• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

new member, new savage 110BA/338LM many questions

nova-birdman

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Deleted after reading "what not to ask thread", and while I did search, and lurked, and read numerous threads, before posting, the bulk of my questions fall into the broad "things not to ask" categories. Apologies.

Re: new member, new savage 110BA/338LM many questions

Ha! That was not a thread created by a moderator, but rather just an annoyed member. I have the 110ba in 338lm. I have not fired it a whole lot but have learned a thing or two about it. If you have questions feel free to pm me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha! That was not a thread created by a moderator, but rather just an annoyed member. I have the 110ba in 338lm. I have not fired it a whole lot but have learned a thing or two about it. If you have questions feel free to pm me. </div></div>

I'll PM you! Thanks! Glad to hear it wasn't a moderator initiated thing, it seemed very "GTFO noob" to someone who joined to learn and heard this was the place to look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoVa birdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha! That was not a thread created by a moderator, but rather just an annoyed member. I have the 110ba in 338lm. I have not fired it a whole lot but have learned a thing or two about it. If you have questions feel free to pm me. </div></div>

I'll PM you! Thanks! Glad to hear it wasn't a moderator initiated thing, it seemed very "GTFO noob" to someone who joined to learn and heard this was the place to look.
</div></div>

Ignore the trolls, some of these guys talk really big on the internet.

dont worry about the "what not to ask". That is the stupidest thread I have ever seen. Dont wanna read a ? then dont... lol

ANYWAYS, You have a fine rifle there. I shoot the 338 LM as well. Get into reloading yet lol?

Just started into reloading, putting together all my equipment, before this I just shot factory match ammo (shorter ranges, 200-400m with various rifles), but with this rifle, reloading is a MUST! (for for $ and accuracy) (and I can't wait, it appeals to the nerd in me).

Bodywerks took my questions over PM and sent me a ton of good advice. I was going to shoot the 100rnds of hornady I have (don't worry, lapua brass on the way) first to do an initial zero and see what the ballistics are, and get used to the rifle, and then try some loads.

I was going to do my first 200 rounds of reloads as the following experiment (at 200-400m, a friend has 1300m on his property, but he doesn't get back from AF until winter):
100 lapua cases
100 hornady cases
250gr Sierra BTHP
300gr Lapua scenar

I was going to do 50/50/50/50 of each bullet-case combination, with the following breakout: (starting with retumbo powder)
10/15/15/10 round of each powder (10 at the starting load, then 15/15/10 at the next three steps from the guide, with the last one BELOW max. That should give me a good initial set (examining fired cases at each level before moving up).

After that, I'm going to concentrate on the lapua brass (as advised by just about everyone), and working from the accurate range for each of the bullets, work on the seating depth to find the accuracy node ranges using 100 rounds to fine tune the retumbo combination (load and seating depth) for each of the bullet types, and use 100 other rounds to do the initial load range for those bullets with v570 (if I can find it) or H4831sc (if I can't), and continue that cycle (next would be the 300gr sierra and 250gr lapua scenar) until I have a good set of initial load/seating depth combinations for at least 2 powders and 4 bullets. Then pick the top-2 and work from there.

It seems that the above should give me not only a lot of practice with both rifle and reloading, but also well establish the ballistics of this rifle and rounds.

Also, if anyone cares to chime in, I'm mounting a leupold mk4 LR/T 6.5-20x50 for glass (though my usmc/scout-sniper cousin says I should go schmidt and bender...of course, he doesn't have to pay the difference ;), and a harris bipod (I've used them many times before and like them).

In any case, I'll be sure to post what results I get with both my practice and load development (following the appropriate forum and posting rules, of course)

Thoughts?

Well, first trip to the range went great. Did a 100yd zero from a rough boresight, and shot a few 3-shot groups at that range, best was ~0.6 MOA (but doesn't count, it doesn't fit the rules for posting).

After that went over to the 400yd range. Entered the new yardage, line of sight angle, etc, into my ballistic calculator, and first shot was on paper, within 1 MOA of aimpoint! I shot 3 5-shot groups at 400, (all with the Hornady factory 250gr ammo) and most were ~1 MOA horizontal (I suck), and ~0.6-0.8 MOA vertical, at this point I was getting very excited and my shooting was going to crap, so I called it a day, went back to the 100 and played with my AR some more.

Overall, not bad, and I could tell which shots were off based on my own shooting (even before I spotted the hits, I knew they would be off due to jerking or something like that). Recoil was manageable, as was noise, glass worked out great.

Overall opinion...can't wait to go again (going this weekend) and I can't wait to try out some handloads with the 300gr bullets.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm very happy with my purchase!

This weekend I'll concentrate more on my shooting and post some groups...at the least you can all laugh at me (kidding), but it will be good to see in the future where I started from.
smile.gif