• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New priming tool....

kylec

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2014
Cullman, AL
I'm done with my RCBS hand primer.

I wish I could sayoney is no object, but it is.

What's out there that is a step or 2 up?

Thanks for the help!

it's all or nothing. RCBS or the $650 Primal Rights CPS. I use the Frankford arsenal hand primer but I think all the hand primers are pretty much the same

I use a 21st Century hand primer. It is 100 times better than RCBS. K&M is nice too, but not as easily adjustable.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
I'm done with my RCBS hand primer.

I wish I could sayoney is no object, but it is.

What's out there that is a step or 2 up?

Thanks for the help!
I am using the Forster one. I like it a lot. If you go that route make sure to get the loading tray as well. I can load tubes in just a few seconds by hand.

I did create a special mount for the primer tool as a whole based solely around what I like. It has the primer tool at a slight angle.

So far I have nothing but good things to say.

For my precision loads I use a K&M and have no reason to upgrade. It adjusts for seating depth and give a good "feel" seating to the bottom of the primer pocket.

For blasting ammo, I use a Hornady priming tool, which works well. I did have an issue with it, sent it back to Hornady and they replaced it with a new unit. I had a RCBS priming tool that uses specific shell holders, it was the biggest piece of garbage I've ever used. I didn't try the universal unit that has the adjustable jaws.

If I were to up grade from the Hornady, I'd probably get the Frankford Arsenal hand priming tool. There's good reviews on it.

O/P, Do you want to stick with hand held units or want to use a bench mounted primer tube fed unit?

I'm not a fan of filling primer tubes unless using a progressive press.

Reactions: HammerT
Same boat. Ready to trade up as well. CPS is outta the question.
Not liking my Frankford hand primer. There is no positive stop so seating depth is relative to grip strength and afer 100 cases it varies. And the hand fatigue. Needless to say it gets old quick. I may go back to doing it on the L&L press which has its own issues.

they make a neat primer that can mount to a table for around 600.00 dollars lol

I use a K & M. Very nice tool MUCH easier to use than a RCBS or LEE. Very Positve. I would think 21st Century would be excellent as well.

O/P, Do you want to stick with hand held units or want to use a bench mounted primer tube fed unit?

I'm not sure. I just know I'm done with the RCBS

I recently started using the Lee ACP. It was on sale at Midway for $75. It feels a little bit cheap, but I'm getting very consistent results. It would be perfect if the priming depth was adjustable.

There's definitely an untapped market for primer seaters. I think if someone came out with a precision bench mounted primer seater with depth adjustment for ~ $200 they would sell a ton.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
I have either inherited or been gifted as many different priming tools as you can name. I think the only one I don't have is the new Lee APP.

I don't mind hand primers and spent many days with the old original Lee tool with the round tray in my youth as any. I think the new folding square tray version of this tool sucks.

Now that I have had and used all of them, I will say I like the PMA version if I was using a hand tool because it can be set to a finely controlled stop. It doesn't run clicks, and it doesn't use custom shell holders.

I will also say there is nothing wrong with the 21st Century or the K&M hand tools, they come very close to the same thing as the PMA.

https://www.pmatool.com/pma-ball-bearing-drive-priming-tool-308-br-family-1/

For me, the best route is a bench tool with a primer feed. The RCBS version with the Holland's modification is very good, as is the CPS. I will admit they are not cheap tools, but at my point and place in life I value my hands and my time as much as my money. YMMV

https://www.hollandguns.com/m7/H-PPS-AU--hollands-perfect-primer-seater-adapter-unit.html
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/10/darrell-holland-upgrade-for-rcbs-bench-priming-tool/

As always, YMMV

The RCBS Automatic Priming Tool works great and quick, reasonably priced.

Does anyone have experience with the holland upgrade I already have rcbs bench primer. Should I look into upgrading the rcbs or go cps.

I just wasted about 20 small rifle primers desperately trying to prime once fired 223 brass. Yes I did all I could possible do to the damn primer pockets... unfortunately the brass moves and tips in the supplied holder thingy and they end up going in on an angle. Biggest pile of dung...

Frankford Arsenal Perfect Priming Tool ... love it.
Yeah, I made a thread about priming tools a while back and ending up going with the FA hand tool(2 actually). I can't begin to tell you how much better it is than Hornady or Lee or RCBS(though apparently there was an rcbs model that many liked at one time). If you want a hand primer like I did, I would highly recommend the FA. In fairness, I think the 21st century is very similar. The FA has a depth setting too and it works well best I can tell with calipers.

Reactions: DIBBS and st1650
I use the FA hand priming tool and while its far from perfect it does a respectable job. Quality of the tool is not bad but
the shellholders are not great so I use the lee ones from my old hand primer.

Tried the RCBS bench priming tooland sold it. I would buy a 21st Century tool but no way am I loading one primer at a time.

I would try this with the RCBS bench top primer

I do not own one but have thought about purchasing one.

I was using my Rock Chucker Supreme priming arm to prime one at a time, manually.... After seeing the CPS in Greg's videos, I thought I could achieve fairly precise adjustability of my seating depth if I put my PMA Micro Die Adjuster onto an RCBS Ram Prime unit... Works great but very slow... I only prime 30 cases at a time so not a problem for me... I just like the ability to adjust seating depth to desired touch or crush.... Greg's CPS is something I'd love to own but the "farmer" in me needed a solution to imitate....

Frankford Arsenal... not perfect but I like the adjustable seating depth, and once you figure it out.. works pretty well for the price. I also have a K&M I think. Good feel for seating primers, but doing one at a time doesn't work for me.

If you don't like the RCBS, avoid the Hornady like the plague...

My most read shooting escapade....

If you take that Dillon 550 concept, and go with one that is meant for a case feeder (650, 750, etc.), then you don't have to fiddle with each piece....

Dump in a batch of brass and use one tool head to prep and you don't fiddle with de-prime. Then...

Use a different toolhead and you can then dump in a bunch of cleaned, prepped brass, and load.

But sorry for going down a different rabbit hole since this is supposed to be about priming...

OP, there are two different conversion types that come with your RCBS tool. A black and a white. The white plastic, small rod inserted flat side UP and your #10 223 shell holder. If you have the wrong set up. Correct it. Mine works fine.