• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Prime 6.5 Creedmoor ammo

Ol' RD

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
Shelby County Alabama
First, I'll get the disclaimers outta the way. I am in no way affiliated with Prime Ammo nor Jim O'shaughnessy other than as a customer. I did give to Prime Ammo legal fund and have spoken several times with Jim. I am a Automation Engineer by profession and other than being OCD about my hand loads I don't classify myself as all that special.
FedEx delivered the case this evening and since I was going to the range anyway I figured what the heck, let's take the 6.5 out and see what this stuff will do?

58656888070__DBCF5C4C-5123-4F04-B141-2221009ADF34.JPG

The rifle is a pretty much stock 6.5 Creedmoor RPR 24" barrel with a Magpul PRS gen 3 stock, Vortex Razor Gen2 with EBR-2c reticle.
After watching Franks video I judged the prime 130 gr ammo flies about where my hand loads did so I didn't touch the scope at all.
Just loaded 4 into the magazine.

The first round I put on paper at 100 yards and had the lab radar on to give me FPS.

Here is the first shot

T+150JSASaOPkFyeMNo8wA.jpg
the lab radar gave me a 2830 FPS
58656924011__A38092D6-207C-4DA7-ACD2-4197CDFB5CC0.JPG

After seeing that I went to the farthest plate I have at our club. 517 yards.
I didn't dial the elevation I just came up 2.4 mils on the reticle and let shot 2,3 and 4 go.
here they are

58656989634__CC4D64A2-51C3-4738-829B-EF1CC07CECD2.JPG

The three shot group is roughly half MOA.
Not bad for an old guy with bad eyes.

Bravo Zulu to Jim O'shaughnessy and all the Prime Ammo employees.
This stuff rocks. Now get to work on the rest of the market. I would love some 308 but 223 has bigger market share.
I can wait.

That's awesome man. Thanks for sharing and great shooting.

Did you chronograph any more rounds. What kind of SD and ES did you get if you did?

Reactions: SonicBurlap
First, I'll get the disclaimers outta the way. I am in no way affiliated with Prime Ammo nor Jim O'shaughnessy other than as a customer. I did give to Prime Ammo legal fund and have spoken several times with Jim. I am a Automation Engineer by profession and other than being OCD about my hand loads I don't classify myself as all that special.
FedEx delivered the case this evening and since I was going to the range anyway I figured what the heck, let's take the 6.5 out and see what this stuff will do?

View attachment 7123626

The rifle is a pretty much stock 6.5 Creedmoor RPR 24" barrel with a Magpul PRS gen 3 stock, Vortex Razor Gen2 with EBR-2c reticle.
After watching Franks video I judged the prime 130 gr ammo flies about where my hand loads did so I didn't touch the scope at all.

The first round I put on paper at 100 yards and had the lab radar on to give me FPS.

Here is the first shot

View attachment 7123631
View attachment 7123636

I didn't dial the elevation I just came up 2.4 mils on the reticle and let shot 2,3 and 4 go.
here they are

View attachment 7123632

This stuff rocks. Now get to work on the rest of the market. I would love some 308 but 223 has bigger market share.
I can wait.
Saw primes post on IG about this.

View attachment 7123626

Here is the first shot

View attachment 7123631
View attachment 7123636

here they are

View attachment 7123632

I can wait.

Brock’s Gap looking nice! Glad Prime is back and even better then before.

Brock’s Gap looking nice! Glad Prime is back and even better then before.
Yeah we need more Steel on E. I wonder what we did with the steel that was in H range? Been a member out there a long time. I hated to lose H but understood only 50 of us had taken the time to get qualified to use it. Hoover sprawl is going to get us eventually. Some yahoo is going to complain about the noise and now that property is prime real estate.
My last trip to H I shot 5 shots. All at 730, 1 on the large IPSC then the next 4 on the reduced.

Sorry Brand?

Sorry, No I don’t! I have no interest in it honestly. The stuff shoots as advertised. I’m a reloader too. Key is, even if you have that info the probability that you can get the powder most manufacturers use is dang near impossible. Best you can do is crono the load and match the velocity with a premium bullet in the same weight. I know that’s not what you want to hear but I’m just stating facts.

The reason I say this is manufacturers don’t buy 8 pound jugs they buy 60 pound kegs or bigger IDK if they produce anything bigger than a 60 pounder. It cuts lot variations buying in bulk, they also can get blends that aren’t sold publicly.

He posted 2830 FPS out of a 24" RPR but it was only a single shot.
Guys, I apologize for the lack of data. Literally the range trip was spur of the moment with a buddy who was wanting to go. The ammo showed up as I was driving out the driveway. Frank had already done a review and I'm just a dude from Alabama. Yes, normally I'm anal retentive about data collection. As you can see in the first picture I opened the case at the bench. To be honest, I didn't think this post would get more than a look at. I'm just a boring ol' engineer. My next outing I will do full data collection.

Sorry, No I don’t! I have no interest in it honestly. The stuff shoots as advertised. I’m a reloader too. Key is, even if you have that info the probability that you can get the powder most manufacturers use is dang near impossible. Best you can do is crono the load and match the velocity with a premium bullet in the same weight. I know that’s not what you want to hear but I’m just stating facts.
Pretty sure he was asking about bullet, not powder.

The bullet is far more important as it is a major factor in ballistic calculation.

I ran Prime 6.5CM in a number of matches and I've always been impressed with their accuracy. It runs about 2870 in my 26" Bartlein barrel.

The "old" prime had the 130 Gr Norma Target I was told. I am not trying to replicate Prime? Just a curiosity question...

Yes, they are using 130GR SMK.

I'm sold on this new Prime. Shot a team sniper match at GTI this weekend and the ammo was a hammer. Used 6.5CM as primary and 308 as secondary. Had no problems hitting 6" targets out to 500 yard. Dope was solid both days with a 30 degree temperature swing.

Yes, they are using 130GR SMK.

I'm sold on this new Prime. Shot a team sniper match at GTI this weekend and the ammo was a hammer. Used 6.5CM as primary and 308 as secondary. Had no problems hitting 6" targets out to 500 yard. Dope was solid both days with a 30 degree temperature swing.

Does any one have the length on the new 130GR SMK?