) but its much smoother now. was very rough to the point of serration on it and would jam while dry firing.
Have also free floated the barrel, reduced the trigger weigh and filled the butt with closed cell foam and gorilla glue. Thats helped reduce the flex and movement.
I've fitted a bipod now thats made it a little heavier and a muzzle brake. the muzzle brake has made so much difference. Yesterday at the range a guy breaking in his 243 styer next to me had a shot of mine and was very surprised how little kick it had.
I've dislocated my right shoulder 7 times so it really can't take much punishment. I've been adapting my posture to bring the butt closer to the centre of my chest, definitely more comfortable for the shoulder.
Looking forward to learning more, thanks everyone.

Welcome. Two Aussies at the top of the new member section! I am somewhat fascinated by the fact that you guys still manage to own and shoot over there. We have a lot of UK members too, they've got a lot of obstacles and difficulty from their government to procure/own firearms. Just curious, did you have to fill out a "why I need it" paper to own that 223?

Hi AA,

took almost 18months (due partially to me taking my time but also thanks to the licensing department loosing my paperwork for 6months.
I did need to rationalise my 223, range shooting was sufficient reason for them. The trouble is when you want a 2nd 223 they say no cause your current gun should be enough. Strange laws.
Licensed gun ownership is higher now than anytime previous in Aus. Good times.
And plenty of wild bore to shoot around here!

18 months eh? Wow that's insane. And no second 223, bummer. What about another caliber? Would you be able to get a 6.5CM for example without much fuss?

yeh not sure if i'll go 6.5 or 308 next. 308 is much easier to get over here. Yeh 2nd rifle shouldn't be an issue, will just say I'm trying to shoot further lol!
I have a stuffed shoulder tho so will need to use all the recoil reduction methods available (muzzle brakes etc).

How are suppressors to get for you guys? They're a pain in the US. It's so strange, I believe it's Norway you can just walk up to the counter and buy one.

Very happy, picked up 200 rounds of Aussie outback spec ammo on the weekend for $155! good price for down under.
Also scored a bipod in the clearance section for my wife, she's very happy with it.

welcome

every state in Oz has different rules much like the states.
every registry make up their own rules and personnel are not always switched on. lights are on but no ones home.
in my state i can have as many of the same calibre as i want.
some states have a limit to how many rifles and pistols you can own.
pistol use is limited to the range and illegal to use on a property. yes stupid rule.
here we need a reason to acquire a firearms license.
the reasons, either join a shooting club, permission to shoot on a property or own your own business/employed for pest control of varmints.
we cant even own a suppressor if not a in the professional varmint control business.
some states have stupid appearance laws, if it looks like an AR it must be an AR.
the cheapest .223 ammo that shoots good in my rifle is the Hornady TAP 60gr at $150AUD for 200. yes we get reamed on pricing.
the worst .223 ammo that i've shot is flemmington match ammo.
i've given up on factory ammo and reload for all my rifles minus the rimfire obviously.

Reactions: archangel485
I'd like to start reloading eventually... maybe when I'm doing less hours at work. full time work plus overtime every week plus on call... tonights shift could be 9hrs or blow out to 17hrs.

ammo for the 6.5 should be ok to find here. I shot a 243 recently and the recoil was ok. Have been told the recoil is very similar between the 6.5 and the .243 so thats good news.