• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New optic for Spr 1-10 or 2-10

B Man

Little Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
South side of Big River
So I have been looking for something to replace an optic on an accurate Spr build. Is there a 1-10 that will compare to the 2-10’s on top end with clarity and forgiveness in ? I really like the idea of a 1-10 but folks that really run them say they still are not as forgiving as a 2-10 on the top end. I have even thought to buy Sigs whisky5 2-10 SFP because i haven’t really seen a 2-10 FFP I’m happy with on low power reticle without needing illumination.

Last edited:
So I have been looking for something to replace an optic on an accurate Spr build. Is there a 1-10 that will compare to the 2-10’s on top end with clarity and forgiveness in ? I really like the idea of a 1-10 but folks that really run them say they still are not as forgiving as a 2-10 on the top end. I have even thought to buy Sigs whisky5 2-10 SFP because i haven’t really seen a 2-10 FFP I’m happy with on low power reticle without needing illumination.
I'd say go for a 2-10 scope if you can find one that suits your requirements.

On paper a 2-10/2-12 makes more sense if you don't need 1x but that lack of options means they are only better on paper.

Reactions: B Man and simonp
What are you doing with the rifle ?

Vortex 1-10 is nice.
If not too expensive / chonky , 4-16x42 with red dot on top would work well.

I like 2.5-20s but reticle is pretty thin on low power

Reactions: camocorvette
The Sig Whiskey 5 2-10s are a steal when you can pick them up used. The reticles are pretty bold and if you don't need the 1x on the bottom end they make a pretty good scope for not a lot of money. Glass is pretty good and they have a zero stop, although it is finicky. I've tried about every 2-10 I could find which isn't many and for the the value you can buy them for used, its hard to do better unless you want to spend 3x the money. The FFP isn't important to me on a 10x optic, because if i need to use the subtensions in the reticle I'm going to be on 10x anyways, or set it on 5x and the math is easy.

Delta is coming out with a 1-10x28 with adjustable parallax. A hair over 21oz.

There’s a thread on it: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...d-3-5-21x44-reticle-and-spec-details.7178543/

Looks like September release. We’ll have to see what the image quality is and what the eye box is like.

But for a forgiving 10x top end, the NXS 2.5-10 seems to be a good option.

Reactions: B Man
For an SPR, I think you should go for the 2-10.

This lightly used Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x32 is a little heavy, but pretty nice. It has parallax adjustment, and is illuminated.

I’m considering the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 and the Tract Toric 2.5-15x44. As far as I know, both are made by LOW in Japan.

Reactions: BCP and B Man
For an SPR, I think you should go for the 2-10.

This lightly used Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x32 is a little heavy, but pretty nice. It has parallax adjustment, and is illuminated.
I've been using that same optic a lot recently (on an 18" .223 gas gun) and quite like it. I prefer it for longer range engagements than my 1-10 Razor G3. My only real quibble is I wish the turrets were locking (or locking elevation, capped windage).

Are you running and gunning, or doing more prone stuff? The answer to your question should be pretty simple:
  • 80% close stuff / 20% reaching out: 1-10
  • 20% close stuff / 80% reaching out: 2-10
  • 50% close stuff / 50% reaching out: You're trying to make one gun do too much. Get two uppers, one with LPVO/RDS, and one with a distance scope.

Are you running and gunning, or doing more prone stuff? The answer to your question should be pretty simple:
  • 50% close stuff / 50% reaching out: You're trying to make one gun do too much. Get two uppers, one with LPVO/RDS, and one with a distance scope.
These are wise words. The use case dictates the setup.

In virtually every variable scope with a 1x, you end up giving up a lot on the high end magnification to get a good 1x.

Id take the 2-10 and throw an offset red dot if you're worried about 1x engagment distances.

Reactions: B Man and rothgyr
I was in the same boat with my LMT MWS and ended up with the MK5 3-18 super light and definitely more versatile than the MK5 2-10 I almost bought.

Reactions: BCP and B Man
Sorry for late reply. Got side tracked with a hurricane…. All good now, minor issues compared to others.

What are you doing with the rifle ?

Vortex 1-10 is nice.
If not too expensive / chonky , 4-16x42 with red dot on top would work well.

I like 2.5-20s but reticle is pretty thin on low power
This is a do it all rifle. Kinda my one grab and run gun. I still built it with precision in mind but lighter and easier to maneuver.

The Sig Whiskey 5 2-10s are a steal when you can pick them up used. The reticles are pretty bold and if you don't need the 1x on the bottom end they make a pretty good scope for not a lot of money. Glass is pretty good and they have a zero stop, although it is finicky. I've tried about every 2-10 I could find which isn't many and for the the value you can buy them for used, its hard to do better unless you want to spend 3x the money. The FFP isn't important to me on a 10x optic, because if i need to use the subtensions in the reticle I'm going to be on 10x anyways, or set it on 5x and the math is easy.

This is good to read. I’m leaning hard to it just not a lot of info on it. I’m willing to give up FFP for a 10x scope to have a useful low magnification reticle that’s still useful if illumination failed. I honestly don’t like the idea of relying on a battery on my FFP scopes if I had to. Wish more company’s would see a need for a good Spr type scope with reticle choice like the Athlon Helos 2-12. I just don’t trust it in hard use from reading on it, but I really like the reticle.

I’m considering the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 and the Tract Toric 2.5-15x44. As far as I know, both are made by LOW in Japan.
I have a credo that has been a tank. Very solid, especially for the money. The 2-10 reticle just looks to small on the low end is my worry. I have two 2.5-15 T6 Steiner’s. One of my favorite’s but the 15x and size of the optics just don’t fit this build. Been running a 3-15 pst ii on it and just want something smaller.

Athlon Helos G2 DMR 2-12x42

Really like the reticle, just don’t trust the durability from some reviews and test.

I've been using that same optic a lot recently (on an 18" .223 gas gun) and quite like it. I prefer it for longer range engagements than my 1-10 Razor G3. My only real quibble is I wish the turrets were locking (or locking elevation, capped windage).

That is my complaint with the Pst ii. I can handle the non locking elevation, just wish the Windage was at least capped and that would probably be my overall pick. I have found mine a few times moved on Windage. I may still settle on it in the end. It does have a huge FOV though.
This rifle is for everything. I’m not gi joe knocking down doors though, I’m practical. Rifle is my one grab and run, stays on the farm in my ranger/pickup, shoot hogs, etc…. I have 45* irons and had a 3-15 on it but wanted to try a more compact set up. I do push the gun long range just practicing but that is not its primary purpose so going to switch things up to still have useful precision at extended range (600 yards and in) but have a useable close range setup. I keep wanting to try a 1-10 lpvo but seems 2-10 is always the most logical answer for me and its purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itsadryheat
The more traditional design of the 2-10 will be nicer to use at 10x however they are much more limited in options/reticles than the lpvo counter parts. Depending on the type of shooting you'll be doing youre going to have to pick between optical characteristics or reticle choice being more important. I can push my atacr 1-8 to 600 on silhouettes all day long but there is no way I'm hitting a 6" plate at 600 consistently with it.

Host 12.5 criterion core 223 wylde with mk262's

I only have a sample of two of the Athlon HG2 2-12'S but they have held up well.

If one were to give you a problem just send it back and they'll likely send you a new one.
I doubt this scope is any less reliable than other Co's scopes in this price range??

I use one of mine on a 6mmFatRat and hit our 1122 yard steel no problem.
It's a scope that is a bit different and because of that I enjoy it more than others I've tried like a NF 2.5-10×24, a SWFA 3-15, and a Bushnell 3-12 LRHS.

I have a March shorty 1-10 on my 16" AR but it's for home defense and the occasional 3 gun match/1×. When plinking at steel it's on 10x.

But I like 12x more as well as the FatRat for reaching out so I shoot it 3 times as much.

Just to update I bought a new Sig Whisky 5 2-10 PA had instock. It was the compromise that met my goals on this rifle for Weight, reticle, glass, and turrets.
I just feel I will not be happy with a 1-10 lpvo for my needs from research.

Last edited:
Initial impressions are very good so far. Nice and compact, locking elevation with zero stop, 22.1 oz with battery on my scale, good eye relief & fairly forgiving, glass is great, and made in Japan. Seems like they had a great little optic. I think it will fill the role nice even giving up FFP that’s not a huge concern with a 2-10x.
Appreciate the little nudge I needed to pull the trigger on it @Millron
92BA4F3E-FB95-41D1-A980-B31B5492E2D7.jpeg
F19091A9-55B1-42B7-B6EB-F00A8D394D2C.jpeg
0F35B87F-3DC6-403C-AFD3-A33AF56C1429.jpeg

Reactions: JS8588