• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New prefit barrel?

blakem

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2021
FL
Hello, I am new to the forum and new to precision shooting but not new to shooting in general. I have a savage axis in 308 that I put in an MDT LSS chassis. I was hoping to put together something that would be capable of < 1 moa accuracy, ideally 0.5 moa, and be able to accurately hit targets at maybe 600 yards but would like to go out further if possible.

So have I made a mistake by going with the Savage Axis as the base to my starter precision rifle since the Axis is one of the more inexpensive actions available?

Would a prefit barrel from Criterion or X-Caliber greatly improve the accuracy over the factory barrel?

If so, would a heavy contour between 0.8" to 0.9" and maybe 24" to 26" in length be good? The unloaded rifle is 12 lbs as it sits.

Also I have a 0 MOA rail, but should I get a 20 MOA rail to reach my distance goals? Right now, with my current 100 yard zero, I only have 13.5 MOA of elevation adjustment. I think that should get me to 500 yards with 308 but would need to use the reticle for any more elevation adjustment.

Savage Axis 308 22"
2.5lb trigger mod
MDT LSS Chassis
Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50
Atlas CAL bipod
Atlas monopod

Attachments

• 20210723_035525.jpg
    20210723_035525.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 67
As far as accuracy goes there is nothing inherently wrong with an Axis action, it just feels like a dump truck when working the bolt. Many cheap, modern rifles can be quite accurate...how does it currently shoot?

I have used both Criterion and X-Cal barrels and they have been excellent. They both easily shoot under 1/2 moa with good loads, foul much less than a OEM Savage barrel, and are way easier to clean. And if you want to upgrade the base rifle later you can move the barrel to a lot of custom actions.

You should be able to dial up 500ish yards with your remaining elevation adjustment. Download Strelok, or some other ballistic app, and play around with it.

A lot of shooters, myself included, started with a Savage bolt gun. They can be quite accurate out of the box, but the action can leave a lot to be desired in terms of smoothness. Before you do anything else - how does it shoot now? If it shoots 1 MOA or less, then just shoot it. Learn the fundamentals, practice, and shoot some matches. Shooting a 308 will teach you windage. You'll start to gain enough experience and get to see and try other actions/rifles to trust the preferences you develop.

If you decide to replace the barrel, talk to Northland Shooters Supply, they'll help you pick a good barrel you can install yourself. Consider moving to a 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor, ballistically they will give you a competitive edge over a 308 and will feed reliably in your Savage action/mag.

Reactions: blakem
It’s unusual but I suppose everyone is being nice because your new, lol. Great bunch of guys here but we can be a little rough around the edges. Please don’t take this wrong. Your rifle is fine but you’ve probably already spent too much trying to improve it. A new barrel might get a little more out of it but not enough for what you’ll spend. Like the other guys said, shoot it like it is. Buy a custom action instead of the barrel and every so often buy the next piece until you have everything for your custom rig. Otherwise it’s easy to get caught up putting dresses and wigs and lipstick on pigs. Yes they look better but they’re still a pig just all dolled up with a fancy dress and makeup.

Reactions: blakem
I sorta agree with that but it also comes down to budget and interest.

If you actually have the means to buy and build another “nice” rifle and would actually consider it then by all means do that instead.

But if you are only semi interested and not sure you want something nice then I’d shoot it as is and get a prefit if it’s not as good as you like before jumping all the way in.

My cousin bought the parts and we built a new fancy custom rifle to be like the rest of our family that competes and he never uses it. Well, he’s shot it once. Makes me sorta sick that he dumped that much money on something at our behest because he though it was sorta cool looking and mildly curious about that he’s actually not all that interested in after all.
So in his case I’d rather he just have rebarreled his factory starter plinker rifle he already had and been done with it for thousands worth in parts cheaper. No doubt it’s a bad ass rifle; it just doesn’t, and likely won’t, get used.

Me? I rebarrel every damn thing I get because I’m crazy over the hobby from a ruger americans to custom actions and I want to see what they can all do. I sell some off now and again when I feel I’ve gotten to know what I want about the system and lose money on it all but I’m cool with that because the tinkering makes me happy.

So… it depends. The axis is a pretty fine cheap ass rifle. It’s not gonna win you any awards though.

Last edited:
Reactions: blakem and ShtrRdy
Thank you all for the comments. I know I was asking for opinions so no offense taken. I guess it sounds like what I was expecting to hear. I probably should have had a better plan and built off a better platform. Such is life I guess. I started off with just the basic cheap rifle with the intent to use it as is, but then I got carried away I guess. My ultimate goal at the moment is really to just have fun. I know it will be exciting when I am able to consistently reach out to targets at long distances.

I feel somewhat better that celltech said there is nothing inherently wrong with action. I was not sure if the loose tolerances of the bolt fit would affect accuracy. The bolt is indeed quite loose, but I am guessing, since it is a basic field rifle, some of the slop is to allow it to operate even if it gets dirty.

So I think I will take the advice of shooting it as is for now. I may also just order a prefit since it does sound like it will provide some performance improvements. Also it looks like the prefits can have a 6 month lead time so I may put in an order sooner than later. Building another rifle isn't going to be an option right now. Down the road though I could see building a long action rifle with a bigger cartridge if I maintain the interest in it. As it was said, I also have the option to get a 6.5CM barrel down the road to swap out with the 308win if I want the superior ballistics.

I have an Axis that I put a Criterion 243 prefit on with a Boyd’s stock. It’ll definitely do Sub MOA. Shoots real good for a budget rifle.

Thank you all for the comments. I know I was asking for opinions so no offense taken. I guess it sounds like what I was expecting to hear. I probably should have had a better plan and built off a better platform. Such is life I guess. I started off with just the basic cheap rifle with the intent to use it as is, but then I got carried away I guess. My ultimate goal at the moment is really to just have fun. I know it will be exciting when I am able to consistently reach out to targets at long distances.

I feel somewhat better that celltech said there is nothing inherently wrong with action. I was not sure if the loose tolerances of the bolt fit would affect accuracy. The bolt is indeed quite loose, but I am guessing, since it is a basic field rifle, some of the slop is to allow it to operate even if it gets dirty.

So I think I will take the advice of shooting it as is for now. I may also just order a prefit since it does sound like it will provide some performance improvements. Also it looks like the prefits can have a 6 month lead time so I may put in an order sooner than later. Building another rifle isn't going to be an option right now. Down the road though I could see building a long action rifle with a bigger cartridge if I maintain the interest in it. As it was said, I also have the option to get a 6.5CM barrel down the road to swap out with the 308win if I want the superior ballistics.
If you plan to keep it then you can’t go wrong picking up another barrel. I shouldn’t say anything about buying dresses for pigs. I recently replaced the barrel on a Remington adl that I bought in the late 80s. It shoots better than ever too. A person doesn’t need to spend a bunch of money to do this stuff. I get as much or more enjoyment out my old remy as I do anything else I have. I’m sure there’s other people that would agree.
I’m not sure where you’ve looked for barrels but you wanna get your order in sooner than later. Welcome aboard and happy shooting

I went back to see what barrels you were interested in and re read your post. NSs Criterion Pre-fit barrels are awesome. I don’t see any reason it shouldn’t shoot around 1/2 moa like you want it to. How do they say it , “ if you do your part”? I’d get the scope and other accessories too because they’ll definitely help and they can be used on anything else you buy in the future.

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to precision shooting but not new to shooting in general. I have a savage axis in 308 that I put in an MDT LSS chassis. I was hoping to put together something that would be capable of < 1 moa accuracy, ideally 0.5 moa, and be able to accurately hit targets at maybe 600 yards but would like to go out further if possible.

So have I made a mistake by going with the Savage Axis as the base to my starter precision rifle since the Axis is one of the more inexpensive actions available?

Would a prefit barrel from Criterion or X-Caliber greatly improve the accuracy over the factory barrel?

If so, would a heavy contour between 0.8" to 0.9" and maybe 24" to 26" in length be good? The unloaded rifle is 12 lbs as it sits.

Also I have a 0 MOA rail, but should I get a 20 MOA rail to reach my distance goals? Right now, with my current 100 yard zero, I only have 13.5 MOA of elevation adjustment. I think that should get me to 500 yards with 308 but would need to use the reticle for any more elevation adjustment.

Savage Axis 308 22"
2.5lb trigger mod
MDT LSS Chassis
Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50
Atlas CAL bipod
Atlas monopod

Shoot what you got. that’s a great rifle
To learn one. Many a folks came up on 308’s. This is the way.

And yes, I would recommend getting a 20moa scope base.

Criterion barrels are awesome. They hold there own to other cut rifle barrels in my experience. I like them so much I buy the blanks now and have barrels spun up along with there prefits they just hammer.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
The axis trigger can be quite horrendous, i would get a Timney upgrade and a muzzle brake installed, that will make it easier to spot your rounds and dope out your rifle properly.

Savage Axis 308 22"
2.5lb trigger mod
MDT LSS Chassis
Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50
Atlas CAL bipod
Atlas monopod
Listen, Savage Axis II SA can be improved upon dramatically. The trigger pull weight can come down to a pound and be accomplished safely. Bolt lift can be dramatically improved as well. I have 6.5, .308 and .223 AXIS II all HVY barrel rifles. Every darn one fits in the MDT GEN II Chassis and all have been modified for less than $85 to improve pull weight, bolt lift and trigger side to side wobble. I have 1 chassis, and 3 SA rifles and they all will put 1" or less 5 shot groups @ 500 yards. The .308 is a 1:10 twist, fluted Hvy Savage barrel. She loves BT 155- 185 gr bullets, factory ammo. Federal premium 185 gr, Hornady ELDX and match king, all are badass.

@750 yards 3" groups on a calm day, windy 4-6". My buddy hand loads rounds for me and @ 750 yards it competes very well with a 6.5 CR. The bullets todays high BCs are insane, hand load and you have a badass precision accuracy for $400 bucks.

People take off 110 TAC barrels and spend 350-800 bucks and sell these HVY factory barrels, for pocket change barely used if at all.

I have HMR Bergara rifles in 6.5 and 22-250. 2k+ in cost, < they collect dust! Their action is still better than my AXIS II rifles but not by much. But my AXIS II rifles shoot more accurately with much more factory ammo varieties then my picky Bergara rifles. All my buddies have exspensive rifles, after embarrassing them over and over again they all now have mirrored what I have done, with Savage/Rugers. I have 1 vortex Viper Gen II PST FFP used ($550) and it is used on all 3 rifles. Swap rifle into chassis and zero in 15 minutes. One hardcase carries 3 rifles, 1 chassis and 1 scope, heavy but on wheels, LOL.

1. Sig 77 gr
2. Norma 77 gr

6.5 CR
1. ELD & X
2. Norma 143 Match
3. any match grade

1. hand load 185 gr
2. Fed Prem 185 gr
3. Anything match king BT

Buy a Ruger Ranch in 5.56, change trigger spring, buy Barnes 85 gr rounds and Sig 77 gr in 5.56. Amazing little precision rifle. I may buy a 20" barrel for it to play @ 750 yards, honestly I was astonished with it's insane accuracy for a truck gun I needed.

GL