• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Onyx

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2020
New York
Hello Everyone,

I am the new owner of a Remington 700 Tactical in .308 with a 16.5 5R barrel:

R700.jpg

• KRG Bravo Chassis
  • Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44mm FFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS-HUD-DMR scope
    • Nightforce - Rem 700 SA 1913 Mil-Std - 20 MOA base
  • Timney Trigger at 3lbs
  • Strike Industries King Comp
  • KRG Bolt Lift
My firearm journey started with a desire for precision shooting. The firearm described above is what I dreamed my first firearm would be, but that was not practical. Now with access to a range, I am looking to see what I am actually capable of.

Lurking around has made me want to make some additional purchases in the up coming months. What would you all recommend? So far I am thinking

Snipers Hide Data Book​
Shooting Bag Set​
Binoculars​

Nice rifle, hope his majesty Cuomo (aka the butcher of NY) lets you keep it.

Reactions: Onyx
Welcome aboard, and cute stick. You're gonna want a Harris Bi-Pod, a few different rear squeeze bags, some Butler Creek Flip Up Scope Caps, a LabRadar Chrony, Shoot'n Mat, and a 200 Rd Case of both FGMM 168's and 175's. And some good ear protection. ;)

Welcome aboard, and cute stick. You're gonna want a Harris Bi-Pod, a few different rear squeeze bags, some Butler Creek Flip Up Scope Caps, a LabRadar Chrony, Shoot'n Mat, and a 200 Rd Case of both FGMM 168's and 175's. And some good ear protection. ;)
Harris BiPod ?

You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

• Wow
Reactions: 1J04
Where in NY there are more of us on here than you think.
I’m Long Island

welcome and nice

Ignore Uncle Schartz.

skip the labradar. Find a guy on here near you and get dope with his or a magnetospeed.

for sure need a rear bag and bipod. Only get a mat if you are OLD!
im 40 and still just drop in the rocks on cement if at an actual range.
builds character and elbow scars.
really though, I have used a cheap foam camping mat for extended sessions. More mo

cheap foamies work for outdoors.

as for ammo, good luck.
FGMM as described both work well for me.
as does most any of the Hornady match flavors, and the Hornady Black 155 AMAX just hammers out of 3 rifles I have tried it in.

Reactions: Threadcutter308

Thank you so much.

Interesting that you recommending a Harris Bi-Pod over a front bag. are Bi-pods good for bench and PRS matches?

Is there a brand for squeeze bags, shooting mat, and ears protection you have had success with?

welcome and nice

Ignore Uncle Schartz.

skip the labradar. Find a guy on here near you and get dope with his or a magnetospeed.

for sure need a rear bag and bipod. Only get a mat if you are OLD!
im 40 and still just drop in the rocks on cement if at an actual range.
builds character and elbow scars.
really though, I have used a cheap foam camping mat for extended sessions. More mo

cheap foamies work for outdoors.

as for ammo, good luck.
FGMM as described both work well for me.
as does most any of the Hornady match flavors, and the Hornady Black 155 AMAX just hammers out of 3 rifles I have tried it in.

Thank you as well.

I will look into finding a buddy/spotter/mentor.

Mat will wait until I find a range that I can go prone and not just bench shoot.

FGMM is non-existant and I just bought some Hornady Black 155 AMAX and have been looking all over the hide for a review. So thank you for affirming that I did not waste my money on low-grade ammo.

Reactions: powdahound76
Have a vacation home in Margaretville on Rt28
1 hour due west of Kingston exit off thruway

I might have missed it but what distance are you shooting.
off bench or ground

Bench shooting

Get a atlas bipod but a Harris will do

Any rear bag. Ears no ears...bench shooting is not the most demanding on gear. Your always in the “correct” position.

Take a look at the video and videos online about squaring up behind the bench not using the cut outs.

Will help spot shots and will help when you transfer to prone as well.

If your using factory Ammo don’t worry about a chromo yet.

A data book is fine but unless you are really going to write down every shot and fill out the data it’s a waste of money.

Your not wearing out a 308 barrel anytime soon so round count is really not important.

Same with wind, light conditions, mirage...100 yards with factory Ammo. I wouldn’t waste my time really.

Bench shooting

Get a atlas bipod but a Harris will do

Any rear bag. Ears no ears...bench shooting is not the most demanding on gear. Your always in the “correct” position.

Take a look at the video and videos online about squaring up behind the bench not using the cut outs.

Will help spot shots and will help when you transfer to prone as well.

If your using factory Ammo don’t worry about a chromo yet.

A data book is fine but unless you are really going to write down every shot and fill out the data it’s a waste of money.

Your not wearing out a 308 barrel anytime soon so round count is really not important.

Same with wind, light conditions, mirage...100 yards with factory Ammo. I wouldn’t waste my time really.
Atlas Bipod, rear bag, and videos. What an expensive hobby I've gotten myself into.

Atlas Bipod, rear bag, and videos. What an expensive hobby I've gotten myself into.

It’s not expensive yet.

Just keep telling yourself that...

it’s all you need and your fine. Because you really are.

Once you let the forums get a hold of you, that’s when the money piles up.

You will be more than fine with that set up for the remainder of your days.

Videos are free on YouTube, they don’t need to be from here.

It’s not expensive yet.

This is accurate. I'm shooting an aftermarket action in an AI chassis now and performance-wise, I'm not sure it's noticeably any better than a stock tikka for $600.

When (if) you wear out your barrel, a remage nut and a prefit is all you'll ever really need. Maybe throw on some last gen/closeout glass at some point down the road if you want to reach way out there. With your rig, cash is best spent on ammo and reloading components. Do your best not to get roped into keeping up with the joneses.

It’s not expensive yet.

Are there any YouTube channels you would recommend? So far I have found success watching the National Shooting Sports Foundation | NSSF list of videos.