• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Oregon member

Ranchhand

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2020
Central Oregon
I'm new here and looking to learn and network with other shooters.
I ranch in central Oregon and with all the room I thought a long range rifle in my inventory was a good idea. Still working on that.
I am prior military, both Marines and Army national guard but not an subject matter expert on anything.
I'll do my best to search before I ask questions.
Thanks for having me.

Good luck and welcome. Indeed a long range rifle is indicated for your region. I retired in Lakeview, OR, and really enjoyed the vistas found in eastern Oregon, immensely. I'll leave it to others to suggest a proper rifle, but expect everything from Savages to high dollar custom -builts that take 4 years to deliver. I made to with a bench rest "speedy" Gonzales custom made 22/250, that I bought used, and a TC Encore with a .308 24 inch heavy fluted barrel. Knocked down everything I cared to shoot at . Kept it under 500 yds, though, since I am old and infirm. Depending on where you are located, your local long distance shooting club can introduce you to some of what is out there. Certainly the long shots are there for the taking.
I gave up on Oregon (politics, property taxes), except for Archery Elk/Deer, and moved to Texas.

Thanks everyone.
I just ordered a Remington m7005r gen 2 in 6.5 creedmoor.
I also have a vortex viper 6x24 with some fancy Christmas tree reticle in the works thanks to a good friend.
It's busy time right now here on the ranch but I'll make time to shoot when all the pieces come together.

Dude, look at you! Glad to have ya here and welcome from Middle Georgia. Sounds like a good rifle coming together and a great amount of room to shoot, even if the city folks are screwing up by the numbers. But that's a different forum, namely the "Bear Pit". Lots to search and research here and since you're a multiple offender (more than one service) you've got some trigger time behind ya. I know you'll enjoy some of the reading and videos here when the weather starts sucking over there directly. But I look forward to seeing some good posts in the future from ya...

Reactions: Ranchhand
I know this is an older thread but highly recommend getting out to Cossa for a monthly match. I finally went with just the mindset to absorb knowledge and didn't actually do too bad. It's a good group of guys and gals that just want to see growth in the sport. Hope to see you out there!

I'm a former Oregon resident now in Puget Sound, welcome to "the hide". There are a great many terrific places to shoot in central and S.E. Oregon. I used to spend lots of time shooting around Burns, French Glen and Fields, Or. Once you get past French Glenn, the distances you can shoot are almost unlimited. Especially once you get out toward the Alvord desert. If you ever do get down there, there are even hot springs where you can take a great soak. It has been years since I was down there, but the fishing at the tributaries into Mann lake, and the lake itself used to be legendary. 16" minimum trout, no bait, no barbs allowed, and the hard part was keeping the "little" 12"-15" trout off your hook.

Reactions: Ranchhand