• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New power case trimmer WFT....

Will Fennell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Guys,
This may have been discussed here before, but I wanted to relate my experience with the W.F.T.(Worlds Finest Trimmer) from Little Crow Gunworks. This is a cartridge specific trimmer that uses your simple electric drill for power. I now have one for each of the rifle cartridges that I load in volume...308, 260, and 6.8spc. It works great for all 3, and greatly simplifies my reloading process.

I have used the RCBS power trimmer for years, and various hand crank models before that....and I never was pleased with obviously the speed, and also with how the trimmer held the brass. This new trimmer makes sooo much more sense with regards to how it indexes the case.

WFT

The website is kinda spartan, but there are a couple of videos that show the trimmer in action.

The trimmer is $69.95, so it might not make sense if you needed to trim 20 different chamberings, but for things like 308, or 223 that maybe your "main cartridge", it certainly makes sense for me...anyone else here using one?

Re: New power case trimmer WFT....

I converted my Lyman universal trimmer to work with my drill, but seeing that in action it seems like a much better solution. How do you set trim length, and does it chamfer as well?

I am also interested in hearing more about the WFT. Seems to be a precise trimmer though cheaper than going the Giraud route. I don't believe it chamfers or deburres the case mouth correct?

WFT only trims no deburring, it indexes off the shoulder.

I got one for my 243. Setup is simple and straight forward.

I did 230 cases in no time at all. Chucked the trimmer in my drill press and turned it on the lowest speed. It will trim as fast as you can stick the case in there. Then I put the chamfer tool in the drill and run them all through again. Then they all go into the tumbler with the stainless to get the lube and brass chips off before priming and loading.

It would really suck to do that many pieces of brass on a manual trimmer.

Your telling me, I have 450 to go, out of a 550 lot. Been working with a Hornady hand trimmer. It pure sucks! I need me something, and this might be it. I was looking at them before this post. What about the one from Possom Hollow? I think I like how this one clears the shaved brass out better.

I've got an RCBS hand trimmer and it is a lot faster with a 1/2" drill chucked to the shaft (after removing the handle, of course). Putting the case in the holder and taking it out is still the slow part. I've got about 800 .308 cases to go and wanted a WFT, but haven't had any luck getting anyone on the phone at Little Crow.

I emailed and got a quick reply.
They have 300 blackout and 6.5 grendel trimmers

I'm currently using an RCBS and have been somewhat dismayed that it trims the necks slightly out of true.

So, my question is this, with all the different chamber tolerances out there for a given caliber (SAAMI, tight-SAAMI, worn reamer, Match), how well does your brass center in the guide? In other words can you rock the brass from side-to-side (off axis), thereby inducing out of square cuts on the neck mouth?

Except for that one concern, it looks like a very good product.

John

John,

it indexes off the shoulder angle, not necessarily the body. I can rock the case a degree or 2 if I make an effort to, but I have to back off the pressure to do it. I wouldn't be concerned about off center cuts, one degree across the face of a 243 case would barely be measurable and I certainly don't shoot well enough to see it down range.

I got mine from creedmoor sports. They have most of them in stock.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like an intelligent approach to a tedious job. I have to trim my brass every firing and it gets really old, especially when I know it's not being done right. I'll have to give one of these a whirl.

John

Finally got aholt of Dale at Little Crow a few minutes ago and got a WFT on the way. Seems like a super nice guy (for a yankee, that is)...

Was just coming here to ask about this trimmer. I had read the articles on the net and watched videos and it looked great. Think I'll invest in these units.

After watching the videos on their site, I ordered a WFT for .308. I just ordered it, so it should be here by the end of this week. After using the Lee hand trimmers (not the zip trim) for 100 308 cases and feeling like my fingers were gonna fall off, I decided I need to get something else.

I have a Dillon 1200 that I use for .223 and thought about just buying the die for .308, but I wanted to try the WFT. When I get it, I should have time to do some cases and check them out. I will report back my findings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aojones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like it's worth checking out, the Giraud and Gracy are so damn expensive. </div></div>

Yes a Giraud is expensive compared to other trimmers, but I can trim/deburr in/ out a case every 3-5 seconds, it's one of those tools that once you get one you think why did I wait so long to buy it.

I have the WFT in the 308 class, works good on full lenght resized brass, will not work on neck sized cases. Still a good trimmer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Makes me wish I didn't have a 260AI. </div></div>

Because you hardly ever have to trim the necks on your 260AI?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aojones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like it's worth checking out, the Giraud and Gracy are so damn expensive. </div></div>

Yes a Giraud is expensive compared to other trimmers, but I can trim/deburr in/ out a case every 3-5 seconds, it's one of those tools that once you get one you think why did I wait so long to buy it. </div></div>

No doubt about that!

interesting, I was ready to purchase the giruad trimmer. I wounder how this would work on a drill press. only real problem is I then would have to take my cases out to the garage to trim then back inside to finish them out. not that big of a deal.

seems like this could be designed to work like a giruad so it could do all three processed but be ran by a drill instead of a motor??????

I got my WFT this AM and did a couple of hundred .308s this PM. I can trim a hundred cases in about six minutes. It deburrs, but does not champher. On a Lyman case processor, champher takes about another six minutes. I found it helps to rock the case around so as to trim evenly, then twist at the end to deburr. Those of you who don't have gorilla hands may find that an unused disposable rubber exam glove helps you not have to grip the case so tightly...

I forgot to mention that I was using a drill press instead of a hand drill. Much faster with both hands.

I got mine for .308 today, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's smaller than I thought. I am going to try it for a little bit to see if I want to drop the coin for a Giraud.

Check out the trimmer from Possum Hollow. Same idea, less $$$.
Good reviews. Order one, will post results.

Question for those that own the WFT.

What sort of length variation do you get? Case length variation maximum to minimum length that is?

+- 0.003??

For those using a drill press.
Does the a heavy hand change the cut length much?

Thanks in advance!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ostrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the trimmer from Possum Hollow. Same idea, less $$$.
Good reviews. Order one, will post results. </div></div>

I looked over at Midway and the reviews show 0.004 thou length run-out..If that matters to you.

I used to use a Possum Hollow before getting my Gracey and in a hand drill it worked pretty well. Never had any run out problems. Not sure how the trimmer would even cause run out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to use a Possum Hollow before getting my Gracey and in a hand drill it worked pretty well. Never had any run out problems. Not sure how the trimmer would even cause run out. </div></div>
How much runout did you get or are you saying zero?

I trimmed after sizing and the amount of run out after trimming wasn't anymore than when starting. My runout from sizing was never more than about .001" using my bushing neck sizing dies.

Just got a reply from Eric at Possum Hollow Products...On a Saturday yet!
Don't know about you guys, but this speaks volumes to me about customer service.

I'm going to try a couple.

<span style="color: #000099">

Date: <span style="font-weight: bold">Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:49:40 -0800</span>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Case trimmer question

Hi,

A quick specification question regarding your case trimmer.
What sort of maximum length variation can I expect with your trimmer?

Thanks so much!

Jamie

Sent: <span style="font-weight: bold">February-25-12 1:06 PM</span>
To: ------------
Subject: Re: Case trimmer question

Jamie if you trim your cases before you size maybe .001" but it should be dead nuts on.
Thanks eric
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Thank you for the quick reply Eric!
Cheers!

</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I trimmed after sizing and the amount of run out after trimming wasn't anymore than when starting. My runout from sizing was never more than about .001" using my bushing neck sizing dies. </div></div>

Thanks Rob

Sorry for all the posts, but the more I dig the more I like!
smile.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rHm13PF6o-o&feature=youtu.be"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rHm13PF6o-o&feature=youtu.be" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Interesting!!
smile.gif

No problem. It's really a good little tool. I used a hand drill as I found it easier to use than a drill press.

Hmmm, sounds promising. I'm using a RCBS trimmer right now but it can be pretty slow if you want good accuracy with your trim. At the same time, I am trimming a bunch of range brass and taking a bunch of off the longer necks.

I got my WFT in 308WIN and gave it a try tonight. First thing I did was try to set it using a case I knew was already trimmed to length by my previous method, just to get it close. Put the case in, adjusted the bit and re-tightened. Not too bad. Next, I lined up some WIN 08 NATO cases to try. Chucked it into my $30 Black and Decker Drill (from college days) and gave it a whirl.

First case, I had no idea what it woul dbe like, so I just followed the directions and put a case in. Didn;t hold tight enough or went to fast and the case wrenched from my fingers. Had this a few times until about the 8th or 9th case. After that, I got the feel for it and went a good bit with the next 10.

Using a case that was 2.005" to set the bit, I checked out the newly trimmed cases. Varied from 2.003" to 2.005". None were longer than that. Could be I pressed the bit into the check case too hard and set it too low.

Either way, there is some spring to the bearings, so you have to get a feel for how much you need to push the case into the trimmer. Also, the body & blade throws chips everywhere, so wear safety glasses when using this. Construction is very stout.

Right now, I say this trimmer performs as designed and expected. Would be nice if they incorporated the 3-way cutter into the design. I don't think it would have added to the cost that much, but I am not a machinist. If anyone can retrofit a Giraud blade and bit into this trimmer body, that would be ideal.

I am going to keep paying with it to see if I want to get a Giraud or buy another WFT in .223.

Overall, would recommend for someone who needs a good, quick trimmer that is caliber specific (high volume shooters in one caliber).

Thanks PKT1106,

I'm going to try setting mine up in a drill press when it shows up.
I'm thinking I might be able to get a better/more consistent feel on the press than trying to do it by hand with a cordless drill...We will see I guess.

Did you cut fire formed brass or do it after sizing?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks PKT1106,

I'm going to try setting mine up in a drill press when it shows up.
I'm thinking I might be able to get a better/more consistent feel on the press than trying to do it by hand with a cordless drill...We will see I guess.

Did you cut fire formed brass or do it after sizing?

Thanks! </div></div>

All of my cases are fully resized then trimmed. I don'think I am going to try to trim fire-formed cases that are neck sized only. The directions advise against this as well.

That's strange?

The owner emailed me (pasted it a few posts above) when I asked about the accuracy runout of his trimmer. He replied, "<span style="color: #000099">if you trim your cases before you size maybe .001" but it should be dead nuts</span>".

I assumed he meant sizing would introduce OAL length variation?
I'm confused?

I have A WTF in 308 and found that the biggest problem was getting it set up to trim to 2.005. Once set it has been great, but it was a PITA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for all the posts, but the more I dig the more I like!
smile.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rHm13PF6o-o&feature=youtu.be"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rHm13PF6o-o&feature=youtu.be" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Interesting!!
smile.gif

</div></div>

I use this system for my .223 brass, I tried it with my .308 brass and it did not work very well. I chuck the adapter in my drill and I can trim several hundred cases pretty fast. The .223 brass length with vary .002 in length. It is good cheap system if you do not care about getting the exact same length. It will cut at the length you want or under.

Those systems, like the more expensive Gracey and Giraurd, will size based off of the shoulder so if your dies aren't set up to size each case the same and your shoulders are off then you will get differences in length. Luckily a couple thousandths won't hurt accuracy.

As I said, I tried the drill press and it was a pain in the ass compared to just laying a cordless drill across my leg and pushing the brass in. In the time it took the guy in the video to do one case I could have done 3.

I agree with Rob01, the WTF trimmer is much faster, but you do have to have the case shoulder all set at the same length for consistency. I use an cordless drill also.

I had a couple of hide members mention this thread and thought I'd chime in. I usually avoid posting because I would hate to violate any rules on advertising and self-promotion. If you have any questions on the WFT I'll do my best to answer them. Please do not ask me to compare my product to others or ask me questions that would require a disertation because I'm not much of a keyboarder.

When I built the first WFT I had no intentions of going into production, but after test driving the first prototype I was sure there were other handloaders out there that would appreciate my trimmer. The WFT is designed for shooters who load large quantities of ammo for specific cartridges. Basically if you load buckets of 223's and 308's the WFT will serve you well. If you also load a box or two of 270's or 300 Savages a year you may not want to throw away your crank trimmer.

The one common theme on the threads is that everyone hates trimming brass. The positive feedback we've received the past few months has been very humbling and please let me say thank you to all shooters who have mentioned our product in their posts.

LittleCrow,

Thanks for showing up here. There's nothing like manufacturers information over anecdotal. Sorry, I'm an ex-engineer, so most peoples casual observations carry very little weight with me.

There has been mention of constraints on what will work.... FL sized/not neck sized etc... can you clarify/confirm/expound upon what condition the brass must be in to use your product and what will NOT work? And whether or not different size fired brass from different chambers will fit the trimmer different and could result in angled case mouths?