• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New member question. 6.5 PRC or .28 Nosler

BOstrom

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2022
South Dakota
I’m new here so please excuse me if this has been asked a million times. Looking to do more long distance shooting. I’m torn between the 6.5 PRC and the .28 Nosler. I will be doing mostly target shooting but would not rule out some hunting (deer, antelope, coyote). Can you guys/gals give me some feed back with pros and cons. I’ve been doing lots of reading but want some real world feedback also. Thanks for your time. Happy shooting.

Reactions: The D
Neither.
I would go 6.5 creedmoor for your application. Cheaper to shoot, better barrel life and less recoil.
The 6.5 creedmoor would be ideal for your hunting needs aswell.

Reactions: Bakwa and 65x55guy
Just depends what you define long distance as. I shoot both 6.5 PRC and 28 Nosler as dedicated hunting rifles but neither of them for just banging steel at 1k and in. For Deer, speed goats and coyotes you really wouldn't need the PRC or 28. I do however use my 6.5PRC for Mule Deer here in the west.

Reactions: Bakwa and BOstrom
28 nosler is a barrel torching behemoth of a 7mm, with no match ammo availability. The 6.5 PRC is expensive, with limited match ammo availability, and also hard on barrels.

You didn’t define long distance, but a standard Creedmoor would be a much better choice.

6.5 PRC is excellent for Mule Deer and Elk even. Using 10+ extra grains of power per round over the CM and better for slinging the heavier pills. Factory ammo can be double the cost of CM. Barrel life is probably half depending. Plinking steel at 1k with a CM is easily doable and will kill all 3 game animals you mention with ease.

28 nosler is whole nother animal. 80 grains of powder per round and is getting up there with the Normas / Lapua based cartridges. More of a barrel burner. But it does move 195gr pills over 3k with ease. So you may only get 800 rounds out of one. Brass and components are much more and factory offerings are expensive and few and far between. Think 4 plus bucks a round.

Still need to know how far your shooting. If you tell me your going to bang steel at a mile mainly then this changes things. Most guys have a bang steel gun and then hunting guns. But 308, and 6.5cm cross over well and have much better barrel life.

Reactions: BOstrom
Of those two... PRC.
Another vote for Creed though, if those are your goals. Target shooting a lot with a 28 Nosler doesn't sound all that fun, especially for your wallet.

What distances will you be shooting?

As stated above 6 and 6.5CM will probably do everything you want. the smaller calibers are more economical and generally more fun to shoot. not to mention more options for ammo.

6.5 PRC is basically a magnum Creedmoor. pushing the same bullets 2-300fps faster. with increased recoil.

The 28 nosler is a long action caliber and probably more comparable to the 300PRC.

I suggest visiting several gun stores and look at what ammo is available and the cost. if you reload then look at what components are available. Do you want to shoot $2, $3, or $4 dollar bills every time you pull the trigger? target practice uses way more ammo than hunting. If you're shooting 100rds every time you go out that cost adds up fast.

OF the two--PRC (ammo availability--even if you reload--go on a hunt and handloads can't be shipped? Grab some 6.5 PRC at the store.)

But I am with the (very wise) peanut gallery-- a 6.5 Creed will get you all game in the lower 48 and out to 1200 yards with ease (probably more).

A 6 creed is probably ok for all but the largest Moose/Elk. (people hunt moose with 30-30 btw...)

6.5 PRC is excellent for Mule Deer and Elk even. Using 10+ extra grains of power per round over the CM and better for slinging the heavier pills. Factory ammo can be double the cost of CM. Barrel life is probably half depending. Plinking steel at 1k with a CM is easily doable and will kill all 3 game animals you mention with ease.

28 nosler is whole nother animal. 80 grains of powder per round and is getting up there with the Normas / Lapua based cartridges. More of a barrel burner. But it does move 195gr pills over 3k with ease. So you may only get 800 rounds out of one. Brass and components are much more and factory offerings are expensive and few and far between. Think 4 plus bucks a round.

Still need to know how far your shooting. If you tell me your going to bang steel at a mile mainly then this changes things. Most guys have a bang steel gun and then hunting guns. But 308, and 6.5cm cross over well and have much better barrel life.
Thanks for the feed back. Looking to start hitting steel at 1k but want to be able to get to 1 mile at some point. I have hunting guns now but would like to have a single long distance all around bun for now. Who knows If this is something I really enjoy I might end up with a second long range set up.

Thanks for the feed back. Looking to start hitting steel at 1k but want to be able to get to 1 mile at some point. I have hunting guns now but would like to have a single long distance all around bun for now. Who knows If this is something I really enjoy I might end up with a second long range set up.
If 1 mile is on the horizon somewhere, just plan on buying two guns.

6.5CM is my advise.
If you reload, I'd even look into 6.5x47, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, etc... but they're all incredibly similar.
6.5CM is just an easy choice for a multi purpose round like what you're asking for with today's market the way it is.

Will you be reloading your own ammo?

If yes; pick whatever round you want. You’ll have to learn about any cartridge’s pros, cons, & trade offs but there’s no “wrong”answer. I reload so I’m very biased toward convincing everyone to roll their own, fyi

If no; I know it doesn’t sound exciting but 6.5 cm is the easy answer. Buying from a smaller ammo manufacturer will open up your options some but it will also increase the cost a bit