• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Optic Help

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
Houston Texas
Since the board has been really good in the past with recommendations, I would like to ask your help. I came across an 18" Gen 3 Noveske upper and I bought it because why wouldn't I. Currently, all of my ARs are actually SBR and the only magnified optic I used is the 3x EOTECH Magnifier for my holo and that works well for the ranges I have been shooting.

We have a nice range outside of Houston in Eagle Lake that goes out to 1K meters and I would actually like to see what I can do with the AR platform. The last time I bought an optic was circa 2010 or 2011 and I am guessing that things have changed pretty dramatically. I can go up to about $3k on the optic.

I would prefer the optic to be rugged and not overly large (I don't want something like 5x25). I would prefer FFP and MRAD because I have a basic understanding of how those systems work. While I suppose I can learn how to use them, some of the new reticles are very intimidating to me so I would ideally like one that is a little less cluttered/precise but one that would still allow me to do holdover shots out to 600 to 800 meters.

Thanks.

Does weight matter to you? Gen 2 Razor or Burris XTR3 would be high on my list.

The Leupold Mk5 3-18 is pretty good, for around 1500 or so. If you willing to play the game of diminishing returns, the NF ATACR 4-16 is a little better for an extra grand. While I have not shot them, alot of people have great things to say about the gen II Vortex razor for only a couple hundred bucks over the mk5.

While I like nice optics, I think there is a point of diminishing returns with a lot of the gear we chase and we call all probably use a little more trigger time.

Kahles K318i SKMR3
Leupold MK5 3.6-18
March optics has quite a few compact models with like 1.5-15, 3-24, 2.5-25, etc.
Maybe a used ZCO 420

For a lower price point I’ve been very happy with the Meopta 3-18x56 $800
It’s not as refined as the others but the glass is crisp and the tracking has been spot on. Windage is capped and the elevation turret isn’t the easiest to set the zero stop on. Just figured I throw it in the ring