• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New phone for older folks

That's a great idea. Does anyone remember this?

ommt2xbkx7easkq6dkyi.jpg

That's a great idea. Does anyone remember this?

ommt2xbkx7easkq6dkyi.jpg
Yep, used one for many years prior until a 4 function only, calculator came out. Once I had one with a memory it was like this is cool. Now my watch will do more than my Last TI's pocket version. was in chinamart a few years ago, lady bought 10 items that were $2.99 each with 90% off. The registers will not do a percentage discount. Watching this the store manager came over an ask if anyone had a calculator to which I replied what for? To find the discount he said,...laughing I ask if he had went to school, now pissed he replied he was collage educated, an of course my ass said,... well you need to get your money back! Now he was pissed, at 2.99each with 90% off that leaves how much Mr know it all, laughing I said they are now 29.9cents each an times 10 that would be how much w/ tax collage man (tax was 9%), he just stood there. Or you could do it like this she is buying 10 an nine are free whats the total + tax on that? He just stood there an instructed the cashier to charge he a total of 2.99 + tax,....yes collages are helping to dumb down the world.

I know how to use planter's stakes and do use them on some of our very small fields, 10-30 acres that are irregular. However, GPS is a Godsend for working larger fields, 40 to 320 acres as it steers the tractor when the dust is rolling around and you are going downwind and can't see shit and get to the end of the field and it alerts you that it is time to turn around and you find that you just plowed a line that is straight as a string and didn't overlap or get out of line, then hit the reset and do it again.
I was slow to get onto this tech knowledge but would not be without it now. Had a good teacher that showed me how it works. He made it simple and easy. Mark N.

Cell Phones, Fuck, I can't explain how hard it has been for me to learn all of this bullshit. I retired my flip phone about 2 months ago as they no longer work in my area. Now I have a "smart" phone that pisses me off to no end but I am getting better at it.
My Squaw and my Kids would try to show me how to do it and I would get pissed as they went "flick, flick, run up, poke this button flick again and poke that," and on and on with a pissed off Old Hippie asking them how they got there with all of this "flick, flick"shit and expect me to understand it?

I took my new phone down to my neighbor's house and asked him about it.

He was very kind and showed me exactly, step by step, how to do it without all of this "flick flick" shit and I am now somewhat good to go but still learning.

I think it all boils down as to how good of a "teacher" you have and they go slow so "The OLD Dog learns NEW Tricks." Bless you Mark N. FM

I still ain't posting pictures but I might learn how to???

With modern electronic technology, the problem isn't that older people can't figure it out.
Hell the "older people" are the ones who created, built and designed all the technology these young idiots now build off of.

The problem is that the GUI for everything is an ever changing unstable mess maintained by a bunch of ADD idiots that can't ever leave well enough alone or make things properly designed to maximizes the way people innately want to work and work best.

Stick them in front of a logical, well documented, well thought out interface and things will be vastly different.

On the other hand give these young folks a bare metal, in parts electronic device, and tell them to assemble it, compile an OS for it and get it loaded up then make themselves a GUI as they like and...........

I know how to use planter's stakes and do use them on some of our very small fields, 10-30 acres that are irregular.
I think we might be talking about two different kinds?
The planter stakes I'm talking about you hooked the wire to them an as the planter got to the button (twisted wire in so setups) it tripped the planter an planted the seed. Most rows were 42" apart an most everyone set the trips at 42"" as well so the field could be cultivated both directions. The 42" came about as the average horse was 42" wide back then. These were used into the 50's but the planter was tractor pulled. Shortly there after it went to 24" rows, with drag planters. We thought it was a marvel to have a 2 row planter, until we bought our first 4, then 6, then 8 row machines. As kids keeping up with a two row was not bad, but in the larger field were you could not make a round w/o filling up twice the 2 row was a bitch. Then the 4's an larger came but by then we were using mini bikes to run from one reload wagon to the other. The fun quickly went away on the hot days in 200 acre or larger patches.

Didn't have a mini-bike, had a truck with auger.
I think we have both been down pretty much the same rows.

We used the twisted wire on our small irrigation fields many years ago, then got smart.

Still do some pretty Rednecked shit. and it works. Regards, FM

As near as I can tell "common core", "new math", is nothing new. It used to be called "base 10" and I intuitively used it from a very young age without being taught. In the days before calculators, it was especially useful. I really discovered its usefulness in the Army, especially for "Fire Direction" missions. Common core, new math makes it all fancy and a little confusing by putting it in the form of charts or grids. It simply works like this:
35 x 12
35 x 12 is the same as 35 x10 plus 35 x 2
Everyone should quickly be able to calculate 35 x 10 equals 350
Of course two times 35 is simply 70 this should be easier the older you get just from the practice of making change from a dolllar...of course this is a skill that may be diminishing but used to be common.
so everyone should be able to add 350 plus 70 in their head. I break it down to 350 plus 70 is the same as 350 plus 50 plus 20. 350 plus 50 gives me 400 and another 20 is 420. with a little practice you can look at 35 x 12 and almost instictively calculate 420.

Reactions: EddieNFL
I know how to use planter's stakes and do use them on some of our very small fields, 10-30 acres that are irregular. However, GPS is a Godsend for working larger fields, 40 to 320 acres as it steers the tractor when the dust is rolling around and you are going downwind and can't see shit and get to the end of the field and it alerts you that it is time to turn around and you find that you just plowed a line that is straight as a string and didn't overlap or get out of line, then hit the reset and do it again.
I was slow to get onto this tech knowledge but would not be without it now. Had a good teacher that showed me how it works. He made it simple and easy. Mark N.

Cell Phones, Fuck, I can't explain how hard it has been for me to learn all of this bullshit. I retired my flip phone about 2 months ago as they no longer work in my area. Now I have a "smart" phone that pisses me off to no end but I am getting better at it.
My Squaw and my Kids would try to show me how to do it and I would get pissed as they went "flick, flick, run up, poke this button flick again and poke that," and on and on with a pissed off Old Hippie asking them how they got there with all of this "flick, flick"shit and expect me to understand it?

I took my new phone down to my neighbor's house and asked him about it.

He was very kind and showed me exactly, step by step, how to do it without all of this "flick flick" shit and I am now somewhat good to go but still learning.

I think it all boils down as to how good of a "teacher" you have and they go slow so "The OLD Dog learns NEW Tricks." Bless you Mark N. FM

I still ain't posting pictures but I might learn how to???

Ever use one of these?

Plow.jpg

Good delt workout.

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
As near as I can tell "common core", "new math", is nothing new. It used to be called "base 10" and I intuitively used it from a very young age without being taught. In the days before calculators, it was especially useful. I really discovered its usefulness in the Army, especially for "Fire Direction" missions. Common core, new math makes it all fancy and a little confusing by putting it in the form of charts or grids. It simply works like this:
35 x 12
35 x 12 is the same as 35 x10 plus 35 x 2
Everyone should quickly be able to calculate 35 x 10 equals 350
Of course two times 35 is simply 70 this should be easier the older you get just from the practice of making change from a dolllar...of course this is a skill that may be diminishing but used to be common.
so everyone should be able to add 350 plus 70 in their head. I break it down to 350 plus 70 is the same as 350 plus 50 plus 20. 350 plus 50 gives me 400 and another 20 is 420. with a little practice you can look at 35 x 12 and almost instictively calculate 420.

Ditto...and didn't need a chalk board.

Eddie, have one in the garden, not quite as modern.

Just a pix I found on the net. The one I used was my grandfather's. Would have to be over a century old by now. Think I was 11 or 12 when my dad decided I was big enough to cut the furrows for our garden. I remember I could hardly raise my arms the next day.

I also remember my dad mentioning something about the shortest distance between two points...