• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Noveske AR10

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
This is my first semi custom AR10. I have had a few odd and end standard AR10's from DPMS etc. I wanted to put one together for precision shooting using high end components.

I started with an Armalite AR10 lower with standard grip, stock and NM trigger (which I think is a pretty good trigger). I added an Vltor ModStock, and a Sierra Precision SPR grip (my first one, I like!!).

For the upper I chose a Noveske N6 18" stainless.

Once I got it put together, I used spare Leupold MKIV 3.5-10x40 with TMR reticle on it(used LaRue QD 30mm rings to mount it) and a Harris notched BRM-s I had laying around.

I have a new NF 2.5-10x24 on the way. I am glad I found one because I hear they are discontinuing the 24mm model and it is the one NF scope I have tried that I actually like. It is a mil dot reticle with .1mil turrets and has the night vision compatibility and zero stop. If the height works, I have a NF Unimount that I will use.

Lastly, I used a Vickers VCAS sling.

I have a bunch of FGMM 168 grain that I will use to break it in and see how it likes it. Then if I decide to keep it, I will start working on a load for it.

I am very impressed with the Noveske upper. Very well done piece of gear. The upper was heavier than I expected it to be and seems a bit unbalanced. I think I may change the Modstock out with a Magpul PRS. I have used these in the past and like them, but always thought they were a bit too heavy. But, I think that may be waht this rifle needs, to help balance it out. Either that or I may move the ModStock over to my Colt M4 and take the UBR off it and use on the AR10, assuming the UBR's work on both platforms, as I think they do.

enough talk. Here are a couple of my typically crappy pictures.

NoveskeAR10001.jpg
NoveskeAR10002.jpg
NoveskeAR10003.jpg

Re: New Noveske AR10

Slick gun. You cannot go wrong with a Noveske upper. Now where's your range report? I bet it shoots as good as it looks.

That is Bad-ass. I am glad to see Noveske is back on the AR-10 building kick. I only wish they did DPMS receivers as that is what I have the magazines for. I guess I could always go with a Noveske Barrel and build my own.

Noveske is top notch! I have one of the N4 series and it won't be my only Noveske.

Beautiful. And that Nightforce ought to be perfect for it. If you haven't tried a VLTOR EMod stock, they are just enough bigger to work well on one like that - although I'll bet the UBR would balance better, like you said.

Looks awesome! I just picked up an Iron Ridge lower and have been thinking of going with a Noveske upper as well.

Their barrels are second to none in the AR tactical world.....I have several N4's in different configurations. If I didn't just order a DTA SRS I would be all over a Noveske N6 Leonidas !!!!!

Nicely done. Look forward to your range report.

What does it weigh?

I am looking forward to hearing more about this.

Two questions -

1. Given the weight, did you consider the 16"

2. Did you get this from direct from Noveske? As they show that they are out of them.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking forward to hearing more about this.

Two questions -

2. Did you get this from direct from Noveske? As they show that they are out of them.

Good luck </div></div>

I was wondering this myself. It seems finding an N6 upper is about as easy as hitting the lottery. Do you pretty much have to scour GB and big like a mofo when one comes up, or is Noveske taking orders again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking forward to hearing more about this.

Two questions -

Good luck </div></div>

I absolutely considered a 16". I wanted as compact as possible without giving up too much velocity.

I asked some folks with a lot more experience how short I "could" go while keeping this thing MOA or better out to 5-600 yards.

Guys I trusted told me not to hesitate to go all the way down to 16" or even shorter.

I was all set to get a 16", but the Noveskes are hard to find and the first N6 I found was this one. So, I went with 18".

I bought this NIB from an individual who received it from Noveske recently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nicely done. Look forward to your range report.

What does it weigh? </div></div>

I dont have a good way to weigh rifles, but I will try to.

It doesnt feel a lot heavier than my 18" barreled LTR, but it is noticeable.

Definitely manageable, but I am going to add a bit when I upgrade the stock. Should save a bit when I put the NF 2.5-10x25 in a Unimount.

I am going to start researching AAC cans. I am not real familiar with suppressors in general nor AAC, but I definitely want a quick attach can. AAC seems to have a pretty good rep, no?

Unless I missed some kind of major announcement, Armalite mags are your only option. Make sure to get the Gen II ones, they are having a nice package deal on their website right now.

Hope its OK to post links here, if not, feel free to edit this and I apologize.

However, Armalite's website has tons of tech articles and updates on their products, here is the PDF regarding the changes to the Gen II mag's vs the Gen I versions.

Armalite Gen II mag descriptions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bad timing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking rifle. Have you considered modding some Magpul 20LR PMAGs to go along with it? </div></div>

can you mod the P mags now!!!!! for Armalite?? That might change everything that i have decided on in the last 3 months.

A guy on everyone's favorite AR site actually did recently modify the P-Mag's to work with an Armalite. Which has resulted in every Armalite owner jumping on Magpul to offer it from the factory. Who knows if they will follow through with it though.

I lucked into an 18" Noveske N6 barrel about a year ago. It was used but reasonably priced and at the time, Noveske had removed all evidence of his 7.62 rifles and parts from his website. It turns out that he couldn't get any parts from Armalite at the time so he removed them from his product line temporarily (specifically barrel extensions and bolts I believe). We all remember the panic buying after the last election...

Anyway, I find that my 1:10" Noveske barrel shoots about the same with 155gr Palmas and 168 and 175 SMKs - about 3/4" at 100 yards. My friend got an 18" Noveske barrel a few months ago, new from Noveske after he started selling them again, and his gun shoots about 3/8" groups at 100 yards. We both have Daniel Defense rails - mine is 10" and his 12" which looks pretty cool as it extends over the gas block while mine does not. I have an old Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 1" AO and he has an old 10x Mark 4 M1.

We always wanted accurate 7.62 AR rifles and the Noveske barrels are the ticket. He had an early POF piston gun that really sucked. He sent it back 3 times and had reliability and accuracy issues. I had a 24" AR10T upper for a while that was wildly inconsistent until I sent it back. It shot 1MOA after I got it back from them and I sold it when I found the Noveske barrel.

I have an AAC 762SD suppressor currently on transfer and my buddy has one in his possession. We're using the new 3-prong AAC blackout mount. That thing rings like a tuning fork - it's crazy. It does it with the can on also. It does not affect accuracy but does shift POI a little. It's nice and quiet - about like a .22lr rifle with high velocity ammo - all you can expect from a rifle can using high power rifle ammo. When using a can, you need to do something about the increased bolt velocity as it can cause malfunctions. Slash makes a buffer for this. Or you could use an adjustable gas block. I have two lowers - Noveske N6 with Magpul PRS, and Aero Precision with Armalite collapsible stock buffer tube and H3 buffer. Next time we shoot these rifles with the can, I'm going to try my AAC rate reducer and MGI heavy buffers in the collapsible stock lower and see if this slows the bolt down.

Some day I'm going to build a .260REM upper for the AR10!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bad timing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking rifle. Have you considered modding some Magpul 20LR PMAGs to go along with it? </div></div>

can you mod the P mags now!!!!! for Armalite?? That might change everything that i have decided on in the last 3 months. </div></div>

As shakazulu12 said, a guy over on ARF was able to make them fit and drop free by modding them a bit.

Here is the thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=185685

And here are the pics:

DSC03882.jpg

DSC03880.jpg

DSC03883.jpg

DSC03881.jpg

DSC03887.jpg

DSC03885.jpg

That is badass! Im new to this forum, piecing together an AR10 myself and Ive been waiting for Noveske to get there 7.62 barrels in stock. Was debating the Emod stock or PRS myself.

I have a UBR on a Colt M4. I may swap the UBR onto the AR10 and put the ModStock on the M4. The UBR would have more heft to balance things out.

the first guy that figures out how to mod the Pmags for the DPMS/Knights riflles down to 10 rounders will be the top dog in my book. I love a 20 rounder in some cases but you just cant compete with the sleek look and function of a 10 rounder. When laying prone it is crucial to have that shorter mag. There was a member here not to long ago that was modding the AR15 Pmags down to 5 and 10 rounders for hunter and CA folks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbaggtuna</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is badass! Im new to this forum, piecing together an AR10 myself and Ive been waiting for Noveske to get there 7.62 barrels in stock. Was debating the Emod stock or PRS myself. </div></div>

That Noveske barrel is HEAVY and the PRS does help with balance. Gen 2 PRS stocks are not as heavy as Gen 1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the first guy that figures out how to mod the Pmags for the DPMS/Knights riflles down to 10 rounders will be the top dog in my book. I love a 20 rounder in some cases but you just cant compete with the sleek look and function of a 10 rounder. When laying prone it is crucial to have that shorter mag. There was a member here not to long ago that was modding the AR15 Pmags down to 5 and 10 rounders for hunter and CA folks. </div></div>

Good point. That would be nice for those in ban states too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lucked into an 18" Noveske N6 barrel about a year ago. It was used but reasonably priced and at the time, Noveske had removed all evidence of his 7.62 rifles and parts from his website. It turns out that he couldn't get any parts from Armalite at the time so he removed them from his product line temporarily (specifically barrel extensions and bolts I believe). We all remember the panic buying after the last election...

Anyway, I find that my 1:10" Noveske barrel shoots about the same with 155gr Palmas and 168 and 175 SMKs - about 3/4" at 100 yards. My friend got an 18" Noveske barrel a few months ago, new from Noveske after he started selling them again, and his gun shoots about 3/8" groups at 100 yards. We both have Daniel Defense rails - mine is 10" and his 12" which looks pretty cool as it extends over the gas block while mine does not. I have an old Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 1" AO and he has an old 10x Mark 4 M1.

We always wanted accurate 7.62 AR rifles and the Noveske barrels are the ticket. He had an early POF piston gun that really sucked. He sent it back 3 times and had reliability and accuracy issues. I had a 24" AR10T upper for a while that was wildly inconsistent until I sent it back. It shot 1MOA after I got it back from them and I sold it when I found the Noveske barrel.

I have an AAC 762SD suppressor currently on transfer and my buddy has one in his possession. We're using the new 3-prong AAC blackout mount. That thing rings like a tuning fork - it's crazy. It does it with the can on also. It does not affect accuracy but does shift POI a little. It's nice and quiet - about like a .22lr rifle with high velocity ammo - all you can expect from a rifle can using high power rifle ammo. When using a can, you need to do something about the increased bolt velocity as it can cause malfunctions. Slash makes a buffer for this. Or you could use an adjustable gas block. I have two lowers - Noveske N6 with Magpul PRS, and Aero Precision with Armalite collapsible stock buffer tube and H3 buffer. Next time we shoot these rifles with the can, I'm going to try my AAC rate reducer and MGI heavy buffers in the collapsible stock lower and see if this slows the bolt down.

Some day I'm going to build a .260REM upper for the AR10! </div></div>

you think the difference in you and your buddy is the shooter, or has he done something different?

mine is about 2 years old and it is 1/2 moa when i do my part

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bad timing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking rifle. Have you considered modding some Magpul 20LR PMAGs to go along with it? </div></div>

can you mod the P mags now!!!!! for Armalite?? That might change everything that i have decided on in the last 3 months. </div></div>

Actually, it looks like Magpul may be in the process of developing some AR10/M14 PMAGS.

Nice looking gun, Noveske makes quality stuff. Don't many used ones for sale!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lucked into an 18" Noveske N6 barrel about a year ago. It was used but reasonably priced and at the time, Noveske had removed all evidence of his 7.62 rifles and parts from his website. It turns out that he couldn't get any parts from Armalite at the time so he removed them from his product line temporarily (specifically barrel extensions and bolts I believe). We all remember the panic buying after the last election...

Some day I'm going to build a .260REM upper for the AR10! </div></div>

you think the difference in you and your buddy is the shooter, or has he done something different?

mine is about 2 years old and it is 1/2 moa when i do my part

</div></div>

His barrel was new and mine was used. And he is a better shot than I. I have gotten some 1/2MOA groups but not every group.

I spoke with Sheri at Noveske a few days ago. She said that Noveske would have some N6s available shortly, and that in a month or so they will be back to being a regular item on their website. Until now Noveske has been running flat out catching up with dealer orders.

Martin

Hydro: For clarification, did you get the whole upper assy, or did you get a barrel and install it with Noveske Rails? You said, "Once I got it put together"?

I'm big on my stock AR-10(T), but would like an 18" barrel. Armalite has announced the availability of their 10-T carbine for sale again in March, but it doesn't seem customizingly friendly due to the position and height of the gas block. I hate to disgard the 24" but installing a Noveske 18 into my current upper is a thought, and would save big $$.

That month or so to production may give me time to put the $$ together for a complete N6.

Hydro, there's no such thing as crappy pictures of a beautiful woman, or a beautiful AR. You're looking good man!

Range report should come this weekend. I got the new NF 2.5-10x24 mounted.

To answer above question. The upper is a complete N from Noveske, I just put in on an Armalite Lower. Added a Harris pod and a VCAS sling, in addition to the scope.

I have read nothing but good things about noveske although I have not had the pleasure to shoot one. There N4 low pro is really calling my name.