• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New Pistol Advice

GreatTikiMan

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2009
New User to the site:

I would like some advice on picking up my first personal side arm. I have only ever shot military service pistols in the Navy, so that is the sort of thing I am looking to try and purchase. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks
GreatTikiMan

Re: New Pistol Advice

You'll end up buying some sort of automatic -- especially since you asked about "pistols", but if you haven't shot handguns in years and consider yourself a beginner, I would start with a revolver first. I would suggest a .357 magnum like a Ruger GP100. You can build your skills firing light recoiling .38's. You will learn trigger control with the DA trigger, and can also practice precision shooting in SA. You will also have a nearly indestructible gun that is more reliable than just about any automatic, and a proven round like the .357.

That said, autos are certainly more tacticool, and that's what you'll end up with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a Springfield Armory 1911 </div></div>

+1

The GP100 can be had for $450 to $550 and is an excellent choice. A buddy has one of those with a 4" barrel and I love it. Having said that I think Cartman is right that you want a pistol. Look into the FN 45 USG, Springfield XD, or as others have also said, A springfield 1911. Although the 1911's can get very high in price, their GI model can be had for around $500 and the mil-spec for closer to $650. I think the Ruger GP100 would be more fun to shoot and the ammo is more readily available, but the pistols might be more practical if you wanted to concealed carry. Cheapest semi-auto that is also good that I know of is the Ruger P95. Retails for about $350 new and is very reliable. Do your research as to your specific needs and go to a gun shop and handle everything they have. Don't ignore revolvers, they are bad ass once you get over the "old school" attitude. (Not trying to say you do, but just sayin it in case you do.)

Matthew

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatTikiMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a recommendation for someone on a budget? </div></div>
CZ 75
Sig 226
or some 1911 from Springfield Armory