• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New owner of a CZ 457 royal

tracktrash

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2019
Had to have my hands on one of these bad boys... they just look so elegant. Just waiting on thread adapter for the Silencerco Sparrow, rings, and glass. Running a 30 MOA rail from MPA probably will go with Nightforce ultralight rings to keep the weight down. Just moved into the house I am in and the place is of course surrounded by big oak trees that drop lots of acorns which... attracts a shit ton of squirrels. I hate squirrels. At my last house they got into my house and started nesting and chewing wires. I am on a mission to kill every one of those little bastards which is why I bought this gun, the ol' German RWS .177 caliber pellet gun shooting at 650 fps isnt cutting it. My other .22 rifles are non threaded and when I saw this bad boy I had to have it. All my shots will be from 15-100 yards so I am wanting something that will parallax down to that I am thinking maybe the new Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x50 but that parallaxes down to only 20 yards. I can get that scope for around $850 new... seems pretty hard to beat with another scope that is in that price range.

One thing I noticed with the gun that kinda made me question some craftsmanship.. Overall shape and finish is GREAT except the barrel is so far off center of the stock that it's almost touching the right side of the barrel channel in the stock.

x2MZDM1.jpg

aeojZfb.jpg

Reactions: texasrimfirenut
Mine isn’t worth a darn. I shoulda bought the one in the manners stock or a tikka tx1. I’m really disappointed with mine. I had hopes of shooting 22lr to save a little coin on ammo. Hopefully yours will be better.

Mine isn’t worth a darn. I shoulda bought the one in the manners stock or a tikka tx1. I’m really disappointed with mine. I had hopes of shooting 22lr to save a little coin on ammo. Hopefully yours will be better.

thats too bad... apparently all cz457 are bedded though? The test target that came with the gun show it shoots sub moa

tracktrash,
Beautiful rifle, it's sad to see the barrel off center in the channel like that. I know that would piss me off for sure.

thats too bad... apparently all cz457 are bedded though? The test target that came with the gun show it shoots sub moa

I don't believe they are all bedded, just the MTR if I remember correctly. I have seen the new VPT out of its Manners carbon stock and it does not have bedding.

- julietfox

Normally the action screws are loose allowing the barrel and action to be off center and moving around in the stock. Torque the action screws up to 20 inch pounds while holding the barrel in the center of the groove. You may wish to take them up to 30 inch pounds later. This will compress the action into the wood in line with the center line of the barrel channel.

My mistake it is supposed to be bedded with aluminum bedding blocks.

Last edited:
tracktrash,
Beautiful rifle, it's sad to see the barrel off center in the channel like that. I know that would piss me off for sure.

I don't believe they are all bedded, just the MTR if I remember correctly. I have seen the new VPT out of its Manners carbon stock and it does not have bedding.

- julietfox

Thank you!

I was reading through the manual that came with the gun and it just said every 457 is bedded. I guess they are lying! Lol.

Normally the action screws are loose allowing the barrel and action to be off center and moving around in the stock. Torque the action screws up to 20 inch pounds while holding the barrel in the center of the groove. You may wish to take them up to 30 inch pounds later. This will compress the action into the wood in line with the center line of the barrel channel.

My mistake it is supposed to be bedded with aluminum bedding blocks.

I will give this a try... I did stick a dollar bill under the barrel and slid it all the way back to the receiver and didn't feel any resistance so it is still free floated but at this point its just cosmetic. Frustrating when ya pay $679 plus shipping/tax/transfer fees.

Bud’s here has an MTR with decent figure in the wood on the wall. The alignment on it looks like yours. I would have bought it if not for that.

Thank you!

I was reading through the manual that came with the gun and it just said every 457 is bedded. I guess they are lying! Lol.

I wonder if they are counting the pillars as "bedding"? The VPT definitely has two, seemingly aluminum, pillars full depth through the stock.
Have you had a chance to get it out to the range and see how it shoots yet? Here's hoping it does great for you, even with the barrel channel screw up!

- julietfox

Attachments

• IMG_0739.JPEG
    IMG_0739.JPEG
    515.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0740.JPEG
    IMG_0740.JPEG
    606.8 KB · Views: 154
I wonder if they are counting the pillars as "bedding"? The VPT definitely has two, seemingly aluminum, pillars full depth through the stock.
Have you had a chance to get it out to the range and see how it shoots yet? Here's hoping it does great for you, even with the barrel channel screw up!

- julietfox

Havn't had the time to shoot it yet... work on the road during the week. I have a Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50 SFP scope coming Friday.. just gotta find a decent pair of rings and I will be set. Excited to see the groups it'll shoot. Even though I will be using this as a squirrel gun for around the property I will most likely make it a good grouse gun for road hunting. Growing up I killed 300+ grouse with dad road hunting with a simple 10/22

All the CZs are loose in the stocks when you get them. At least every one I've handled. They settle to the bottom side while in the box during shipment and whatnot. Loosen the screws up some, center it up and torque them down. It will be fine. I've had to do it to every one I've had and my brother in law has had.

These look like really nice rifles but why, oh, why do they insist on laser engraving the name/model on the side? Sako do it on the Quad Range rifles and it just looks super cheap IMHO. Anyone who knows, knows ...

These look like really nice rifles but why, oh, why do they insist on laser engraving the name/model on the side? Sako do it on the Quad Range rifles and it just looks super cheap IMHO. Anyone who knows, knows ...

i kinda like it!

what I don’t like is this 30 MOA rail from MPA. Ordered from their site and came wrapped in bubble wrap with no instructions. Called them and they said 30 in/lb of torque for the side screws and 17 in/lb for the rear set screw (second step). Well, the screws stripped at 15 in/lbs using my borka torque driver..even sheared the bit off my borka bit. 30 in/lbs is way too high for those size of screws. Don’t know the size but it was the smallest Allen bit in the Borka kit.

emailed them.. hope they take it back and fix their design. Won’t be buying one of those again!

to whoever mentioned the action screws being loose ... you were right! Retorqued them and now the barrel is centered

One thing I noticed with the gun that kinda made me question some craftsmanship.. Overall shape and finish is GREAT except the barrel is so far off center of the stock that it's almost touching the right side of the barrel channel in the stock.

I know im bringing this back from the dead. With my Royal I had the same issue. If you loosen the action screws, you can ever so slightly twist the action to have the barrel line up in the stock perfection. Retorque and your done.

All the CZs are loose in the stocks when you get them. At least every one I've handled. They settle to the bottom side while in the box during shipment and whatnot. Loosen the screws up some, center it up and torque them down. It will be fine. I've had to do it to every one I've had and my brother in law has had.
Makes me wonder what else they left loose. It seems pride in work is a thing of the past.

The quality is there for sure. But the new action block system they have allows for tight joining of the action and stock while allowing a bit of wiggle room. It's not as nice as a fully bedded stock. But for a factory rifle, it's not bad at all.

Soxx - Really great advice. I’d hate to see someone throw the baby out with the bathwater for a slightly off center barrel alignment when such a potentially simple fix exists. Thanks for sharing.

OP - any results on how she shoots? She sure is a looker.

YMMV, happy shooting

Soxx - Really great advice. I’d hate to see someone throw the baby out with the bathwater for a slightly off center barrel alignment when such a potentially simple fix exists. Thanks for sharing.

OP - any results on how she shoots? She sure is a looker.

YMMV, happy shooting

It had really bothered me when I first unboxed it. I pulled the action out to adjust the trigger and give it a once over. Putting it back together I saw that there was just enough of a shim to it to get it perfect. The 457s also have a steel tang that interlock between the action and the stock. It locks in quite tight.

To touch on accuracy, with the 16" it is extremely accurate. It shoots As good as my 457 precision varmint.

Last edited:
What barrels can you put in the CZ 457 Royal? Will the Heavy/Varmit barrels fit if you want to swap??

tracktrash,

- julietfox
My MTR was not bedded. It does have plastic pillars, but the barrel was off center to the right. Bedded the front action screw area to center the barrel. Will see how it shoots, but will drill out the plastic pillars & bed with Pete’s pillars when they arrive.

OFG