• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New NRA ELR Nationals World Record

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Cut and paste from Accurate Shooter...

Congratulations to Randy Wise for set new world record at Camp Atterbury. Randy made a cold bore hit and two follow up shots at 2158yards, with his stock savage action and barrel in an Accurate Rifles Systems chassis. This was done with a 338 Lapua mag. and 300gr. Berger hybrids. Congrats Randy. Sorry forgot to say this was at 2019 NRA NATIONALS ELR EVENT.

20190823_105957-jpg.1122442

Three shots three hits including cold bore, 36" x 36" steel target.

There have been several people asking about the equipment used so here is a rundown, Target was 2158, no spotter, 3 shots, cold bore and two followers, 36x36 Target, rifle was bought used with only 3 rounds fired and is a factory Savage 112 Magnum Target Action and Barrel 1-9 twist 26” long, rifle basics trigger, ARS Chassis, Ivey Adjustable Mount, Vortex Golden Eagle scope, 300gn Hybrid .338 Berger Bullets, Lapua Brass, Retumbo Powder, Federal 215M Primers, Henry Rempel Bi-Pod and StrelokPro Ballistic App. $4100.00 was my total cost for the rifle as fired. Total round count on rifle including the match is 132. I hope this answers most questions.

Greg

Awesome for him.

For the “see, Savage is good crowd”, the rifle has 132 rnds on it. It’s essentially a prone/elr gun. Totally different than putting 25,000 rnds on it and banging against shit all day.

You can get away with lesser equipment in certain games and that’s awesome.

Reactions: Changed and TACC
You think you can get away with lesser equipment in ELR shoots?

......world record with savage. I don’t have to “think” it.

Lesser equipment in that it won’t hold up or function in field matches and being beat on.

......world record with savage. I don’t have to “think” it.

Lesser equipment in that it won’t hold up or function in field matches and being beat on.
That’s like saying a Palma gun isn’t a good gun to run in a 3 gun match... wrong tool for the wrong job.

Like everyone else, if you think you can break the record with better equipment, you’re more than welcome to try.

That’s like saying a Palma gun isn’t a good gun to run in a 3 gun match... wrong tool for the wrong job.

Like everyone else, if you think you can break the record with better equipment, you’re more than welcome to try.

My point is, this site primarily involves field rifles. And this shouldn’t be used as an example of why savage is a good rifle for a field rifle.

You can stop with the “if you can do better” shit as that the equivalent of my dad can beat up your dad.

If you think you can’t use a cheaper action to lay on your belly and shoot 500 rnds a year, you’ve got some figuring out to do yet.

Reactions: kthomas
The site is generally field rifles, you’re in the ELR sub forum though, and that generally is done with a rifle that most have no dreams of ever running a field course with.

Because you’re trying to belittle someone else’s accomplishments is the reason I said if you can do better then do it.

Of course you can use a cheaper action. You can in any part of this sport. You can use the the most expensive too. Same goes for any part of the system. But when you won, or set a record. It’s always fun to poke a little fun at the guys you beat that are using stuff that is way most expensive than yours.

My point is, this site primarily involves field rifles. And this shouldn’t be used as an example of why savage is a good rifle for a field rifle.

You can stop with the “if you can do better” shit as that the equivalent of my dad can beat up your dad.

If you think you can’t use a cheaper action to lay on your belly and shoot 500 rnds a year, you’ve got some figuring out to do yet.
This thread should really be about the accomplishments of a good rifleman with a basically stock rifle, showing that it is the Indian and not the arrow.

Why don’t you take your thread shitting bs to your own thread where you can expound all day on how inferior the savage rifles are and incapable of being a “field rifle”. While you are there, I’m interested to hear how you justify a 28-30 pound rifle, wearing a truck axle barrel, a 8 oz. trigger, shooting a 6mm mouse fart, with added weights to balance the stock for free recoil shooting on barricades; as a field rifle. It will be an entertaining thread.

Getting 3 out of 3 shots on target at 2158 yards, even shooting at a 36x36” steel plate with ZERO sighters, including the dreaded cold bore shot is a super impressive accomplishment. No matter the rifle. I wonder if even 0.1% of shooters alive today can do that. I know i cannot (yet). Would love to learn that skill!

Hats off to you Mr Randy Wise! Your wind call had to be almost perfect, your ammo had to be world class, your form and technique had to be near perfect, and yes your equipment selection did the job too!

My point is you cannot hope to get lucky and somehow accidentally accomplish such a feat. Takes skill and lots of preparation.

Will Randy (or any of the top three finishers) be able to do this ‘on command’ every time at 2000 yards plus? Probably not every time, but he did it once with many witnesses present, and some of the top finishers will likely do it again. And one day improve on that record.

Did he get lucky buying a second hand Savage rifle that is capable of shooting small groups at distance? Maybe, to some degree. I have/had a Savage Model 12 in 6.5CM that routinely shot 0.20 to 0.45” groups, with the 26” factory barrel, using cheap Sierra SMK reloads. Aggregate group size probably around 0.35”. So maybe i was somewhat lucky to get one of the good ones they made that day. [Really don’t know if Savage has a 10% or an 80% ‘hit rate’....]

At the time, my SD was around 12-15 fps for my hand loaded ammo, and that will NOT do you any favors at 1000 yards or beyond. Scale was not up to the task.

Replaced the barrel once it was shot out with a 30” Shilen Select Match barrel, waited 7 months for it, and groups size doubled, and no amount of load development could fix that. The barrel (almost) cost more than the new Savage rifle. ‘Negative’ luck at work?

My one gripe: The guys who set up a large steel target 4 miles away and fire 100+ round to get one hit is providing good Youtube entertainment for many, but even with expensive high quality 375 CT rifles, they essentially “hope to get lucky”. Pretty sure you can do that with an off the shelf 416 Barrett or a standard 50 cal, you do need the high BC bullets and then simply fire enough rounds.

Last edited:
I would like to have the time and availability to ELR to achieve even close to that. Having only some small practice at a mile plus a bit, I know the thrill of hitting decently at ELR ranges. Maybe one day.

Good shooting there.

Reactions: TACC and 7fingers
Awesome!! And for those that have never been here, Camp Atterbury has some of the craziest winds in the country. Direction changes constantly and gusty. I was there in April for a state course and will be back in October. Top military units train there for that reason.

Slash0311 you are correct the wind at Camp Atterbury is pretty sketchy and it was moving pretty good as you can see in the video. I had between 9 and 10 minutes of right wind dialed in which as it turned out was pretty close. The SD on the load that I used consistently runs 4-6 fps. In 2001 both of my hands were crushed in an industrial accident and all the fingers on my left hand and two of the fingers on my right with the exception of my thumbs were crushed or amputated, so the trigger finger I use on my left hand is actually pieces of my ring finger that they salvaged to create an index finger. That is where the nickname of 7fingers came from. The NRA/ELR National Match is a great event and I look forward to being there again next year!

Slash0311 you are correct the wind at Camp Atterbury is pretty sketchy and it was moving pretty good as you can see in the video. I had between 9 and 10 minutes of right wind dialed in which as it turned out was pretty close. The SD on the load that I used consistently runs 4-6 fps. In 2001 both of my hands were crushed in an industrial accident and all the fingers on my left hand and two of the fingers on my right with the exception of my thumbs were crushed or amputated, so the trigger finger I use on my left hand is actually pieces of my ring finger that they salvaged to create an index finger. That is where the nickname of 7fingers came from. The NRA/ELR National Match is a great event and I look forward to being there again next year!
Jesus man, sorry to hear that happened to you but it makes the accomplishments, in spite of lifes challenges, even more impressive to the rest of us. Keep up the good shooting

We are not worthy, much respect for you, brother. Awesome.

(As I think to myself, "Dang, I have my original trigger finger and I'll never be able to shoot like that!")

Thanks for posting here in this thread. I am very impressed with the feat. It is no small accomplishment, as I am sure you are well aware.

Cold bore plus the next two, all on plate. It’s an inspiration to anyone trying to hit at the extra long distances.

Awesome!! And for those that have never been here, Camp Atterbury has some of the craziest winds in the country. Direction changes constantly and gusty. I was there in April for a state course and will be back in October. Top military units train there for that reason.

I would agree, I was there that week and it was a great time and yes with the weather fronts moving through we had some good stuff to play with. Seriously nothing like Spear Point Kansas railed at us this last weekend but still what a great time. What I really liked was the fact that we all got along great light class heavy class, no pressure and relaxed, everyone wanted to see folks succeed and shoot beyond what they expected. Randy did a great job and had a great deal of support in the mist of all the shooters. It didn’t matter who you were we all wanted to see folks shoot beyond their own expectation. I was deleted/excluded from the website from the long Range hunting forum due to my comments but oh well, It is was it is folks appreciated my honest opinion of the event but I said a f bomb for those that have no clue and prefer to destroy the shooting community and now I’m shut down. Randy was well supported by all in the shooting community nobody snickered at him for his Savage and he did a great job. Don’t assume we have differences we all have the same goal and the folks that are there are all on the same page. Cheers

Last edited:
I would agree, I was there that week and it was a great time and yes with the weather fronts moving through we had some good stuff to play with. Seriously nothing like Spear Point Kansas railed at us this last weekend but still what a great time. What I really liked was the fact that we all got along great light class heavy class, no pressure and relaxed, everyone wanted to see folks succeed and shoot beyond what they expected. Randy did a great job and had a great deal of suppout in the mist of all the shooters. It didn’t matter who you were we all wanted to see folks shoot beyond their own expectation. I was deleted/excluded from the website from the long Range hunting forum due to my comments but oh well, It is was it is folks appreciated my honest opinion of the event but I said a f bomb for those that have no clue and prefer to destroy the shooting community and now I’m shut down. Randy was well supported by all in the shooting community nobody snickered at him for his Savage and he did a great job. Don’t assume we have differences we all have the same goal and the folks that are there are all on the same page. Cheers
That’s bull you tell it like it is and call out the jerks and get banned? That was the best post in the whole thread!
Long live osoh

I can only dream about being to be able to hit that size target at a mile.

Great shooting, serious accomplishment look forward to watching you do it again next year.

Reactions: 7fingers
Very good shooting. I’m jealous. Having said that elr shooting is in its infancy yet and his record, no matter how impressive, will be broken soon.

Wow, pretty impressive.

Anyone know how it works? Do they give you any info - wind speed, distance?

He should have kept going.

Wow, pretty impressive.

Anyone know how it works? Do they give you any info - wind speed, distance?

He should have kept going.

Complete Rules: https://elrcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2018-NRA-MATCH-RULES-Final.pdf

Quote:

ELR Central World Record Attempt:

Prior to the NRA match, shooters will have the opportunity to shoot 3 rounds at a 36” x 36” target at approximately 2,050 yards. The final distance will be verified by at least 2 range finders. This must be done from a cold bore with no sighters. For a World Record, the shooter must score 3 out of 3 hits. Time limit is 3 shots in 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Actually at the Atterbury event in which was one of my favorites and everyone there wanted to see their fellow shooters succeed. You did it solo - in Which means in this case Randy got down in a prone position had his wind and elevation figured out the best he could and shot his first three rounds for the day - Solo no support or coaches nothing, under a time restraint, it was just him as well as all of us spotting your own shots. Cool stuff and as I said we all want to see everyone do well. Cheers