• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

john smallberries

The Lucky Johnson
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2022
kentuckiana
Newbie here. First post. Greetings from Kentuckiana. I'm an old fart who likes to shoot guns. 4 year Vietnam era navy vet. I have my own 100m and 200y range at my home, and mostly shoot from a bench. I've been reloading for years, but am just getting into precision rifle shooting and trying to learn precision reloading. Nothing fancy yet. Still using my RCBS Rockchucker I bought in the late 70's! I load and shoot .308 and .223. I am a forum newbie. I have never posted in any forum anywhere before, so kinda new to this. Over time I will probably ask some real dumb questions, so bear with me. I have been reading posts on the snipershide forum for years, so figured I should probably join. You guys have given me some great info over the years! Thank you all!

Hey all. I'm new to precision reloading. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, I mostly shoot at home 100m and 200y. I bought a SAC headspace comparator for my .308, because I want to setup my dies for a shoulder bump. In the past, I've just been reloading to sami specs, and used the ammo in different guns. Now I would like to reload and size for one gun only. I have watched videos and read posts here on how to do it, but I'm unclear on something. All the stuff I've read and watched never mention case trimming. This is still a necessary step isn't it? I mean the case is fire formed to my rifle, and as mentioned I just want to bump the shoulder a couple thousandths, so do I still trim the case or not? In the full length resize I have been doing, I've been trimming to case length specs given in my reloading manuals. Thanks for any info.

I only trim cases once they start getting out of spec. Since I only bump my shoulders about 0.002”, I only trim every 3-4 loadings. Even then it’s not always exactly needed. Just check your OAL case length after sizing and if you’re in spec, move on.

Reactions: john smallberries