• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Oklahoma long ranger

Basicbrand

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2020
Just ordered my first long range rifle today. Bergara b14 wilderness hmr in 6.5 creedmore. I’m new to super long range shooting. Farthest I’ve shot my 25-06 at a target is 400 once. Hurricane Laura earned me a lot of overtime so now is the time to splurge. I need glass to top my new rifle. I thought I wanted a vortex viper pst gen 2. But I can get a gen 1 for $350 less. For a new guy this should be sufficient right? I think I want 6-24x50 but have been told I don’t need more that 16 power. In my mind more is better but like I said I’m new. I have access to a range of 820 yards close by but can get longer if I travel a little. Any advice is welcome and I’m looking forward to getting to know more about long range shooting

I guess I should give a little about myself. I’m 36 and married with 3 teenagers. I’m a power lineman. Been shooting/hunting since middle school.
my hunting rifle is a howa 1500 in 25-06 with sig Sauer bdx scope longest kill is coyote at 284 yards
grandaddy’s Ithaca model 37 16 gauge is my shotgun of choice
sig Sauer p365xl is my concealed
savage a17 is my plinker/prairie dog getter
I enjoy bow hunting and getting in close to the game but long range has always intrigued me. I’m gonna learn something new

brandon

Reactions: decoy71
Hey Brandon, Welcome. I'm not very experienced at long range. I have shot out past 1000 yards and in between with the vortex gen 2 razor. I have found that around 15x is where I usually shoot at. The extra magnification is good to observe finer details. The thing I wished I had done differently was to look through several different scopes and to see the different reticles available. I'm not in love with the one in the scope.

Kyle

Welcome. I live on a farm in NE Oklahoma and shoot regularly with a group of buddy’s up here. You are welcome to join us sometime

Welcome! I am from south central, OK. Lots of long range guys around here. (Impact precision)

Welcome from North Carolina. Enjoy your time here. Its been quite some time since I have been able to shoot long range, but love the forums. So much great knowledge here.

welcome I was told the same thing but quickly decided to go with more power think it's something in the water 18 just isn't enough when the amp can go to 50 , I just could not see where my shots went how close how far apart they were or distinguish my shots from other people's shots , and rather than have to buy a spotter just to see I went 5x50 and have been supper happy at 40 ever since I will use 50 when I can but mostly 40 lets me see the impacts clear as day through out the summer here . Well good luck what ever scope you get or don't get .