• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Product! By Snipers for Snipers!

sosicmcise

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Hide Members,
I’d like to introduce a new tool that we’re releasing called The Field Density Altitude Compensator (FDAC). This product was entirely conceived, designed, and validated by Adaptive Consulting & Training Services, LLC (ACTS). ACTS is a small business completely owned and operated by former USMC Scout Snipers.

The FDAC is an analog slide rule that displays elevation and windage firing solutions using density altitude (DA). It has two sides, side (A) calculates firing solutions in MOA (minutes of angle) and side (B) calculates in 0.1 MRAD (one tenth milradian, commonly referred to as “mils”). The front of the product has a density altitude calculation table, allowing the user to easily compute density altitude with acceptable accuracy in the absence of an instrument such as a kestrel or other device that measures density altitude.

DSC_0014.JPG

The FDAC comes with (5) internal slides which can be swapped out by the user. Each slide contains ballistic data specific to the most common velocity range used with the 175 Sierra Matchking (2500, 2550, 2600, 2650, 2700 fps).

DSC_0016.JPG

The user simply inserts the slide which is the closest to the muzzle velocity of his rifle, and then slides the internal firing solution matrix (the slide) until the current density altitude and the below listed firing solutions are visible in the viewing window. All firing solutions contained in the FDAC are calculated using the G7 drag model and Bryan Litz’s tested G7 ballistic coefficients. All data contained in the three slides are the results of an extensive two year live fire testing and validation project involving several military snipers, about 20 different weapon/optic combinations, and about 20,000 rounds of .308 ammunition fired in numerous environments around the world. The production version has gone through several revisions, ultimately yielding a very simple, accurate, and user friendly tool for anyone that owns or is issued a .308 winchester / 7.62 x 51mm precision rifle.

DSC_0019.JPG

You will notice that the case and internal slides are different colors on each side (tan/green), this is to ensure that the user has inserted the slide into the case properly. If the slide and case colors match as seen through the viewing window, the slide has been inserted properly and the user is now reading the proper scope adjustment increments (MOA/0.1 MRAD), there are also visible markings on the pull tabs of the slide for redundancy.
All ranges listed on the FDAC are in Yards and are in 50 yard increments up to 800 yards. From 800-1,000 yards all range increments are listed in 25 yard increments, providing the user with a much more refined firing solution for very distant targets (greater than 800 yards).
Windage figures listed on the FDAC are based on a 5mph full value “baseline” wind, allowing the shooter to easily multiply or divide this baseline as winds increase or decrease in velocity, or the wind value (wind angle) changes from perpendicular to the axis of fire (which would be a full value wind).
The sonic barrier is marked in red on each slide to indicate at a given density altitude, target distance, and muzzle velocity the point in which the projectile will begin and maintain sub-sonic flight. This was found to be very helpful for shooters engaging long range targets in very dense air in which their projectiles would become unstable and possibly unpredictable in flight.

DSC02884.jpg

During the verification/validation phase we used shooters from a very wide range of experience levels. On every occasion, young shooters with very little shooting experience and ballistic knowledge were pitted against experienced shooters operating complex, PDA and cell phone operated ballistic computers. In every test, the shooter operating the FDAC was able to get "on target" long before the experienced shooter was able to even finish inputing data within the ballistic computer.

This product is not designed to replace a ballistic computer. The FDAC is primarily designed to augment a ballistic computer in the event of system failure, or when an accurate shot has to be delivered immediately without time to operate a ballistic computer.

DSC_0025.JPG

The FDAC is entirely made in the <span style="font-weight: bold">UNITED STATES OF AMERICA</span>. It is completely waterproof, no paper or cardboard is used at all. It is constructed out of very rugged and flexible PVC and is designed specifically for a sniper operating in the field. If you own a .308 this product is for you!

<span style="font-weight: bold">$39.95 shipped</span>

Purchase link: Adaptive Consulting and Training Services, LLC

For those not wishing to use Paypal, we accept Money Orders at the following address, made out to the business name listed in the address below:

Adaptive Consulting & Training Services, LLC
27 Commerce Parkway, Unit 27
Fredericksburg, VA 22406

Last edited:
Re: New Product! By Snipers for Snipers!

A separate LR version will be released very soon that will include .300WM, .338LM, and others. You'll see it on the Hide before anywhere else.

Thanks for your interest.

Taylor

When I get my 308 I will have to get a set of these.

My Mil Dot Master is getting a new friend!

So am I to believe that they can be ordered right now via PP, or do we have to wait until the website is up?

Good idea. I love to see people thinking and developing solutions.

I will look forward to other caliber and projectile wieghts. Specifically 155gr and 6.5mm projos.

Firstly,

Congratulations on a good idea.
I'd love one, but it's going to be very expensive for me. I'll have to buy a .308 for it to be of any real use to me.

So, other calibres, OR how about just doing it for a specific BC and typical velocity ranges? Possible or not?

Finally, my biggest bug-bear, PAYPAL, or as I prefer to call it "Don't pay, Pal" I've had nothing but problems with paypal, so do you have an alternative method of payment??

I'm assuming that if I buy one of these now, any additional inserts will be available separately, and be retro-compatible??

Looking for 190grn .300WinMag and 120/130/140grn 6.5 (Creedmoor and .260Rem)

Cheers and good luck with this new widget.

Neil

Couldn't they be theoretically be made by BC and MV?

Tag for future reference-very cool idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't they be theoretically be made by BC and MV?

Tag for future reference-very cool idea. </div></div>

What he said, ^^^ only more succinctly than me.

Hi Sobrbiker, I'm coming to Az in Oct (12th), where you at??

Neil

Congrats Taylor job well done HOG!!

The dimensions are as follows:

Overall Length: 6.625"
Overall Width: 3.75"

Next to a Remington 700 Short Action bolt:
DSC04506.JPG

Fits perfectly into a USMC BDU breast pocket: (Pocket flap open)
DSC04508.JPG

(Pocket flap closed)
DSC04507.JPG

The pink fuzz on the velcro is mine. Its from my underwear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A separate LR version will be released very soon that will include .300WM, .338LM, and others. You'll see it on the Hide before anywhere else.

Thanks for your interest.

Taylor

</div></div> Additionally, the LR (Mil-Spec) version will provide firing solutions for moving targets and for engaging at angle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will send you a small vial of liquid that you must drink under a full moon in the darkest part of the forest.

And then will you be ready!

</div></div>

F yeah!!! I already took LL's on-line sniper clep test, the vial will make me double legit!

Joking aside, I want one!

Payment sent via Paypal.

Looks like a great product.

I like supporting Marine Scout Snipers
smile.gif

Q: Why the 175 grain Sierra Match King?

A: The choice to offer this product using the 175g SMK took some time and research across the shooting sports. Across the vast majority of shooters that would be interested in compensating for atmospheric density using “density altitude”, almost all of them were shooting a bullet that would remain supersonic out to 1,000 yards or greater. We realize many shooters use the 168g SMK, and the 155g Lapua Scenar, as well as many other .30 caliber bullets, but the 175g SMK continues to soar in popularity among the long range crowd. The FDAC's primary purpose is to support the working sniper shooting issued M118LR, and has proven to be extremely effective with just about any .308 cartridge topped with a 175 SMK (Federal, Black Hills, HSM, Corbon, etc).

The LR MILSPEC model is in production and will include the larger calibers (.338LM, .300WM, etc) and have some unique features at the request of the operating forces.

I hope i've been able to your questions guys.

Thanks,

Taylor

How does this differ from Brand Coles DTAC cards? You know, the ones that are sold by David Tubb, as designed by the person responsible for the Prometheus 1 and 2?

perfect ! what's the difference in colors ? one is MOA and the other MIL ?

Would be interested in the 338LM and 300 WM just in case my PDA runs out of battery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would be interested in the 338LM and 300 WM just in case my PDA runs out of battery.</div></div>

....Coming soon....VERY SOON!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">perfect ! what's the difference in colors ? one is MOA and the other MIL ?</div></div>

Exactly.

Alright folks! The first batch of orders has been processed and shipped as of 0800 today. Thanks for all of the interest! The response has been overwhelming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinn fein</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">perfect ! what's the difference in colors ? one is MOA and the other MIL ?</div></div>

Exactly. </div></div>

For some more clarity we will post a video link today, keep watching here for details.

great items.... I'll use same things but with more tables...

I'll order these today... to be same practice with y..... waiting the metric version..

very good job !!

I've had the opportunity to work with this device and I like it. It is nicely executed, well thought out and well made.

I've checked it against actual field data for several of my own rifles and it's between "right on" and "extremely close" (within 1/2 MOA at 800+ yards) in almost every situation I could compare. In short; it works and I would have no reservations recommending this device and using it myself.

For a fast and efficient pocket calculator, it replaces the page after page of charts run at differing Density Altitudes that many of us maintain. Most long range shooters recognize how necessary it is to consider air density, and this allows us to quickly and accurately account for atmospheric conditions without electronics.

The inclusion of the nomograph used to derive Density Altitude from local conditions allows one to be less dependent on a relatively fragile, battery powered electronic weather station like the Kestrel 4000 or 4500.

By picking the muzzle velocity closest to your own system, you can have at your fingertips firing solutions for varying air densities and it makes a great companion to the Mildot Master.

I noticed some of the comments above, and would offer my own *definitely unofficial* <span style="text-decoration: underline">opinions</span>:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't they be theoretically be made by BC and MV?</div></div>
The BC and MV are always critical in calculating trajectories and deflection, but the inclusion of variable Density Altitude compensation makes it directly applicable to a firing solution.

The only real issue (and common to ALL data sources) I see is the varying degree of stability various rifles impart to the same bullet. Not every rifle will shoot the exact same drop data at all ranges, even if the bullet and muzzle velocity are identical.

This is because throat geometry variations can cause bullets to suffer in-bore yaw, which degrades the BC until the airstream can push it back into a nose-on attitude. By that time, we have squandered a lot of our velocity and flight time, and so long range drop can be substantially more than expected. A perfectly stabilized bullet will drop less than one shot from a very worn or poorly cut throat.

This issue and potential error extends to all generic data sources, and is exactly why one must always shoot their own data rather than to rely on tables of any sort. Exactly as with adjusting our MV and/or BC in our ballistic software to account for individual rifle performance, once one has shot their data and picked a card that matches, this device will be more accurate than any generic table.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does this differ from Brand Coles DTAC cards?</div></div>IMO, the difference is exactly the same as the difference between using your Mildot Master to range a target and flipping through your data book's five pages of mil conversion tables to find the same data. Just two differing approaches to the same challenge.

BTW, are Brand Cole's cards still in production? David Tubb's site has a link for the DTAC Cards, but the linked page is dead. His .pdf catalog doesn't show them either, or I could have missed them.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would be interested in the 338LM and 300 WM just in case my PDA runs out of battery.</div></div>After waiting time and again for a student to play with his calculator long enough for a condition change to negate the data, I'd suggest that you'll ultimately prefer the speed and simplicity of the FDAC.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great items.... I'll use same things but with more tables...</div></div>This is where most of us have been: Using tables generated for our adjusted/corrected BC/MV, then run in varying atmospheric conditions to provide a correct chart at any given density altitude. This device puts 14 such charts (-3,000' to +10,000') at your fingertips, so all one really needs is a quick check of local density altitude and the one card installed that matches your rifle's trajectory.

Gents, I tried this product and it was amazing. I was able to get firing solutions within seconds. After being taught at USMC sniper school before the BDC, then being trained on the BDC and using it I thought getting an accurate dope couldn't get any easier or faster. I stand corrected! This is so easy to use and does the same thing as the BDC, but cheaper and just, for me, as accurate! It is well worth the investment.