• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New NF "Beast" scope rumors.... let's hear them

propulsionclimbing

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2006
Flagstaff. AZ
So let's hear all the rumors on this new Nightforce scope. It sounds pretty incredible. Everyone that knows anything or things they know anything, let's hear it!

Re: New NF "Beast" scope rumors.... let's hear them

Sounds like from what I've heard they are shooting for the moon with this one, all the quality of NF with Hensoldt level glass. We can only hope the price does not follow. So if it's going to be priced in the Hensoldt range or god forbid even higher they can keep it.

Not to mention how long did we get teased about the F1 before it was released so even though they had the Beast in the "back room" at Shot for all we know it could be 2013 before they hit the civi market, there have been rumors of the 5-25 FFP for a couple years already now. Don't get me wrong kudos to NF for truly testing their stuff out before bringing it to market instead of the standard practice of letting customers beta test them, but I'll worry about them when they are on the market.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the price will just make them another S&B/Hensoldt contender to be debated in endless threads comparing them when what was really needed was a 5-25 power F1 priced option. I mean seriously how many $3000-3500 scopes do we need and can the market support.

whatchutalkinboutwillis?
confused.gif

From what's been said we can assume it's entirely made in the USA (including glass), has a Hensoldt-like eye box, 25 Mils/Revolution (no idea how they pulled this off, unless LL was pulling our legs?), and is supposed to be out by the end of this year (who knows if that will actually happen or not).

Regardless, those who know are being secretive yet repeat that this scope will raise the bar. I'm interested, and can't wait to see it.

Raise the bar ey... thats a big statement.

I wonder how much it will cost. Based on current prices I think if its a 5.5-22 with FFP, it will at least cost $2300+.

If it has other newer features I could only imagine it would cost more.

Also if more parts are being made in the US I would expect the scope to cost more due to labor costs.

I hope when they do price it that it won't be
priced like an S&B or Hensoldt, so poor country boys
like me can save a little instead of selling a kidney
to get one.{I don't have a good kidney
grin.gif
}

7 new patents in one scope raises the bar,

Nightforce is pushing the envelope, I won't say much more, but why wouldn't it be worth every penny of $3600 if Leupold can command $4k. However I happen to know NF has options and can be flexible.

Just because the average Joe can't necessarily afford $3k+ that doesn't mean there isn't a market. Let's look at Hensoldt, the 3-12x SSG-P is close to $5k and that scope has been on the market for a long time. It didn't slow people down when it came to getting the S&B 5-25x as those crept over $3k.

Guys cry about Made in USA, then when presented with a real 100% Made in USA offering your gonna cry about the price,and you haven't slightest idea what is under the hood.

25 mils in a single turn is not pulling anyone's leg, and it was done in a way you'll not expect.

When others scopes started out with prototypes hitting the street at $2800 you jumped on board, through the rounds of changes which technically could be referred too as the Gen 3 model today, still you pay and praise when the price dropped to $2k then back up again, nobody said nearly a word. But Nightforce putting several years of R&D on their own, not on the consumers dime, seems a bit unfair.

The scope sets a bar, the innovations have the ability to trickle down, the end user will benefit. But if you want it all you'll pay and people will especially given what the final product looks like.

When I saw the Gen 1 that is what I expected, when then Gen 4 came out I was floored. I would stop speculating and just relax, the wait will be worth it. As will the price, and you can't afford it, sorry about that, quality has a price.

Ouch if they are going to be Hendsoldt prices in the USA then god knows what prices they will be in the UK.

A Nightforce here costs more than a S&B and a Hensoldt already!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 new patents in one scope raises the bar,

Nightforce is pushing the envelope, I won't say much more, but why wouldn't it be worth every penny of $3600 if Leupold can command $4k. However I happen to know NF has options and can be flexible.

</div></div>

I think there comes a point when the big military buyers will start to draw the line when it comes to spending huge amounts of coin on glass. You have to wonder whether sending snipers or special ops guys into the field with $12000 - $15000 thundersticks is actually worth it after a while, when a piece of kit costing half that amount can get the job done just as well. The other thing these scope manufacturers have to consider are Asian manufacturers stepping into the fray with good quality cheaper alternatives - which will happen.

Judging by what many are saying on the various forums I think the jury is still out as to whether Leupold can command $4000 for one of their scopes.

I'll buy one. I only sold my F1 to get another S&B because I wanted some feature's the F1 didn't offer. Now that the HS knobs and the MLR2 reticle are out the F1 has just about everything I could ask for. I will definitely hold out for one of these though. There's no beating that NF reliability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">25 mils in a single turn is not pulling anyone's leg, and it was done in a way you'll not expect.</div></div>

You get 12.5 mils off the turret, then rotate the entire scope and mount a full turn to get the other 12.5 :)

Sorry, just being silly, but couldn't resist. I'm sure it will be a doozy of a scope. I don't really think Leupold can necessarily "command" $4K for a scope. Sure, they can charge whatever they want, but those who know better will carefully consider the competition. Seems like it's a price intended to rope in idiots who conflate price with quality or to defraud U.S. taxpayers if Leupold is able to snag a military contract.

That sounds like it might be an awesome scope!

Just a thought, I wonder how a turret can be made different. Maybe you can pull the turret up and have it be in the second rev in an instant?

25--easy, 12.5 up--12.5 down...:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 new patents in one scope raises the bar,

</div></div>

I think there comes a point when the big military buyers will start to draw the line when it comes to spending huge amounts of coin on glass. You have to wonder whether sending snipers or special ops guys into the field with $12000 - $15000 thundersticks is actually worth it after a while, when a piece of kit costing half that amount can get the job done just as well. The other thing these scope manufacturers have to consider are Asian manufacturers stepping into the fray with good quality cheaper alternatives - which will happen.

Judging by what many are saying on the various forums I think the jury is still out as to whether Leupold can command $4000 for one of their scopes. </div></div>

have you seen the price tag on a Vector 21..??..??

yeah......they will pay for it......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So let's hear all the rumors on this new Nightforce scope. It sounds pretty incredible. Everyone that knows anything or things they know anything, let's hear it! </div></div>

I didn't have the clout to get behind the velvet curtain, (damn you Frank) but what I was told about it was interesting. Maybe next year I can spin the turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 new patents in one scope raises the bar,

Just because the average Joe can't necessarily afford $3k+ that doesn't mean there isn't a market. Let's look at Hensoldt, the 3-12x SSG-P is close to $5k and that scope has been on the market for a long time. It didn't slow people down when it came to getting the S&B 5-25x as those crept over $3k.

Guys cry about Made in USA, then when presented with a real 100% Made in USA offering your gonna cry about the price,and you haven't slightest idea what is under the hood.

25 mils in a single turn is not pulling anyone's leg, and it was done in a way you'll not expect.

When others scopes started out with prototypes hitting the street at $2800 you jumped on board, through the rounds of changes which technically could be referred too as the Gen 3 model today, still you pay and praise when the price dropped to $2k then back up again, nobody said nearly a word. But Nightforce putting several years of R&D on their own, not on the consumers dime, seems a bit unfair.

The scope sets a bar, the innovations have the ability to trickle down, the end user will benefit. But if you want it all you'll pay and people will especially given what the final product looks like.

When I saw the Gen 1 that is what I expected, when then Gen 4 came out I was floored. I would stop speculating and just relax, the wait will be worth it. As will the price, and you can't afford it, sorry about that, quality has a price. </div></div>

Leupold is asking 4k, but is anyone besides Uncle Sam and perhaps a few misguided souls paying 4k?

Not to get off topic, but $4 large for a Leupy? No thanks. This coming from a guy that owns 4 of them.

I'm very curious to see the new NF, and like LL said, in the long run we should all benefit as technology trickles down.

Do I even dare to ask when they may be looking at releasing them?
crazy.gif
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 new patents in one scope raises the bar,

</div></div>

Judging by what many are saying on the various forums I think the jury is still out as to whether Leupold can command $4000 for one of their scopes. </div></div>

have you seen the price tag on a Vector 21..??..??

yeah......they will pay for it...... </div></div>

That's the same thing that came to my mind. The army will pay Remington $10K+ to rebuild M24's in a new stock with new barrel, suppressor, and mount a overpriced Leupold. USMC probably has $4K in a M40A5 alone by time they pay labor, not including the R&D time, then put a $2000+ S&B on it and give the sniper team a $21K LRF, $13K NVD, and thousands of dollars worth of other kit. What in the world is another $1000 or so to buy the best optics there are? The sights are perhaps the most critical part of a rifle system.

I think we can all agree that whoever at Leupold decided they could charge $4K for that thing was smoking crack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we can all agree that whoever at Leupold decided they could charge $4K for that thing was smoking crack. </div></div>

...or given a promotion and a raise

I hear quiet rumblings but have yet to play with one.

Seven patents makes me a little nervous; if it hasn't been torture tested, I am reluctant to pay new scope prices to be a beta tester.

Hensoldt glass and eye box is a high bar, if they can pull it off, it'll be money well spent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear quiet rumblings but have yet to play with one.

Seven patents makes me a little nervous; if it hasn't been torture tested, I am reluctant to pay new scope prices to be a beta tester.

Hensoldt glass and eye box is a high bar, if they can pull it off, it'll be money well spent.</div></div>

if they can pull it off... ah, it's a real scope it's been pulled off for more than a year... as I said, I have seen version 1 & 4... so unlike others, they have already gone through several modifications.

It's not speculation, it's a reality. As well Nightforce works very closely with the military and routinely brings them to Idaho to work directly with the guys who use this stuff in the field.

There was no "beta" testing by the end user with the F1... this is no different. People complain they haven;t seen it themselves, well this why. They put in the time and effort to make sure it is right before it hits the shelves, and not play catch up along the way. Nightforce has no need to rush a product to production.

It's shorter than a S&B by a couple of inches, it's resolves better, has color to die for ... it's being done right.

There is reason, dollar for dollar Nightforce makes the best scope on the market...for what you get versus what you pay for not to mention a reliability track record to envy, these guys do it right the first time, if that means sitting on an optic for 2 or more years while they test it -- well trust me this scope is not "new" for them, just new for you. Its been years in the making and it shows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any hint as to how much I need to save?</div></div>

I think it said $3600 above.

Didn't know if that was a random # or what the projected msrp might be.

Frank, good to know. I've owned a few Nightforce and always liked their stuff. I sat out the F1 craze as too many good optics were hitting the market about the same time.

Glass was always where NF fell behind some of the competition. Nice to know they have addressed it enthusiastically.

I never missed any of my targets because the glass was behind with all the NF's I've ever had. It's pretty good, but not the best. Everyone knows that. And also everyone knows they are just about one of the most durable scopes on the market, and that is way important to me then super duper glass clarity.

But if you could have both (durability and optical clarity), wouldn't it be that much better?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
...or given a promotion and a raise </div></div>

...before the sales figures trickle in and they discover that the strategy has pissed off a good degree of their potential customer base and that person then gets fired for being a complete dufus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...before the sales figures trickle in and they discover that the strategy has pissed off a good degree of their potential customer base and that person then gets fired.</div></div>

Again you have no clue what their plans are or how this will be presented... you assume too much.

They have been working on this scope for over 3 years now so they have alot of money into R&D. I could have sworn I heard them say at SHOT that it wasn't planned for civilian sales but I could be wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...before the sales figures trickle in and they discover that the strategy has pissed off a good degree of their potential customer base and that person then gets fired for being a complete dufus. </div></div>

Call me silly and this is being designed for the sharp end of the sword......not the hilt

Having served as the sharp end of the sword, and now the hilt; I prefer to think of it as "a well regulated militia." Or well armed, at least.

Again, there is flexibility in this and while the tip of the spear is sure to get the Beast, the hilt will probably see the Son of the Beast.

You don't put this much time into something to cut the masses out ...

I have my first custom build in the works and Lord knows it has already cost enough. Should be done around the end of the summer also, so it probably wouldn't be much more painful at this point to add another NF to fold (LOL). I love the way the details are slowly trickling in on this scope, one tiny nugget at a time, like some political scandal story breaking in the NY Post, piece by piece. Can't we just jump right to the "I did not have sex with that woman" part?

Even from the little bits of info, it's probably safe to say two things. Whatever it is, Nightforce will do it right. And if it does even half of what has been hinted, we'll all want one.

Money is like the things you buy with it...it's just stuff. If you have enough, you can get exactly what stuff you want. If you don't, you get less expensive stuff than what you'd really like. In the end though, it's still just stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...before the sales figures trickle in and they discover that the strategy has pissed off a good degree of their potential customer base and that person then gets fired.</div></div>

Again you have no clue what their plans are or how this will be presented... you assume too much. </div></div>

I was referring to Leupold not NF as per dielten's response.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's shorter than a S&B by a couple of inches, it's resolves better, has color to die for ... it's being done right.</div></div>

With regard to NF's new scope are you suggesting its a short-dot offering? As it stands both S&B's 1-8 and Leupold's CQBSS are 11-12 inches in length - which are hardly compact. If NF are going to be offering something truly compact in the 9-10 inch range it will be a real seller and would deserve IMO.

Any idea as to the tube size/dia ? , 30mm or 34-35mm ?

Cheers Chris

So should I hold off on buying a March 3-24 or S&B 3-20 for the Nightforce? Is it that good?

I was thinking of the different E knob , and maybe its a 2 stage type knob ie like a MST-100 , with a fine & course knob stacked , or like a C2 mortar sight .
It will be interesting to see their NEW design .

Later Chris

Considering the ridiculous prices people pay for used optics here I'd never hold off on any good quality scope purchase for something coming sometime down the road. If you buy a march or S&B and something better comes along later you can get 95% of your investment back, or if you don't pay MAP and make some phone calls you can get 100% or better back and you get to use a top quality scope in the meantime.

I appreciate the hype. I might even buy one, one day. But for now there's nothing wrong with the F1. I own more than a few scopes, SB and USO included. But my match gun still has a SFP with no zero-stop circa 2007. It's not about the scope, like it's not about the gun, like it's not about the sword, like it's not about the motorcycle, like it's not about the rank on the sleeve...

It's just too bad they haven't brought out a 5-22 F1 priced around $2500 or a bit less they would sell more than they could make. Vortex must be pleased as punch at this news since they have the only game in town around the $2000 price point in the higher magnification range.

One wouldn't think it wouldn't be that hard since they have the 3-15 F1 sorted out to make the same scope with a bit higher mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's just too bad they haven't brought out a 5-22 F1 priced around $2500 or a bit less they would sell more than they could make. Vortex must be pleased as punch at this news since they have the only game in town around the $2000 price point in the higher magnification range.

One wouldn't think it wouldn't be that hard since they have the 3-15 F1 sorted out to make the same scope with a bit higher mag. </div></div>
I was told by a reliable source that they plan on releasing both the "Beast" scope AND a higher powered F1 later this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will it get me laid? </div></div>

Yes, I heard from a reliable source that it will in fact get you laid
grin.gif