• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Old Guy in Peters Colony, TX

joworthsr

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2021
McKinney, TX
I'm 72 and new to long range shooting. At age 4 my grandfather and I to the Trinity River to shoot turtles, snakes and beer cans with his Savage
.22/.410 over/under. He left that rifle to me in his will I have it to this day. I own several hand guns from which I have learned some basics, but shooting rifles will be a challenge. That's OK...that's what I signed up for.

I am aware of only one rifle range in the DFW area with lanes >800 yards - Extreme Tactics and Training Solutions in Waxahachie, TX (which is 70 miles south of my home in McKinney, TX). So while I can zero my rifles at the many indoor ranges (a couple which have 100 rifle lanes), there aren't publicly accessible ranges with enough length to validate indoor practice shooting. I have 3 AR-platformed guns: an 18" CMMG .556, an 18" Aero Precision .308, and an Aero Precision 20" 6.5 Creedmoor. I purchased Nikon Monarch and Black glass individually configured for each of these guns - why Nikon? Not too expensive, good glass (from my camera experiences) and very similar reticles which should serve to transfer my learning curve from scope to scope.

I frequently shot turtles and snakes at a water treetment plant pond with a .22 carbine during my pre-military college days, qualified on an M-16 during basic training, and then shot an M-1 carbine with my detachment commander (to burn up ammunition) while stationed on Mindanao in the Philippines. Stepping up to the .308 and 6.5 CM will be interesting.

I work out weekday mornings with a 50-year-old former Army Ranger. Like me, he has had back surgery to fuse together multiple vertebrae (him - the after effects of too many jumps from perfectly good airplanes. Me - the consequence of falling from a rotten Teakwood tree while stringing seismic data cable in the jungle along the Thai/China border in 1972). We commiserate about our ailments, and he occasionally discusses pistol techniques with me. My eldest son, now a CWO and Blackhawk pilot, will PCS from Fort Bragg to Fort Hood this spring. Once there he and I have agreed to rendevous at the Waxahachie rifle range. For 8 years he was an enlisted Chinook maintenance chief in the Army's 160th SOAR, and spent 7 tours in the sandbox, during which time his "customers" - SEALS and Delta operators - took him shooting and gave him insightful shooting tips From his 160th experience he talked me into buying an ACOG (a 3.5 x 35 with its reticle set up for the .556). I'm interested in learing how to use it - in the 200 to 350 yard range I suspect - even though I've promised to give it to him once he settles in at Hood. That's OK. My unassisted eyesight (20-20) allows me to follow a golf ball 300 yards, track and recognized the difference between an 85 mph fastball and a 75 mph 12-to-6 curveball. So my eyesight should allow me to be able to accomplish 300 yrd shots in the near term, then step out my distance incrementally over time. See...at 72 I still plan to be doing this for a while yet.

Thanks for letting me bore you. I am a long-time Corvette Forum member. With help and advice from other Forum members, I built up the power/drive train of my 20-year-old C5 to achieve 600 rwhp and 520 lb/ft; installed a killer 900 watt, navigation head unit w/5 channel stereo; and installed a custom leather interior. I like to learn new skills. So I look forward to learning some of the complexities of long-range shooting from the experienced members of this group.

John
aka the Lone Star Lizzard

Last edited:
I'm 72 and new to long range shooting. At age 4 my grandfather and I to the Trinity River to shoot turtles, snakes and beer cans with his Savage
.22/.410 over/under. He left that rifle to me in his will I have it to this day. I own several hand guns from which I have learned some basics, but shooting rifles will be a challenge. That's OK...that's what I signed up for.

I am aware of only one rifle range in the DFW area with lanes >800 yards - Extreme Tactics and Training Solutions in Waxahachie, TX (which is 70 miles south of my home in McKinney, TX). So while I can zero my rifles at the many indoor ranges (a couple which have 100 rifle lanes), there aren't publicly accessible ranges with enough length to validate indoor practice shooting. I have 3 AR-platformed guns: an 18" CMMG .556, an 18" Aero Precision .308, and an Aero Precision 20" 6.5 Creedmoor. I purchased Nikon Monarch and Black glass individually configured for each of these guns - why Nikon? Not too expensive, good glass (from my camera experiences) and very similar reticles which should serve to transfer my learning curve from scope to scope.

I frequently shot turtles and snakes at a water treetment plant pond with a .22 carbine during my pre-military college days, qualified on an M-16 during basic training, and then shot an M-1 carbine with my detachment commander (to burn up ammunition) while stationed on Mindanao in the Philippines. Stepping up to the .308 and 6.5 CM will be interesting.

I work out weekday mornings with a 50-year-old former Army Ranger. Like me, he has had back surgery to fuse together multiple vertebrae (him - the after effects of too many jumps from perfectly good airplanes. Me - the consequence of falling from a rotten Teakwood tree while stringing seismic data cable in the jungle along the Thai/China border in 1972). We commiserate about our ailments, and he occasionally discusses pistol techniques with me. My eldest son, now a CWO and Blackhawk pilot, will PCS from Fort Bragg to Fort Hood this spring. Once there he and I have agreed to rendevous at the Waxahachie rifle range. For 8 years he was an enlisted Chinook maintenance chief in the Army's 160th SOAR, and spent 7 tours in the sandbox, during which time his "customers" - SEALS and Delta operators - took him shooting and gave him insightful shooting tips From his 160th experience he talked me into buying an ACOG (a 3.5 x 35 with its reticle set up for the .556). I'm interested in learing how to use it - in the 200 to 350 yard range I suspect - even though I've promised to give it to him once he settles in at Hood. That's OK. My unassisted eyesight (20-20) allows me to follow a golf ball 300 yards, track and recognized the difference between an 85 mph fastball and a 75 mph 12-to-6 curveball. So my eyesight should allow me to be able to accomplish 300 yrd shots in the near term, then step out my distance incrementally over time. See...at 72 I still plan to be doing this for a while yet.

Thanks for letting me bore you. I am a long-time Corvette Forum member. With help and advice from other Forum members, I built up the power/drive train of my 20-year-old C5 to achieve 600 rwhp and 520 lb/ft; installed a killer 900 watt, navigation head unit w/5 channel stereo; and installed a custom leather interior. I like to learn new skills. So I look forward to learning some of the complexities of long-range shooting from the experienced members of this group.

John
Hey, I live west of Fort Worth and we have Triple C range. off hwy 377 heading towards cresson. I have shot there, nice open field. Several different rifle and pistol courses. Check them out, nice guys running it. They are online.

Hey, I live west of Fort Worth and we have Triple C range. off hwy 377 heading towards cresson. I have shot there, nice open field. Several different rifle and pistol courses. Check them out, nice guys running it. They are online.
Thanks for the heads up Ironman. But it appears Triple C is even farther from McKinney than Extreme Tactics and Training (Waxahachie). Maybe my best bet is to drive up to the Red River, get in a long boat and shoot up-river at floating milk jugs (joking, of course). In reality I'll likely just go to ETT. Besides, it's not too far from Ellis County where my grandparents lived when they were kids.

Welcome to the Hide from NW Ohio. I’ll second Triple C, I shot there a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately I understand they are losing beyond 1000, or 1200 yards.

Reactions: joworthsr
Welcome, but what do you have against turtles?
I am 62 so we were taught to shoot turtles in ponds to save the fish most people told us. We also used to go to the dump ground with a few bricks of .22 amo and shot rats. Then dad moved us up to prairie dogs. Then we moved up the food chain to deer. I took my first whitetail deer at about 8 years old , with a open sight Winchester 30 30 that my dad pulled out from behind the seat in his old pick up with no air conditioner. Aww for the good old days.lol

John, I am in College Station, about 20 minutes from the Cawthon Cartridge Club (CCC) in Navasota, a facility that goes at least 1200 yards. I am always willing to teach those who are serious about taking their gear the distance, so to speak.

God bless you and your son for your service -- not a popular thing to do in today's world. Our military seems to be populated with many of our own sons and daughters.

John, I am in College Station, about 20 minutes from the Cawthon Cartridge Club (CCC) in Navasota, a facility that goes at least 1200 yards. I am always willing to teach those who are serious about taking their gear the distance, so to speak.

God bless you and your son for your service -- not a popular thing to do in today's world. Our military seems to be populated with many of our own sons and daughters.
You're right. He's in the 82nd Airborne, air assault battallion of the 82nd CAB. They are on standby in the event things get unpleasant in DC next week. Very distasteful duty.

John
Welcome from Houston!(y)

Welcome, I too have been know to wander the corvette forum. Lots to learn here too.
Hill Country, huh. Many a weekend I've ridden my Harley or my Honda Blackbird on the Holy Trinity between Medina and Camp Wood, or the less challenging but more scenic route along the river west of Kerrville. Made it in my Corvette a time or two. You're lucky to live in heaven on earth.

Reactions: isofahunter