• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Member from Southern California

The Savage Rabbit

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2021
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi guys. I'm a life long shooter/hunter and local competitive pistol shooter. After putting it off for so many years, I bought my first longer range rifle and scope. Although I am now excited about this, my original thinking was that a "gun guy" really ought to have a quality scoped rifle and know how to use it. My goal was to end up with a "1,000+ yard rifle" that wasn't too big and heavy to hunt with, but it would mainly be used for playing sniper at the range.

I chose the Christensen Arms MPR in 6.5 CM with a steel 22" barrel. For an optic, I went with the Leupold Mk 5 HD 5-25x56 in Mrad. I'm using a UGT (I think) bipod and a little rear bag. I took the flat Trigger Tech trigger down to 1 pound 9 ounces. My initial goal was to properly set up the rifle and then my goal was to connect at 1,000 yards sometime in 2022.

I took the rifle to the range last Sunday, a day on which I was in a good mood and feeling patient.
CA MPR 6.5 CM.jpg
After zeroing at 100 yards, I played around with shots at 600, 800, 900, and 1,000 yards. Through some trial and error and realizing that the shooting angle matters a lot, I went 5 for 20 at 1,000 yards. I don't know the size of the targets. That's it. I'm hooked. This is awesome.

Tomorrow I'm taking 5 boxes of Hornady 143 grain ELD-X to the Lake Piru, CA range to finalize my 100 yard zero and then create a drop chart in my DOPE book for that round.

This site has been a wealth of information for me as I get started with precision rifle shooting. Thanks guys.

- Jack

Reactions: nikonNUT