• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New old guy

Drago_Jones

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2018
High all, Retired Navy GunnersMate , live in White Oak Swamp, close to where John Smith almost got his head bashed in. I shot for the All Navy Team, Distinguished out in Rifle, Won a Thousand Yard Service Rifle match in 94(?) at Quantico, Got married and thus ended my shooting career, I literally sold my Navy built M1A to buy a Gaddam Minivan. I've stopped going matches and because of wear and tear and age just shoot ARs. I got back into shooting with my son and with ARs cheaper than ever with all sorts of range toys you can screw on I'm back shooting and reloading again. The furthest I can shoot around here is three hundred yards which imho is close enough to catch a social disease. I got lots of AR and reloading for 223 questions, I pretty much got the "real gun" calibers figured out and even developed a sweet .308 gas checked lead load for two hundred yards. As you can guess I'm a budget shooter, three kids, two in college, one wife and a dog with an attitude problem. See you guys on the reloading threads.

Reactions: XLR308
High all, Retired Navy GunnersMate , live in White Oak Swamp, close to where John Smith almost got his head bashed in. I shot for the All Navy Team, Distinguished out in Rifle, Won a Thousand Yard Service Rifle match in 94(?) at Quantico, Got married and thus ended my shooting career, I literally sold my Navy built M1A to buy a Gaddam Minivan. I've stopped going matches and because of wear and tear and age just shoot ARs. I got back into shooting with my son and with ARs cheaper than ever with all sorts of range toys you can screw on I'm back shooting and reloading again. The furthest I can shoot around here is three hundred yards which imho is close enough to catch a social disease. I got lots of AR and reloading for 223 questions, I pretty much got the "real gun" calibers figured out and even developed a sweet .308 gas checked lead load for two hundred yards. As you can guess I'm a budget shooter, three kids, two in college, one wife and a dog with an attitude problem. See you guys on the reloading threads.

Welcome to the Hide! There ought to be a separate section of threads for us geezers over 60. I'd recommend searching for a couple of hard back reloading manuals. The powder and equipment manufacturers cover the fundamentals. Though I haven't looked, I'm sure someone publishes a book specific to reloading for the AR's. Books are easier reading for my tired eyes and have space in the margins to make notes and are easier to highlight than the computer monitor. The one thing I've picked up in my research is the need to pretty much stay with full length resizing. There are probably some tweeks that can be applied to help with accuracy, different than bolt rifles.

I use a small base die for the sake of reliability thru the action, wears the brass out faster but mil surp and other once fired brass is still easy to come by

Welcome.
Sounds like some of us will be looking your direction for advise all said and done.

My family is trying to pick one bullet / powder we can get in bulk for the ar's.
And then just tweek the load for each barrel, work in progress.

Welcome.
Sounds like some of us will be looking your direction for advise all said and done.

My family is trying to pick one bullet / powder we can get in bulk for the ar's.
And then just tweek the load for each barrel, work in progress.
Don't talk to me, talk to my college kid daughter, she knows everything

I use CFE 223 with Hornady FMJ CCI 41 primers, iirc it's 26 grns of charge, it's light but enough to be reliable, There is a bit of fouling coming back on the case but it's not like I'm shooting past two hundred yards or trying to drop moose.

Reactions: Snuby642
Ironic, ous similar situations. Kids and all.
Using cfe 223 at about the 27gr load with 55gr h#2266 sp bullets.
Not the exact bullet I want but was on the shelf.
I think for head and neck shots will be fine as apposed to the fmj ?

Reloding area 15 minutes away will check on it.
Playing with crimp on this next batch.

Ironic, ous similar situations. Kids and all.
Using cfe 223 at about the 27gr load with 55gr h#2266 sp bullets.
Not the exact bullet I want but was on the shelf.
I think for head and neck shots will be fine as apposed to the fmj ?

Reloding area 15 minutes away will check on it.
Playing with crimp on this next batch.
Never saw a head or neck in the "X" ring. I would imagine you are talking game? It's been a long time I shot at game and when I did I used a .50 Cal Hawken patch and ball.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your M1A. The things we do for love and family.:cautious:

@Drago_Jones
Yes paper, and close shots on cull deer, hogs.
Was going to hunt this weekend but kidney stones got me down.