• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors NEW OWNER! Rimfire--Steps before firing???

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
I pick my Dead Air Mask HD from jail tomorrow. Its going to see use on a few 22's. Its my first and I am pretty excited. I know some folks recommend pre-treating the suppressor in oil or lube of some kind to make cleaning easier later on. Anyone have any advice???

For suggestions as to proper steps... See post #2. 👍🏼

Cleaning it back to "new-ish" looking baffles will be a bitch regardless, and it will never be as clean as it is the very second before you pull the trigger for the first time. So, if you want some glamour-shot photos of the can and baffles, then take them before you ever shoot it. 👍🏼

Try soda blasting to clean it, fast and easy. If using a blaster style gun, soda gets everywhere and enough of it in one spot will kill the grass. Works good though

I would weigh it.
Weighing in the future would indicate how much build up is inside the can.
it may give you an indicator on when it needs cleaning just by throwing it on a scale.

• Love
Reactions: Holliday
I would weigh it.
Weighing in the future would indicate how much build up is inside the can.
it may give you an indicator on when it needs cleaning just by throwing it on a scale.
With a rimfire can, I'd say it's best to just clean it about every 500 rounds. I clean it after just about every trip to the range, which, for me, is anywhere from 150-500 rounds. If you want to see just how nasty rimfire ammo is, and how quickly a .22 can gets filthy, put 100 rounds of bulk-pack through one, and then pull the can apart and look at the baffles. It will blow your mind. 👍🏼

With a rimfire can, I'd say it's best to just clean it about every 500 rounds. I clean it after just about every trip to the range, which, for me, is anywhere from 150-500 rounds. If you want to see just how nasty rimfire ammo is, and how quickly a .22 can gets filthy, put 100 rounds of bulk-pack through one, and then pull the can apart and look at the baffles. It will blow your mind. 👍🏼
This. I think weighing is more applicable to sealed cans. For a rimfire, you can just look inside. My variation is that I clean every 1000 rounds. I set out 2 bricks of ammo and clean when they're gone. Repeat.

Reactions: nikonNUT and FuhQ
At 300 rounds of a mix of SK Standard+/CCI SV I have picked up 0.1 to 0.2oz of weight. I clean at 1K as well... or when I'm bored :LOL: