• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New member with Rem 700 question.

KeithR41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    Hi. I'm a sniper on my dept. Tac team. I shoot a Rem 700 PSS, 26bbl, Leupold MK IV 4.5-14.

I am required to shoot FED. 168 GMM factory ammo for duty. However, for practice I found a hand load that shoots my cold bore to the same point of aim as my duty ammo. (I have to handload for my own practice due to the dept. budget.) I obviously shoot the Fed. stuff during Dept. sanctioned training.

41.5 IMR
    168 SMK
    Fed. Brass (match brass from duty ammo)
    CCI primer.

All cases are trimed to 2.005, chamfered and deburred.

Anyway, my handload will consistently shoot .5 MOA. My duty ammo is hard pressed to match that and I'm usually pretty lucky to get 1 MOA, usually a little larger.

My local gunsmith said that factory ammo is sized smaller than reloads so it will fit in all different chambers. He suggested I have a thread taken off my barrell to tighten the chamber when I have it removed to thread for my suppressor (Hopefully soon it the ATF ever get done with my F4.) I'll also be having the action done.

I guess my question is, Can I fix this problem or should I get a new barrell and have it chambered to my duty load?

Thanks, KeithR41

Re: New member with Rem 700 question.

Hi your smith is actualy incorect, The fed ammo has new brass thet usualy is slightly smaler in the sides of the case but it should headspace on the shoulder if the cases are not headspacing the rifle may have excessive headspace when you have fired the cases and sized them they do fit the chamber better, the main advantage you will have is that you can measure anweigh your powder more accuratly during handloading and make sure they are nit knocked around in an automatic loading machine.

If he cuts a thread of the barrel that will not fix it if he felt their was excessive headspace then the shoulder of the barrel could be skimmed an exact measured amount to close on a GO guage so it is in minimum specifications for headspace. He may be saying that you should have a tight match chamber cut by setting the barrel back and re cutting the chamber to a tight palma type with minimum specifications my advice DON"T do that. if you have the rifle rechambered have it done with a M852 chamber as that is a match chamber that is within SAAMI specifications and will functioln in adverse conditions.

If the rifle is shooting 1/2" groups with hand loads leave it alone i know you want to shoot as well as possible but if you can shoot your cold bore shot to the same POI every time and your groups are consistantly running around the inch mark dont wory their wont be many times that it willnot work for you.

Also if you have the rifle worked on and use it in the heat of the moment then some lawyer gets wind that the rifle has been modified your ass might be on the line.

Any work you have done on your rifle make sure it is fully doccumented and is all approved through your department and all comes within factory specifications.

Thanks Bill.

It seems odd to me that my cold bore with both types of ammo is the same. Why would the groups open up with the factory MATCH stuff but not mine if they both shoot the same initially.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems odd to me that my cold bore with both types of ammo is the same. Why would the groups open up with the factory MATCH stuff but not mine if they both shoot the same initially.</div></div>

Keith I have gone through the exact same thing with my 700 (same action and chamber as yours).

Your cold bore is the same because you are shooting the same projectile at almost exactly the same velocity in both the FGMM and your handloads.

Your handloads are tighter because the brass is "fireformed" to your chamber. This causes them to have less tolerance than the FGMM which has to chamber in everything.

I had spoken with well known local 'smith about setting back my barrel and rechambering it with a tighter chamber specifically for Federal Gold Metal Match. That will tighten groups up.

HOWEVER as stated above, if you are shooting 1 MOA or better with duty ammo and 1/2 MOA with handloads LEAVE THE RIFLE ALONE!!!! That is basically what I came down to. My rifle is as accurate as I can expect out of a factory barrel and works well with my duty load. I won't touch it until it opens up (other than chopping the barrel back to 20").

Here is one thing to keep in mind and something I discussed with my smith. I asked him to price out cutting/threading/setting back and rechambering my stock barrel. Then I started thinking about it. All the processes that I was going to pay him to do were the same he would have to go through with a new match blank to rebarrel the rifle. First he told me he would only do all that work to my factory barrel if it looked ok to him. (he values his name and won't put it on crap) second he stated for $300 more we could just use a Pac-Nor Supermatch barrel and have a much better finished rifle. When it's all said and done if you have the chamber recut, it's still a factory barrel.

BTW, what IMR are you using? I was loading 42.6gr of RE-15 under a 168 SMK to duplicate Gold Metal Match, but at lower ambient temps it seems a bit to much, grouping higher than FGMM.

I have some IMR 4895 that I may try.

Sorry. IMR 4895

I'll probably cut my barrell to 16.5 so it will be the same length with my suppressor installed as it is now. I'm not to worried about the velocity loss since most of our shooting is within 100yds. I've been shooting out to 300 but mostly just for fun. Not much call for that distance in a city situation.

Anyway, I'll get a new barrell eventually. I work part-time at my local gun shop so I have a pretty good in with our gunsmith. It won't actually cost me much to have all my barrell work done so I may as well do it until I can afford the barrell I want.

Keith