• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New member, new to precision

Ben.8

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2021
Wausau, WI 54401, USA
Hello all,
Found this group while searching the internet for good information. I am a Midwestern Deputy and already I have noticed I am one of the few "gun guys" in my office. My interest and effort to constantly improve my shooting has lead to me earning a SWAT Sniper position on our part-time team (we are a midsized for the area, but probably considered small compared to big cities).

I am going to basic sniper course in a few weeks and am trying to read any book I can that will be helpful. I read a pdf of "The Ultimate Sniper" cover to cover. I found it helpful but outdated and military centric. A lot of the LE stuff was left vague so the bad guys wouldn't know police tactics. Of any one has some book recommendations, please send them my way or point me to a thread.

I will likely enter the long distance shooting civilian game too. I am researching hard what to spend money on when I finally get around to it. In the mean time I can check my work rifle out frequently and shoot it.

The closest thing I have to a long range rifle is a 18" 6.8 SPC AR that I built with good quality parts. Considering a .224 upper since I'm already in that direction and AR 10s are pricey. Also Considering a bolt gun. I already reload so I have that part already invested in.

Reactions: DustBun
Welcome. I would suggest taking a PR1 with @lowlight . Its a great place to build your foundation from

Reactions: Ben.8