• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New primers with limited shelf-life

ctam

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
I am not sure if it is internet urban-myth or not but I heard that the new primers had their mixture changed to a lead-free compound, with a shelf life of less than 2 years. The idea is to stop people from hoarding ammo.

Can anyone confirm whether this is BS or not?

Re: New primers with limited shelf-life

I would seriously doubt that seeing that Uncle Sugar uses ammo with Federal primers, and is the biggest ammo hoarder of all....

It was originally an idea floated in California. It was just an idea. Nobody has ever looked at how to do it or if it could really be done. It's BS.

the story surges about how some/or a leadfree priming compound does not approach the ability of the older style corrosive primers to batter up in extreme cold & have extremely long life. I've no doubt that even the 70's era short russian 7.62x39 will be joyfully heating up barrels 2040 to 2060 even. I have two batches,one is factory tinned up and same type opened already but stored open air and some exposed & put in G.I. can w/o o2 scrubbers placed within. will post much later on the primer test for those remembering this post. keep your powder dry.

This past summer in my area there was a rumor started that in June all ammo will have a shelf life. People jumped on it.

I was at a gun show this summer where a guy was selling "Pre June" Stinger 22lr rounds for $27 a box, that is selling, not asking. The same merchant was selling his weight in Federal Lightenings for $7 a box because they also were "pre June"

There are some really underhanded merchants in my area. Same show I saw a guy selling "green tip" 5.56. The green paint wasn't square and looked to be hand dipped. Some rounds even had green paint to the case mouth. Even my wife commented on how it looked fake. Funny part is that it was R-P brass, probably a bulk WM buy the guy then dipped to be able to charge the $700 per 1K he was.

Dolomite