• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Mk5HD 7-35...this dont look right...

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
Ok bought a brand new scope direct from Leupold.

Mk5HD 7-35x56 MIL TMR sku 176124

Was shrink wrapped, all original packaging everything unopened. When I opened it on receipt few days ago, looked used to me. Some kind of oil around the outside of the front objective, maybe sealant? Has it lost its seal? Looks like faint ring marks on the tube where the front ring goes, and some marks on the objective bell. In general not very clean, like its been handled a lot. I have bought other scopes from them before and have never seen this. I cleaned it up and mounted it but today looks like the front is leaking again or whatever its doing.

Ok so went to tr it out today. This scope has 34mils of elevation. It is mounted in a spuhr 5602, 6mil base. I figure 34mils of elevation, so 17mils from center. Add the 6mils from the base, I should get 23mils of available up elevation correct? It will only dial up 19. Not that I plan on using that much, but still why would that be?

Would you send this back?

Pictures from when I first opened it:

BBB4394F-F1DE-4732-B5B0-39735FA21CD9.jpeg
DF4A93B7-906B-4C73-A26A-DCFAD45EA423.jpeg
5798F8D6-92F2-4905-8208-750297F026A3.jpeg

Yes, I would send it back.
I would at least email them the pics.

Can't tell from your post if you actually zeroed at 100yds. I'm guessing you haven't and when you do you won't be able to dial down enough before hitting the zero stop. When you take the turret cap off and run it down to get your zero you will have more up travel.

Send it back....it’s not even a question given Leupold’s customer service. They will take care of you. Call them Monday and they will get the return started...

Oil like substance on the scope, not a big deal. Oil like substance that reappears after you clean it off, big deal. You've got a lot of $$ in a scope that may have a problem, I'd send it back.

Reactions: thegrayham
Can't tell from your post if you actually zeroed at 100yds. I'm guessing you haven't and when you do you won't be able to dial down enough before hitting the zero stop. When you take the turret cap off and run it down to get your zero you will have more up travel.

WTF... I don't think this has much to do with what the OP is stating...

OP, I would send it back...

I have zeroed at 100 already. With a 6.5cm I have enough remaining elevation to get to 1500, so no big deal. Im just curious where the other mils went.

Man I really dont want to send it back if I dont need to. Was hoping someone would chime in and say they have seen it before, its just leftover lube from screwing the objective on, etc. It almost looked like a refurbished unit. Otherwise I like the scope. Ill call Monday and see what they say. They have a great CS rep so Im sure they’ll make it right, if indeed something is wrong.

WTF... I don't think this has much to do with what the OP is stating...

OP, I would send it back...

OP wrote:

Ok so went to tr it out today. This scope has 34mils of elevation. It is mounted in a spuhr 5602, 6mil base. I figure 34mils of elevation, so 17mils from center. Add the 6mils from the base, I should get 23mils of available up elevation correct? It will only dial up 19. Not that I plan on using that much, but still why would that be?

Others already replied to oil, just answering the other half.

OP wrote:

Holy fuck...

Alright you got me. I just went back and re-read. I'll admit it and own up to it and say I was wrong lol.

I'd still like to have that sent back and given a new one. Mostly for peace of mind as I'm sure those scopes are built like tanks. Still though, it does look used.

I have zeroed at 100 already. With a 6.5cm I have enough remaining elevation to get to 1500, so no big deal. Im just curious where the other mils went.

Man I really dont want to send it back if I dont need to. Was hoping someone would chime in and say they have seen it before, its just leftover lube from screwing the objective on, etc. It almost looked like a refurbished unit. Otherwise I like the scope. Ill call Monday and see what they say. They have a great CS rep so Im sure they’ll make it right, if indeed something is wrong.

Definitely worth a call. I think mine had a little oil on it but didn't keep coming back. I have the 3.6-18 in a 0 MOA Spuhr and have 15.5 Mils up on a MK12.

Took the rifle out again today and scope was fine, no more residual oil or whatever that was.

The initial out of the box appearance aside, now that its cleaned up I really like this scope. Glass is pretty awesome and with 35x top end mag you get really fine detail, focus is sharp. I was concerned the reticle would be too thick at 35x but its not a problem. I like the floating dot. Turrets are great as well. I dont have much experience with scopes above 20-25x but I was surprised how easy it was to get behind...eyebox doesnt really seem any worse than scopes in the 25x range.

I havent done a tall target test with it yet, but if it passes that and accurately returns to zero, its going to be my favorite scope I think.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Get a 20-MOA mount, and you'll get those Mils back. I have the 5-25 version of this scope on a 20-Mil ADM QD Mount, with ungodly upward headspace that would get me all the way to New Jersey. (I live in Oregon.)

Regarding your missing mils...

The MK5HD 5-25 has 120 MOA (34.9 MRAD) of elevation. When Leupold first published specs for the 7-35, they reported the same 120 MOA. Now Leupold.com shows 100 MOA (29 MRAD) for the 7-35, which makes more sense.

The MK5HD 5-25 has 120 MOA (34.9 MRAD) of elevation. When Leupold first published specs for the 7-35, they reported the same 120 MOA. Now Leupold.com shows 100 MOA (29 MRAD) for the 7-35, which makes more sense.

That explains it...thanks! I guess I saw the earlier specs from before.

Reactions: SageRatSafaris
I've received 2 Mk4s in the early 2000s and both had the same thing. It's just lube. Nothing to worry about

I just received a mk5hd 5-25 and it had a small amount of lube on the scope, but it had a ton of extra lube on the sunshade. Not sure exactly why so much was on the sunshade. Anyway, so far so good with the scope.

You can get 150 moa out of the 5-25 if you take the zero stop out

OP wrote:

I picked up the same scope a couple of months ago and finally had time to sight it in, on a 6br. With a 20 moa base, I’m left with 17.1 mils. I called leupold and the guy said get a 40moa base. He also said most people call because they don’t have enough down travel. If I recall, I had a lot more up travel with my gen2 razor after sighting it in.

I picked up the same scope a couple of months ago and finally had time to sight it in, on a 6br. With a 20 moa base, I’m left with 17.1 mils. I called leupold and the guy said get a 40moa base. He also said most people call because they don’t have enough down travel. If I recall, I had a lot more up travel with my gen2 razor after sighting it in.

Was the razor on the same rifle with the same rail?

You still have 12mills down, may as well go to a 40 if you want every last click.

I have 25 mills left on the 5-25, but that still puts me 10 mills off bottomed out.

Was the razor on the same rifle with the same rail?

You still have 12mills down, may as well go to a 40 if you want every last click.

I have 25 mills left on the 5-25, but that still puts me 10 mills off bottomed out.
Yep, the razor and sane base was on previously. I’m thinking about picking up a Seekins base.