• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Paper Puncher

Blag

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
West Michigan, USA
Hey everyone, I have been trolling around for a bit but just became a member tonight. I also just purchased my first bolt .22 rifle (thanks to these boards!). I am hoping to get out and start attempting/learning to shoot 200+ yards (also thanks to these boards!) Let me know what you think!

Savage Mark 2 BTVS with Barska Barska 6-24x50 Varmint scope

CIMG0020.jpg

Is this a OK scope? I just sort of hastly purchased it.

Also what types of ammo does this rifle like the most?

Re: New Paper Puncher

nice lookin .22

as for what ammo it likes best..thats for you to find out. every rifle is different, even within same manufacturers/models

Welcome to the Hide, Blag.
smile.gif

If 200 yards is going to be your game (and it is a fun game), subsonic ammo is the way to go.

Don't know much about your scope so give it a good field test and let us know what you think. Also, for 200 yard shooting you may want to look into a 20 MOA Base from the Link I posted below.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_128&products_id=298

That's a mighty fine rifle you've got there. I'm sure you're going to be very happy with it!
smile.gif

Great looking gun, LOVE the darker color to the stock.
As for ammo, buy a 50 round box of everything you can readily get and try it. I've had a number of 10/22s, savages, marlins, etc and every one was different. I was pretty damn happy to discovermy Izmash/Anschutz biathlon performed great w/ Federal 510s (cheap and available). They all loved CCI mini mags, Rem sub-sonics and Federal 510s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gimmefuel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking gun, LOVE the darker color to the stock.
As for ammo, buy a 50 round box of everything you can readily get and try it. I've had a number of 10/22s, savages, marlins, etc and every one was different.my Izmash/Anschutz biathlon performed great w/ Federal 510s (cheap and available). I was pretty damn happy to discover They all loved CCI mini mags, Rem sub-sonics and Federal 510s. </div></div>

+1

Also remember that whatever ammo it likes at 50 yds. it may not be good at 100 or 200 yds.

Welcome aboard! That is a great looking rifle!

Barska's are'nt exactly known for great optics/performance.But hey at least you're shooting!

That Barska looks just like my Tasco Varmint target. I've had good results with my scope thus far.

+1 on the try 'em all til you find what ammo your gun likes.

Thanks for the replies and info everyone! I will be getting out to the range this weel and let everyone know how she performs and what type of ammo I have decided works the best.

Had some free time today, it stil have a LOT of work yet to be done. I need to made it less blocky and make the forearm smaller on top of sanding and what not.

For my first time ever attemping working with wood like this I surprised myself.

043.jpg

044-1.jpg

045-1.jpg

046.jpg

Firs ttime with wood, yes... :p

My dad owns a tool and die shop and I have machined for about 7 years.. Though that is with steel. I chucked up the block of wood and copied all the measurements of my original stock with my depth gauge and copied it exactly.

very nice savage. shoot it now since you have a scope. maybe later you will want something else, maybe not. i like my 22s since i can always take them to the indoor range. its not long, but i can shoot without driving 80 miles to the closest public range.

good looking stock, dont that hand sanding hurt later? lol i buy unfinished stocks for my 10/22s and man you never realize that sanding motion can take its toll on you. great job and nice design.

I'd like to recommend you drill through the pistol grip (parallel to the grip( and epoxy a 1/2" dowel in. These target stocks with a vertical pistol grip and that deep flute between the grip and the butt are prone to breakage along the grain through the grip.
I've fixed about a dozen of them on match air rifles and smallbore.

Nice stock, by the way.