• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New optic for PRS22

Best option

• XTR3 3.3-18

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Rzr gen2 3-18

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Strike eagle 5-25

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    So I’m looking to step up my glass on my primary 22 for PRS seeing as I’m running out of elevation before being able to dial past 350yds. I’ve currently got a athlon ares BTR gen2 and it’s clear enough but it’s lack the elevation adjustment I need and the image seems a little dark, I’m looking at replacing it with either XTR3, Rzr gen2 or the wildly popular strike eagle, I’m currently running a Rzr on my centerfire rig but will to switch it up to have matching reticle with my 22.

Reactions: screaminweasil
    XTR3 is the best option of what you listed. Strike Eagle is a POS. Gen 2 is good, but XTR3 is better.

Focus down below 20 yards.........5.5-30x56 SCR Mil from Cameraland for $1100 shipped,
    or the new XTRI SCR2 mil (Illuminated) for $1400

Can't be beat for your purpose. Order now, thank me later, or don't, I don't need the accolades......just a fellow shooter who has seen them all and loves great optics.

The Burris is definitely the nicest scope out of those options.

I run that exact optic on my PRS rimfire. The glass is very good, FOV is better than anything under $3k, eyebox is very forgiving. Using Signature Series rings I have 31mils of elevation on my turrets.

This is from the PRS22 Finale in Texas last December. My buddy is actually talking about my scope to another shooter in the background 🤣

Reactions: TheSunPope
    I disagree that the Strike Eagle is a POS, for the money it is a pretty nice optic but for the price you can find PST Gen2s I think that is the better option unless you need the locking turrets.
    I think the Gen2 PSTs are near perfect scopes (in the $1000) price range, just wish they had capped windage.

I don't have hands on experience with the XTR3 but am planning to get one when the illuminated 3.3-18 comes out.
    It's the only scope (without spending near 4k) that has a FOV that rivals or beats the PST (which is a big advantage for both hunting and PRS type events).

I disagree that the Strike Eagle is a POS, for the money it is a pretty nice optic but for the price you can find PST Gen2s I think that is the better option unless you need the locking turrets.
    I think the Gen2 PSTs are near perfect scopes (in the $1000) price range, just wish they had capped windage.

I don't have hands on experience with the XTR3 but am planning to get one when the illuminated 3.3-18 comes out.
    It's the only scope (without spending near 4k) that has a FOV that rivals or beats the PST (which is a big advantage for both hunting and PRS type events).
    The PST G2 won't get OP the elevation he's looking for though, I expect. That's why so many people recommend the SE for 22LR specifically, along with the price and feature set.

Reactions: Emerson0311
    The PST G2 won't get OP the elevation he's looking for though, I expect. That's why so many people recommend the SE for 22LR specifically, along with the price and feature set.
    Yeah I missed that vital bit of info....
    PST should be good for around 20-21mil with burris signature rings.
    Be enough to get to 350yards, but not much more.

I run a PST genII and can get 350 yards with a 25 MOA rail. Will be swapping to a 40 MOA rail soon to get a little more.

I run the Burris on my rimfire, as well my Son's and have been extremely happy with them. I questioned initially the 18x max mag, but have never felt I needed more while on a stage or at the range. The glass is very clean at max mag. Versus my Athlon's I've run on centerfire that get milky on the upper end of magnification.
    I'd set them up again if I were doing it over with Burris. Excellent value for the price point.

Last edited:
    I run the Burris on my rimfire, as well my Son's and have been extremely happy with them. I questioned initially the 18x max mag, but have never felt I needed more while on a stage or at the range. The glass is very clean at max mag. Versus my Athlon's I've run on centerfire that get miky on the upper end of magnification.
    I'd set them up again if I were doing it over with Burris. Excellent value for thr price point.
    I like the extra magnification range, but probably don’t need it and it gives up a fair amount of elevation adjustment even in the 34mm tube. Plus I’ve gotten used to shooting my CF stuff at much lower powers then I used to just because it makes transition faster and unless I’m holding wind it don’t really need to see every last bit of the reticle.

Now I’m sure if I went to a 40moa rail I could get it done with my current glass but I don’t really have any reason to essentially slam the scope all the way in its travel besides those long stages and I’m not sure how precise mid tier stuff is at its limits.

I wouldn’t call the Strike Eagle a pos!! I just got one and am pretty impressed with it. Have a zco, atacr, and k525i on my other rimfires, and though it is not as good, it still does a very nice job on top of one of my vudoos.

keep your scope and get the Burris bushing rings.
    I get a full 25 mils of available elevation on my Midas 6-24 in a 30mm tube. Gets me to 450 without hold overs.

I recently got the XTRIII, I'll be getting another soon. I've got a Athlon cronus with a 20 moa on my .22lr, I've dialed to 385 yards without running out of travel. Haven't tried shooting farther yet. Guess I'll have to break it out at a long range practice tomorrow.

Why not the xtr pro instead of the iii?
    Price, availability and I’ve heard from a few people who had hands on that it seems the optical quality isn’t as good as the iii but without actually looking through the glass it’s just a rumor.

Have you looked through a 3-18 XTR3? It does have pretty good glass but it also has some weirdness at longer distances. Mine seems hard to focus sometimes. its like it almost is in focus but not quite 100%.

Have you looked through a 3-18 XTR3? It does have pretty good glass but it also has some weirdness at longer distances. Mine seems hard to focus sometimes. its like it almost is in focus but not quite 100%.
    I've had 3 of the 3-18 XTR3's and still have 3 of the 5.5-30x56

The 5.5-30x56 models all have much better glass than my 18x models did. I've heard same from others. I'd skip the 3-18 and go straight for the 5.5-30x models.

The difference is very noticeable......