• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New pack review: Camelbak Urban Assault bag

6.5mmman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Houston
I got a new EDC bag recently and I feel Ive used it long enough to post a little review. If I posted this in the wrong forum, excuse me, this seems like a good section for a gear review.

First a little info.
-<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Camelbak Urban Assault</span></span> pack.
-1850 CU IN (30.3 L) Capacity
-70oz. Water capacity
-All YKK zippers and 500D cordura construction
-MSRP: 150USD. (I got mine for 118 shipped at Optics Planet)

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Initial Impressions</span></span>
WOW. This bag feels sturdy as hell. I was surprised at the weight when i first unboxed it, but its not too heavy. I should have expected the weight given the size of the bag, and the hard back. It also includes a 70oz reservoir with the bag, which is awesome considering it also has 2 side pockets made specifically to hold a 750Ml Nalgene bottle each. The hydration bladder pocket is insulated and padded, and is meant to act as a laptop pocket when you dont need a hydration bladder. This is awesome for university students for EDCers, which is a reason i picked this bag. Its advertised to hold a 15" laptop, which is plenty for most, but I seriously doubt it would have any problem accommodating a 17" laptop. If you choose to place a laptop instead of a bladder in your bag for the day, you can still easily fit two 750ml bottles in the bag, as the sidepockets are made for this. The bladder pocket is also equipped with a heavy duty waterproof YKK zipper.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Durability</span></span>
I cant speak to this just yet, as ive only carried the bag a few weeks, but it screams quality. There were no loose threads or irish pennants on the seams when I unboxed it, and no problems so far (as expected). Seems bulletproof. Its 500D cordura as opposed to the 1000D some companies use, but I feel its geared more toward college students and urban travelers than operators and hikers, so that should never be a problem. The stitching is heavy duty and the zippers are all YKK with metal sleeves on the pulls for grip, which is a cool touch.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Comfort</span></span>
This is a very comfortable bag. I have no problem carrying it for hours around campus or around town with books/laptop, or water. The back is rigid and the padding on the back and straps is very comfortable. No complaints in this department.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Other thoughts</span></span>
Also has several other cool features, like a fleece lined pocket on the top for your ipod/wallet/sunglasses. The middle pocket also has organization for all your gear, as well as a mesh zipper pocket for a FAK/travel gear. The laptop pocket is badass, and will be used often. Every strap also has a velcro wrap system for strap management, which makes adjustment easy and keeps things clean. I also like the metal sleeves on the zipper pulls. It has a velcro field on the front for a name tape or patches. The one thing I dont care for is the skull and tribal design on the front. It makes the bag look kinda cheap. I can get over that though, given how badass the rest of the bag is.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Bottom Line</span></span>
If you happen to be a professional student or office operator deployed in an office or school, this bag will suit you very well. If you plan on hiking/survivalist expeditions/etc, other bags may suit you better. I would have no problem recommending this bag. I love it so far. Value is very good, mine was just a little over 100 bucks and that includes the water bladder as well. Awesome product. I just wish Camelbak would put out the concealment version of this bag for civilian purchase.

Front of the bag
100MEDIAIMAG0204.jpg

Back and straps
100MEDIAIMAG0205.jpg

Side pocket with one of my bottles to show size
100MEDIAIMAG0208.jpg

Front spillover gear pocket
100MEDIAIMAG0209.jpg

Main compartment showing storage and zipper pocket
100MEDIAIMAG0211.jpg

Detail of the zipper pulls and stitching
100MEDIAIMAG0213.jpg

Re: New pack review: Camelbak Urban Assault bag

Sorry for the shitty pics. Ill get better ones soon and size them all the same. I didnt include pics of the bladder compartment/laptop sleeve, its a pretty straightforward pocket.

Thanks for the details on the pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Does it have pen slots, or a small item organizing panel? </div></div>

Yes, and i meant to include a picture of that compartment. It has a very good size compartment in front of the main compartment with an organization panel and a zipped organizer pocket as well.