• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New paint job for .45 Springfield XD?? Need Help!!

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Im looking to try to put a paint job on my .45 Springfield XD.
What is the most easy way and less painfull way to do it?

I am just looking to paint the lower half assembly not the upper slide or anything and I would like to do it myself not having to send it out. (It cant be that hard for one base color)

Would Camo Krylon in a can work? I dont need it to look perfect but I dont want it to look like sh%$. I was thinking of their flat tan color for a choice or the O.D. Green.
Is their any type of prep I should do before I paint it besides the normal cleaning?

Re: New paint job for .45 Springfield XD?? Need Help!!

Acetone to clean / degrease it.

Maybe some muriatic acid to etch the surface. (never tried it, but I know etching any surface improves adhesion) Test the acid treatment inside the mag well, or in a place not easily seen.

Mask the areas you don't want painted well.

Spray. Several light coats, not one heavy coat.

These are general rules for painting anything. No gaurantees.

send to spingfield for melonite coating. this is the same as glocks tenifer coating. this is used on all xdm's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ragingbull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send to spingfield for melonite coating. this is the same as glocks tenifer coating. this is used on all xdm's. </div></div>

Didn't know they could melonite the polymer....the upper half he said he wasn't looking to paint is already melonited.

The Krylon for plastics wears pretty well.

they make adhesion promoter in a can for plastics, softens the top layer so paint will stick, be careful using acetone it will eat some plastics.

The best way to prep the lower is to degrease it and blast with 120 gr. Alum.oxide. You should consider using Duracoat or Cerakote for the finish. The old spray bomb will not hold up for long. I wouldn't cut corners.