• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors *** NEW *** Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 Suppressor - First Shots!

FuhQ

Unreconstructed
Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2013
    Your Wife's Pussy
    New video is up with my new Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 suppressor! This is the quietest 5.56 suppressor I've ever shot, and it sounds amazing!

As always, weapon & suppressor specs, and my personal opinions are in the description box of the video.

Your experience mirrors mine, very good silencer.

"I get all of my Suppressors, Tax Stamps, and Trusts through Silencer Shop." How'd you get the Otter Creek? Just curious.
    Direct from Andrew, since I was helping do pre-production T&R for them before the public release. They sent them Form 3 to my local SOT (range). Then we used SS for the paperwork and eForm submission, since my local dealer is a Powered By dealer with the kiosk.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
    Anyone else have/have shot a Polonium want to chime in their opinions?

I'm sure a few might be able to chime in after they go the Quiet In the Capitol event at Capitol Armory this weekend. Andrew and John from OCL will be there with all their cans, and their new solid inconel 7.62 duty can called the "Infinity".

I haven’t had an opportunity, but everything in reading says it’s outstanding.
    @FuhQ Have you had a chance to try the “K” version? Size is always a factor for my preferences, so just curious.
    Thanks

I haven’t had an opportunity, but everything in reading says it’s outstanding.
    @FuhQ Have you had a chance to try the “K” version? Size is always a factor for my preferences, so just curious.
    Thanks
    I haven’t… I don’t own any K-cans, as I much prefer volume over length. But that’s a personal preference. IMO, the Polonium is already so short, even with a KeyMo mount, that the full-length version is the size of most K-cans, but suppresses like a true S-can. It’s extremely impressive for its size, I recommend just giving the full-size Polo a go. With the KeyMo, it’s the same size as a Sandman-S, but noticeably quieter. About the same weight, too.

Here’s a few pics for a visual comparison.

L-to-R: Sandman -S MIL-contract, Polonium w/ KeyMo, Hydrogen-S w/ KeyMo.

IMG_5935.jpeg

L-to-R: Polonium, Hydro-L 7.62, Hydro-S 7.62, Hydro-S 6.5mm

IMG_6376.jpeg

My .02's no 5.56 can is going to make any 5.56 truly quiet. It may be hearing-safe, but saving a few decibels is not really a big deal. Are these full auto-rated cans? Are they gonna hold up to a pounding of running drills mag after mag? Lots of great 5.56 cans on the market already, why are these so much better? Price, dependability, weight, because if saving a few decibels on a 5.56 is the criteria then not really that exciting.

My .02's no 5.56 can is going to make any 5.56 truly quiet. It may be hearing-safe, but saving a few decibels is not really a big deal. Are these full auto-rated cans? Are they gonna hold up to a pounding of running drills mag after mag? Lots of great 5.56 cans on the market already, why are these so much better? Price, dependability, weight, because if saving a few decibels on a 5.56 is the criteria then not really that exciting.
    You are correct, 5.56 is kind of a bitch to suppress, but these are pretty good cans. Everyone who has heart it and shot it has talked about getting one. Yes, these are full-auto duty-rated 5.56 cans. Yes, they're solid heat-treated 17-4 stainless steel, they will hold up to massive amounts of abuse, even on short barrels. Why are they so much better? They're quieter than the Sandman-S, but can handle the same basic abuse. Price is only $550 MSRP. Specs can be found on their website.

And, you can now backorder them on @Silencer Shop ...

Specs on their website...

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 8.27.47 PM.png

Let's also not forget that it's the quietest (at the muzzle) 5.56 can on PEW Science's charts.

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 8.32.16 PM.png

Looks to me like the HX-QD 556 is the quietest 😛

Good info!
    Oh, and the Polonium cans have a 6mm bore, so you can shoot 6mm ARC, .243 Win, 6mm BR, 6mm Dasher, 6mm Creedmoor, etc... through them. It was tested and tuned (internal volume & baffle design) to properly suppress 6mm ARC, as well as 5.56. Not sure if it's public knowledge, but this was info that Andrew told me directly in texts.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA

It's not "hearing safe".

At the ear, but it suffers at the muzzle, just like most flow-through style cans.

For the shooter, being quieter at the ear will result in the more pleasant experience than worrying about what the muzzle dB's are.

ETA:

If we are going to focus on dB numbers, then nuance and context matters. A semi behaves differently than a bolt gun with suppressors. There's the added factor of the port, which is another origin of noise in addition to the muzzle. Back pressure is an important component to suppressors on semi's such as ar-15's in order to optimize that noise and for functionality purposes.

Flow through suppressors are designed to be optimal on semi's. For reliable function and for reduced dB at the shooters ears. Because flow through suppressors are designed to be optimal for the nuances of a semi system, they are a less than optimal choice for a bolt gun.

On a bolt gun, generally the lowest dB at muzzle will correlate to the lowest dB at shooters ear, unlike a semi. If we are focused on semi platforms and dB's, that shooters ear number matters.

All that said, I think we focus way too much on dB's with suppressors. There are many other factors that are equally important when it comes to suppressors. I'm sure the polonium is a fine suppressor and works well on semi's, but if we are going to focus on shooters ear vs muzzle discrepancies, then context matters.

Last edited:
    this guy sure loves ocl a lot...he tried loving dead air a lot but I guess they didn’t return the love...looks like ocl is returning the love tho, good for him. $$$

Reactions: 30calDeath
    this guy sure loves ocl a lot...he tried loving dead air a lot but I guess they didn’t return the love...looks like ocl is returning the love tho, good for him. $$$
    You might want to watch your accusations.

Nobody pays me any money, except my day job. I’m friends with Todd and Mike at Dead Air, and they’re good folks. I’m friends with Andrew at OCL. And I talk with Ray from TBAC on occasion, he’s a good dude, as well.

Andrew was the one who asked me would I be interested in doing some pre-production T&R for them on the Hydrogen cans, so I BOUGHT 2 of them. And I was impressed, so bought the other 2 OCL cans, as well. I’ve paid for every suppressor, gun, scope, etc… out of my own pocket.

Has anyone tried this can on bolt action. Curious how the accuracy is with this can for the price point seems like a good candidate for my 18in .223 bolt gun.

Has anyone tried this can on bolt action. Curious how the accuracy is with this can for the price point seems like a good candidate for my 18in .223 bolt gun.
    I haven’t tried it on my 6mm ARC yet (don’t have a bolt .22 caliber anymore), but once it comes back from Christensen Arms, I will. I’ve seen videos of it on .223, .22 Creed, 6mm Creed, .243 Win, and 6 ARC, and it’s really quiet for it’s size, and has a great deep tone, since it’s full 17-4pH stainless steel.

I wouldn’t worry about the level of precision in his cans, Andrew builds them for precision shooting, and even has quite a few guys shooting them in comps. The accuracy on my .223 AR’s has been exceptional.

These cans looks like the best deal out there when you factor design, materials, sound quality, durability and Price.

Going to order a k model to run on 556 , 6arc and 6gt. For $520....nothing comes close imo.

Reactions: FuhQ
    These cans looks like the best deal out there when you factor design, materials, sound quality, durability and Price.

Going to order a k model to run on 556 , 6arc and 6gt. For $520....nothing comes close imo.
    Yeah I just ordered one finally. I don't really need any more .30cal but I will be happy to have another 556/6mm can.

Have a polo k in jail, will be spending some time with it since it’s at the ffl up the road. Plans are to swap it between a 13.7 mid length and a 11.5 mid length suppressor optimized host, so we will see how it does.

Hope this thread is not too far dead. But did I see that OCL had a full inconel can? I can’t seem to find it on their website.

Hope this thread is not too far dead. But did I see that OCL had a full inconel can? I can’t seem to find it on their website.
    This thread isn’t dead, just hibernating…

Yes, but @AndrewKing said he wasn’t happy with it, so he scrapped the original design, and started over with it. He said it should drop 2024.

This thread isn’t dead, just hibernating…

Yes, but @AndrewKing said he wasn’t happy with it, so he scrapped the original design, and started over with it. He said it should drop.
    Gotcha.
    Thanks. Debating between this and the inconel B&T can.

Gotcha.
    Thanks. Debating between this and the inconel B&T can.
    B&T cans have proven to not be very quiet. I’d wait and get the OCL can. Plus, the OCL can will be HUB threads. I’m sure the B&T will be mount specific.

Honestly, if you’re wanting it for 5.56, the Polonium is a tough SOB. They also have a new .30 caliber Polonium, as well, if you’re wanting a .30 caliber can (which is what the new Inconel can will be).

B&T cans have proven to not be very quiet. I’d wait and get the OCL can. Plus, the OCL can will be HUB threads. I’m sure the B&T will be mount specific.

Honestly, if you’re wanting it for 5.56, the Polonium is a tough SOB. They also have a new .30 caliber Polonium, as well, if you’re wanting a .30 caliber can (which is what the new Inconel can will be).
    30 cal would be ideal and happy to wait for the inconel.I ll take the perfect hit when it gets moved to the 556. Not like I am ditching ear pro anyway.

30 cal would be ideal and happy to wait for the inconel.I ll take the perfect hit when it gets moved to the 556. Not like I am ditching ear pro anyway.

I'm struggling to understand the argument in favor of Inconel construction when the inexpensive Polonium is rated for belt-fed use. If it's not expensive enough, buy two.

I'm struggling to understand the argument in favor of Inconel construction when the inexpensive Polonium is rated for belt-fed use. If it's not expensive enough, buy two.
    Not opposed to it but if I remember correctly from years and years ago inconel has better heat resistant properties than stainless. Now does it matter with my firing schedule, probably not after all stainless barrels last pretty well. but if I can get the more heat resistant material why not.

Not opposed to it but if I remember correctly from years and years ago inconel has better heat resistant properties than stainless. Now does it matter with my firing schedule, probably not after all stainless barrels last pretty well. but if I can get the more heat resistant material why not.
    You are WAAAAAY behind the times bro. Heat treated 17-4 is solid. The owner of OCL ( @AndrewKing ) tested durability on many competitor’s cans, and his own designs with a 4.75” M4 in full-auto with a D60 drum mag on it. The Polonium didn’t even get phased.

Maybe Andrew can post up some video of those tests and the photos of the blast baffles from ask the cans he tested… It will shock you which ones don’t hold up, and what materials they’re made of.

You are WAAAAAY behind the times bro. Heat treated 17-4 is solid. The owner of OCL ( @AndrewKing ) tested durability on many competitor’s cans, and his own designs with a 4.75” M4 in full-auto with a D60 drum mag on it. The Polonium didn’t even get phased.

Maybe Andrew can post up some video of those tests and the photos of the blast baffles from ask the cans he tested… It will shock you which ones don’t hold up, and what materials they’re made of.
    I am sure it is solid . No argument there. Also great materials can’t always defeat a poor design. However, from this thread alone I heard OCL was planning on an inconel can. So I would be curious as to their rationale

I want one or two of these for my ARs. I run TBAC on my bolt guns. But these are cheap and sound like they are good for ARs

I want one or two of these for my ARs. I run TBAC on my bolt guns. But these are cheap and sound like they are good for ARs
    They are excellent cans. Very well built, and sound great. They do an amazing job of taming-down the loud 5.56 cartridge. 👍🏼

My next can will be a polonium k. Buddy has the regular polonium and it's solid AF. Especially for thr price.
    If you want a REALLY nice precision rifle & hunting can that will put down better numbers than the Ultra 7 G2...And sound amazing, look into the Hydrogen-S 7.62. If you want max suppression and don't mind a 9" can, the Hydrogen-L 7.62 is a badass, and holds its own right up there with the TBAC Magnus, and DA Nomad-LT.