• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing New Mexico Antelope 2011

JimHanks

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2011
Central Texas
Had to show off a bit. This is the 13 1/2" goat taken about 30 miles northwest of Clayton. The rifle is a Surgeon 300 WM with Vortex Razor HD 5-20 shooting a 185 gr. VLD - 3020fps, 74.5 grs. RL-22. The shot was 550 yds. with a full value 15mph crosswind, 59 degrees, elevation 5128 and DA = 7430.
antalope.jpg

Re: New Mexico Antelope 2011

did you use the Kestrel to determine all your information? would you have missed if not for the adjustments?

I really want a kestrel, but not ponied up yet.

How far the shot?

I am going pronghorn hunting at the beginning of October and am quite excited.

Regards,
_DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you use the Kestrel to determine all your information? would you have missed if not for the adjustments?

I really want a kestrel, but not ponied up yet.

How far the shot?

I am going pronghorn hunting at the beginning of October and am quite excited.

Regards,
_DT </div></div>

Yes, Kestrel 4500 and Ballistics FTE. The shot was 550 with full value 15 mph wind, i.e. 15mph @ 90 degrees. Would have I missed? Yes, dope for the rifle is everything. Use the calculations and shoot the distances - the program gets you close but can not replace trigger time at range - just my opinion. My range card was verified to 1000 prior to hunt and used heads up display to account for change in elevation - 499 here at home (zero elevation).

Tburkes - Thanks for the reference; good info for sure. Yes, ya'll are having to suffer through my rather limited photographic abilities!!!! My wife is the photo person. But the picture posted was taken with a Canon PowerShot resting on my pack. If you think that one was bad you should have seen the like 15 of the dirt, sky and my rearend before I got the timer to work right - have to admit some were pretty funny!!! I will get and take an adapter for the camera that fits my spotting/range finder tripod next time. Seriously, Thanks again.