• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Premier Bad Boy. is Painted!

Sniper6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2006
Elko, Nevada
My new Premier 3-15X50 Gen-X2 Double Turn scope showed up from Liberty Optics couple of days ago.
This thing is awesome, it is hard to find words to best describe how nice and well built this scope is.

See when I first got into shooting I couldn’t even dream of being able to afford something like this .
I started out with Bushnell, Tasco, and BSA. It was normal for me to have reticles turn inside the scope, fog up or fill with water when it rained or have to re-sight in my scope after it got bumped around a little. I was tough on scopes and they didn’t hold up well. Some lasted a week and some made it a couple of years.
I was hard pressed when I bought my first Super Sniper but it was well worth it because it taught me you didn’t need to re-sight in your scope every couple of times you used it. I still have that SS and will continue to abuse it to the end.
Over the last 12 years I have either owned or used BSA, Tasco, Bushnell, Barska, Sightron, NC-Star , Weaver, Swift , Simons, Super Sniper, Burris XTR , Leupold VX3 - MK4 , XOTIC, USO-ST10 , NXS 5.5-22 and a NF 8-32 target scope.
Although some of these are really good scopes, I have a new favorite. Guys I have never in my life used or owned a scope of this caliber. This Premier is the new king for me.
DSCN3260.jpg

First thing when I opened the box up I was amazed at how big the Knobs and tube area by the knobs is.
It feels and sounds very solid when I was knocking on the housing .
The flip caps that come with it are very well built, You need to know they are bulky around the lip area and you may need slightly higher rings to use them. My rings barley work with these flip ups.
DSCN3268.jpg

All of the markings on this scope are very well marked, the color of the marks seems easy to see.
I like the DT knob , all the clicks are represented by a hash mark.
DSCN3261.jpg

When I turned the Elevation knob I herd nine very loud clicks followed by a louder SNAP on the tenth mark.
This is the clunk I have read about. It sounds to me like a SNAP, Tick - - - - - - - - SNAP ect. Very nice, I can feel and hear it well. On the second turn of the elevation a little button pops out at the bottom of the turret housing to let you know you are on the second turn.
DSCN3267.jpg

Windage clicks are not quite as loud but have the same tick/snap sound to it.
Both knobs have a cam lock levers on them. You cant undo them with your fingers, it takes the recommended cartridge case or something similar.

When I looked through this scope I was amazed at how clear and crisp the glass was.
I have really liked the glass in my XOTIC but this beats that hands down.
I was worried about the reticle being too thick. Not a problem, this reticle is beautiful , very fine, easy for me to see. Down on 3X the reticle is too fine for me to really see the dots and hash marks but up on 15X there is no problem, its Perfect. I usually don’t use illumination much but it is nice to have, it looks good in this scope with the fine reticle. I really like how the illumination knob slides out to turn it on.

I mounted it on my newest 300WSM project. Specs are as follows.
Remington 700 action.
over sized bolt knob.
Shilien match 22” barrel encased in carbon fiber.
Badger M40 rings.
IOR 20 moa base.
Rifle Basix trigger set to 1 lb.
Speedlock firing pin.
USO -ACI
Nightforce ADI
Harris notched bipod.
B&C stock. I have done some work to.
Premier 3-15X50 Gen X2
DSCN3263.jpg

I had some help from a couple of people here developing the load for this gun.
208gr AMAX , Winchester brass, CCI BR2 primers with IMR 4831.

I tried CCI magnum primers with 65 gr powder @ 2859 fps AV and the bolt was hard to open. So I switched to CCI BR2 primers and the same powder, @ 2883 fps AV. I don’t get it but the bullets choreographed slightly faster but the bolt was not hard to open ?
It didn’t take long to zero this scope, 9 shots and I was shooting the best groups this 300 has ever shot.

After zeroing the scope with the nifty little cams I started shooting groups at 100yds.
My first 4 shots were so close together .610” I decided I better get a picture before I got too exited and blew it all to hell. Yep the 5th put it over 1.2” because of ME.
DSCN3248.jpg

I settled down and shot a 100yd 5 shot group that was .682” center to center.
That is 5 in there!
DSCN3249.jpg

I was really enjoying shooting with this scope, my target was very clear and it seemed easy to hit the diamond out of my target. In closing, I absolutely love this scope. If you get a chance to try one do it!

Now I need to add a coat of Krylon to it just for some touch up.
grin.gif

There is only 1 problem with getting this scope, I want another one now!
Scott at Liberty optics was awsom to deal with on this scope and I would recommend that you contact him first if you want one. Scott hooked me up with a great deal. I wouldn’t even care if it were the original $2800 MSRP, I would try to get another one now.
DSCN3262.jpg

Re: My new Premier Bad Boy. pics!

Awesome scope! Can you post a pic of the reticle? I am curious about Premier, since I have an S&B that has the Gen 2 XL reticle in it, and I love it. Now that Premier is doing their own thing, I've been thinking about selling my S&B and getting a Premier scope.... you're selling me on one, I gotta say.

Re: My new Premier Bad Boy. pics!!!

This is a pic through my scope at some Sage brush about 200yds away. Not a lot of help but hope it gives you an idea of how fine it is.
I have never used a S&B .
DSCN3265.jpg

This is not my scope but a very exploded picture of the reticle I have saved that some one took.
G2XR.jpg

Sniper,

Was talking with Scott and he mentioned how happy you are. Any time you care to wander to the south would love to put eyes on it.

Off topic a bit. You have CF on the Barrel? would love to hear the whys and where of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sniper,

Was talking with Scott and he mentioned how happy you are. Any time you care to wander to the south would love to put eyes on it.

Off topic a bit. You have CF on the Barrel? would love to hear the whys and where of that. </div></div>

Thanks,<span style="font-weight: bold">Chiller </span>
I have read a lot of hype about the Carbon fiber , most of it is probably just that. honestly I did it more for looks and just to see how I like it.
I have herd people talk bad about it and people swear by it. It is an experiment to me.

I need to call it a night.
When I get it painted up I will post some more pics for all of you to see.

I am thinking I am going to paint everything but the barrel and see how I like it.
I should paint the whole thing.
confused.gif

I like the look of it however, I saw one laying next to a Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 M2 and the Premier 3-15X50 was a hog in size. I am not sure I would want that big of a scope. I hope they come out with a 3-10x40 and make it more compact. I am able to shoot easily out to 1200yds with my Leupold MK4's. I wonder what there plans are for a smaller one. Do you know what the warranty is like?

Great writeup and thank you for the reticle pics!
They offer a great 'real time' representation of the XR reticle in the field.
I opted for the 'bigger' GenII and think I'll be happier with it for my type of shooting needs...

Enjoy your new scope!
Love that stick too...

Sniper6,

Wicked looking setup and good shooting! Thanks for sharing your review and the great pics. You waited patiently for your scope and I'm glad it met expectations. We hope to make more folks happy next week!

Take care,

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sniper6,

Wicked looking setup and good shooting! Thanks for sharing your review and the great pics. You waited patiently for your scope and I'm glad it met expectations. We hope to make more folks happy next week!

Take care,

Scott

</div></div>

Ya, can't wait for mine!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my191145</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I like the look of it however, I saw one laying next to a Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 M2 and the Premier 3-15X50 was a hog in size. I am not sure I would want that big of a scope. I hope they come out with a 3-10x40 and make it more compact. I am able to shoot easily out to 1200yds with my Leupold MK4's. I wonder what there plans are for a smaller one. Do you know what the warranty is like? </div></div>

I dont know about smaller
grin.gif

The paper that comes with it says LIFETIME WARRANTY. No fine print or other crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he had to get the CF barrel to off set the weight of the scope!

just kidding,

Bad Ass Scope and nice stick.

kt

</div></div>

Nothing like a little bling for compensation, Right!
grin.gif

Thanks for all the great comments guys.
I am prepping it for painting tonight so hopefully I will have some more cool pictures to show off to you tomorrow night or the next day.

How much duz that scope weigh?..... 5 pounds?

that is an awesome set-up and I guess I will live vicariously through these write-ups or quite some time until some of you guys get bored with yours and sell it at a lower price many years from now. I can only imagine, “honey, I found this scope I want, how much, well, about $2800.00. I wonder what she would say next. NO WAY!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much duz that scope weigh?..... 5 pounds? </div></div>

38 ounces, or 2 pounds, 6 ounces.

OR,

6 ounces more than a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50.

Scott

Lucky Bastard
Great Scope and Great Shooting. Jealous of the Scope...

Simply gorgeous. I cannot wait for mine to come in. Great review and good heads up on the front scope cap. I have a USO Shade/ARD going on anyways.

grin.gif
Finally got the rifle painted, I went a head and left the Carbon showing.
It sure is shiny, Might end up painting it after a while but I think it looks pretty good for now.
On the scope I tried to let the name peek through the cammo paint a little.
I am exited to get this thing out to the range again but My work says I need to be there for the next 15 days in a row
frown.gif
I threw in plenty of pics for you guys.

DSCN3313.jpg

DSCN3318.jpg

DSCN3321.jpg

DSCN3323.jpg

DSCN3316.jpg

DSCN3324.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simply gorgeous. I cannot wait for mine to come in. Great review and good heads up on the front scope cap. I have a USO Shade/ARD going on anyways. </div></div>

It will be worth it! If you are like me you will get a lot done while you are waiting.

Damn how much will you charge me to paint my stick

Sniper6 said:
" I went a head and left the Carbon showing.
It sure is shiny "

Sniper, easily dulled down without ruining the weave - look. Here in the UK, we can have our carbon fishing rods with a matt finish, its just a 2 part resin that you paint on, leave to cure in a dust free enviroment, job done in 24 hours, high quality carbon finish, in matt, quite a tough finish as well.

Just a thought ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn how much will you charge me to paint my stick </div></div>

Thanks for the complements, I don’t really feel comfortable painting other peoples rifles yet but I will be more than glad to tell you how I did this rifles paint.

1. First I tape up EVERYTHING you don’t want painted. Markings, Numbers, ect.
I use painters tape for the big stuff and duct tape for the smaller stuff and edges, The reason is the painters tape will absorb some of the paint in areas and it doesn’t look very good . Ductape does great around the edges of small numbers and makings, it makes a better line.

2. I cut some stencils out of poster board. This is with paper but it gives you an idea of what you need to do with the poster board.
I cut 3-10 stencils out depending on how elaborate I want to make the paint look.
I also gather some weeds and wild grass from my area that I use in the same way as the stencils.
DSCN3325.jpg

DSCN3326.jpg

3.With the rifle all taped up, I place it in an area I can work all the way around it, Like this!

DSCN3327.jpg

4. You will most likely need some latex gloves for the rest of this .
I Painted it with 2 colors, Just big blotches that color the whole rifle, nothing fancy.

5. I hold the stencils up to the rifle and spray a very light burst of cammo krylon in the area I want.
I use all the stencil shapes in different areas, It doesn’t matter if they criss cross each other several times.
The grass and weeds can be used in the same way but they don’t give as good of lines as the stencils do.
You will want to have mostly covered the rifle with the same color of the area you hunt or shoot in
It takes a while of playing around but it will look good and if needed practice on a piece of cardboard or wood.

After the sides are dry don’t forget to tip it up and spray the bottom the same way.

Hope this helps.

DSCN3328.jpg

Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Paint job looks great!

That is probably the best camo job I've seen. Very well done and incredible scope.

Great job! and the scope looks great in the camo. I love the picture that's head on... that scope is clear as day -- it looks like there's no glass in there, which goes to show how much light is transmitted through it.

Hey man ,
that's a very well done camo job, bravo !
PP out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popndrop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wicked set up!!! that takes a set of cojones to take a can of paint to a $3000 scope
smile.gif
good on ya! </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">LOL,</span>
laugh.gif
Thanks for all the great comments guys.
I have been fondling it every night after work.
grin.gif

If things go good I will be able to get out and shoot it tomorrow for a while.

Just go ahead and paint the barrel. You'll get over it in a day or so.

That's a nice rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popndrop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wicked set up!!! that takes a set of cojones to take a can of paint to a $3000 scope
smile.gif
good on ya!</div></div>

Serious set of huevos!

I stress out when I adjust the flip caps on my scope, and here this guy's shooting his scope with Krylon, making me feel like a pansy.

smile.gif