• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes New Nightforce Scope - Simple Question

Scott2501

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, but from looking around, it seems you all have a lot of experience with Nightforce scopes.

Yesterday, I picked up a NXS Compact 1-4x24 model for my AR. After playing with it for a while, I really like it, though I haven't gotten to shoot it yet.

One thing I can't figure out - on the ring that turns to adjust magnification, there is a silver allen head screw. What is this for? My only guess was it could be used to add a speed lever to adjust the magnification, but I suspect I'm wrong. I didn't see anything about it in the manual.

It can be seen clearly in this picture (this isn't my rifle or scope, but shows what I am talking about):

nightforce_one-piece-1.jpg

Re: New Nightforce Scope - Simple Question

well idk what its for but great job on getting a night force they are amazing scopes. most plp on here will tell you to check google and in this case it might not be a bad idea

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiredassassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well idk what its for but great job on getting a night force they are amazing scopes. most plp on here will tell you to check google and in this case it might not be a bad idea </div></div>

Thanks for the input. I thought this might be a dumb question, but with quite a few views and no answer yet, maybe it isn't as easy as I thought.
smile.gif

I actually originally ordered a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 as a combo package from LaRue. But, they were out of stock in the reticle I wanted.

A buddy had the NF with a LaRue mount that he had bought and never used. It was brand new, so I picked that up and canceled the Accupoint order. I'm hoping I did ok. I did like the daytime illumination with the Trijicon, but the NF seems like an awefully nice scope, too. I'm anxious to try it out!

you did well with the night force id pick that over any scope anyday and since your new on here words of wisedom guys on here are very rude ive ask simple question like that before and theyve pretty much told me to screw myself and seach google just to let you know what to expect

Scott,

As a general rule, if it is not mentioned in the scope owners manual, it is not a user adjustable item/screw.

However, if you really want to know it's exact purpose, then I suggest:

North America and military sales:
Lightforce USA, Inc.
1040 Hazen Lane
Orofino, ID 83544
tel 208.476.9814
fax 208.476.9817
[email protected]
NightforceOptics.com

You can call or e-mail them. I have found that most scope makers have technical folks that can answer any of our literate or semi-literate questions, quite quickly.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiredassassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you did well with the night force id pick that over any scope anyday and since your new on here words of wisedom guys on here are very rude ive ask simple question like that before and theyve pretty much told me to screw myself and seach google just to let you know what to expect
</div></div>

Ouch. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the forum. But, thanks for the heads up. I did try Google some, but to no avail. That is a pretty specific question to pick up on Google. Anyway, if I don't get it answered, not big deal. I'm just curious, mostly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiredassassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you did well with the night force id pick that over any scope anyday and since your new on here words of wisedom guys on here are very rude ive ask simple question like that before and theyve pretty much told me to screw myself and seach google just to let you know what to expect
</div></div>

hiredassassin,

Folks are not rude on the Hide at all. Most are more than helpfull.

However, many posters, and not picking on you specifically, want to be spoon fed. Members of the Hide are not the answer grape. It is incumbant on YOU, to do some due dilligence, and searches for information on your own. That's what adults do.

For example:

Posts that begin with "What is the best_______", are usually meet with some derision.

Because "what is the best" has many connotations. Like: the best for what, the best in x price range, the best for a beginner, the best for your $, and on and on.

Also the quality of your questions, are directly related to the quality of your answers. In other words garbage in = garbage out.

What is a quality question? Maybe we should make that a sticky here, but I will provide you some examples:

Bad Question:

<span style="font-weight: bold">What is the best scope to shoot 1000 yds? I want something tacticool, but it must be high quality, but cheap.</span>

Good question:

<span style="font-weight: bold">I looking for some recommendations for a scope to be used out to 1000 yds. I have a Rem 700 LTR in 308 and I'm going to use it for informal target shooting and steel targets. I would also like to use for deer hunting as well.

I'm also confused about whether I should get MIL or MOA scope. What are the advantages of both? My budget is around $1K, for this purchase.</span>

See the difference? Neither guy really has a clue, but at least the second guy, defined his needs, set parameters and provided his budget.

We can work with the second guy. The first guy can go back to his airsoft toys.

In short, if your just stupid, you will get run off from here fairly quickly. If your just ignorant, but are willing to frame your questions so that any poster can understand the information you are trying to gather, then you will get help.

So hiredassassin, are you ignorant or just stupid???? Consider your answer carefully.

Bob

Well, hopefully it's obvious I'm just ignorant. My question could not have been more clear and specific.

I wasn't trying to start an argument.

I guess the short answer is, it doesn't address it in the manual, so don't mess with it. I just wasn't sure if it served a purpose and thought I would use this forum to see if anyone else had an answer. I could have called the manufacturer from the beginning, but thought a forum like this could be another means to the end.

Scott,

No your question was fine. But since you did not get the answer you were seeking, I recommended you call NF.

My reply was addressed to the "hiredassassin", not you sir. Sorry for the confusion. But I did not want his comments to go unmentioned. Rude indeed.....

Thanks,

Bob

There are no dumb questions....It`s better to know then just be ignorant.If there were no questions what would be the point of this site?

i'm pretty sure that allen screw just adjust the tension on the magnification ring, but i'm calling nightforce to confirm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redrider308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are no dumb questions....It`s better to know then just be ignorant.If there were no questions what would be the point of this site? </div></div>

And that sir is a good question. To which one could answer:

"But though it is true there are no dumb questions, there are an awful lot of inquisitive idiots."

To ask a question without first: using the search function given here for free; or reading the FAQ; or even taking the time to peruse some past posts, is called what exactly?

Asking a question you don't know or because you don't understand something, is a very good thing. Asking a question because you are too lazy to look, read, or do anything to expand your understanding of a problem, is quite another.

And it is an essential difference.

Bob