• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Production P226 German Sear Pin Frozen!

60BDriver

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Pensacola, FL
I've had my P226 for a few weeks and finally got time to sit down and clean the disassembled gun, which was sitting on my kitchen table waiting for a bath for about a week. I'd been busy since I picked it up from my FFL and now I had a Jack & Coke, Stanley Cup game, and a fine German P226 to play with.... Until...

IMG_2211.jpg

The sear pin is frozen in the frame, feels pressed in, or possibly the wrong pin was used and maybe hammered in? How could a German assembly worker make such a mistake? How could anyone with any sense? I smell a rat here! I sent Sig Sauer, Germany, an email and I'm waiting to here if this is an aftermarket change or if it was manufactured this way. What do you all think?
confused.gif

Here is how it's supposed to look when the sear spring is relieved of the sear spring post and the weapon is de-cocked. This is the best pistol I've ever owned... The W. German P228. This pin slid out like it was on butter!:

IMG_2286.jpg

My recently purchased P220 W. German sear pin came out like butter too! What's going on here!???
mad.gif

IMG_2285.jpg

My new P226 German with the sear pin going no where! I don't want to punch it out until I hear from Sig Sauer, Germany.

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

I did call Sig Sauer, USA. The guy I got on the phone was unsympathetic, seemed bothered that I wanted to know what was going on, refused to give me any indication as to whether it was manufactured this way or not, would not let me talk to his armorer, nor a supervisor, and said send it in and we'll see if there is a problem. He also said that taking the sear and hammer apart was an armorer's level process. Seriously? Now I am paying to employ your armorer with simple processes like this? The answer is no! I am smarter than a six year old and am perfectly capable of taking the sear apart and hammer and cleaning that assembly without any punches or tools other than a screwdriver and tooth pick!

I'm not in the habit of taking a long time to find a German gun and turning it over to have it drilled on with no description of what is going to be done. I'm surely not going to send it in if the company who imported it can't tell me on the phone if it is supposed to be like this. Isn't Sig Sauer supposed to know about their own firearms? The guy on the phone used polite words and polite phrases but you could tell he wasn't going to go out of his way to help me other than to have me send it in for "work". There was an obvious rude tone to the conversation on his part and he wasn't going to comment about the sear pin at all.

So after the CS rep refused to let me talk to their armorer, who was right there with him, or close enough for him to put the phone aside and ask him a question, he recommended that I take it to an armorer in my town and ask him if it is supposed to be like that! Can you believe that shit! Sig Sauer, USA, wants ME to take it to ANY ARMORER and ask THEM if it's supposed to be like that. Now do you see why I don't really want to just blindly send it in for work. If Sig Sauer, USA, is washing their hands of the German guns like this do I really want to send it in to them for work? I've heard good stories about sending guns in to them. But they do a lot of "spontaneous" work, including replacing slides, refinishing work, and repairs, without consulting the customer. That's all fine, if you have an American gun and you don't mind components changed out with US manufactured parts. I have a 7 day old German gun. I asked Sig to look at the gun and not work on it until I agreed to their proposed work, to which he replied, "if you send it in, [the armorer] is going to repair it. We don't deal in 'what if's here'". Really? That's good customer service? Buy a German pistol and send it in to have it worked on and you don't know what they will do, replace the frame, refinish the frame, drill out the pin, punch out the pin and bore out the hole, WHAT!? Anyone else feel me? This is like sending a brand new Porsche in to Chrysler when Chrysler says, "we're going to fix it if you send it in". I'm not saying Sig Sauer, USA, is Chrysler, but they changed the design on a successful gun (P series in general), milling the slides instead of stamping/folding them, which made them top heavy IMHO. Germans have been working in metal for centuries, making suits of armor, tanks and weapons - much longer than the USA has been on the map and I'm pretty sure their metal formula works. It's working great on my P228 which is still going strong without a FFF or FTE to date.

Help me out here guys. What's going on with this pin? Anyone else have a P226 German like this one and can check their sear pin to see if it is pressed in/frozen like mine? If you don't normally take this pin out, make sure the sear spring is released around the post and the hammer is de-cocket. The pin should slide out like butter in this configuration. If it moves at all that's all I need to know. Mine won't move at all.

UPDATE: 20 MAY 12, still no reply from Sig Sauer, Germany, after an email sent via their website contact us form and two emails to their HR rep who stated my email would be forwarded to customer service for consideration. I'm not sure they will reply.

Just out of curiosity and based upon the response I got from Sig Sauer, USA, when I called to ask about this, I looked up Sig Sauer, Inc., on the BBB website. They have an F rating based upon 15 reviews. I know most firearm manufacturers don't participate in the BBB process but maybe they should. The BBB shows no attempt by Sig Sauer, Inc., to be accredited. These forums are most likely more effective than the BBB system anyway, I'm hoping, at least.

Re: New Production P226 German Sear Pin Frozen!

i'll get a buddy of mine to look at this and get back to ya

You should you tube some P226 assembly/dis-assembly videos. You skipped a bunch of steps and probably bound up the pin on something else. You have to take the trigger assembly, decocker, trigger bar etc out before you go jumping to the sear pin. Probably doesn't help to drink while gunsmithing either.

If it came out like butter then it will go in like butter.
Try the other side and make sure the other parts are in correct and aligned.
Make sure it is in straight and nothing is blocking it ~ that can happen but it will go back in.
I have eleven Sigs and I have detail stripped every one of them and they will go back in fine ~ don't force it.
PS ... the BBB response is a cop out ~ it is not fair to blame Sig for our own ineptness.
Good Luck.

I love these types of threads! Seems that we have folks that fail at reading comprehension and others that think it’s a good idea to whack on firearms while drinking. Is this ARFCOM GD now?

To the OP - Seems like you’re screwed. You want “butter” but won’t send it in or take it anywhere. Perhaps you should simply live with it and move on?

1) Why do you feel the need to take it out?
2) Do you believe that Porsche mechanics are any better?
3) If you don't want to send it in; LIVE W/ IT!
4) While there are rumours of the Exeter guns not quite being the same quality of the West German guns; you seem to be happy bashing rather then simply inquiring for some type of a solution.

Well...

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I guess I'm not getting any more forum emails pushed so I didn't know anyone had responded. I'll fix that.

I'll reply to the replies...

1. I'm pretty sure nothing else needs to be done but remove the sear pin spring tension to release the pin, but I did remove everything else on the gun and this did not make a difference. My P228 and P220 pins come out freely without removing anything but the slide assembly and then the sear pin spring tension.

2. I think I may have confused you. The pin never came out. It wouldn't budge. There is some kind of manufacturing difference here, requiring the pin to be removed with a punch, which I didn't attempt, in fear of damaging a new gun. I've spoken to another owner of the same gun and he had to punch his out, as well.

3. I feel the need to take the pin out in order to clean the sear, sear pin, sear spring, hammer, and every other component in that area. If my life depends upon the gun, I'm not leaving it to chance and just cleaning that area every 5000 rounds or so. I clean my guns thoroughly, and often.

4. Yes, I believe German mechanics are better.

5. I did bash Sig Sauer. This is why. I called them. I asked them if there was a known issue with this gun. Their only answer was.. "send it in". Sending in a gun to Sig Sauer, according to their customer service, involves having the gun worked on if THEY so choose and HOW they choose, with NO input. This isn't my lawnmower, it's my new favorite gun. That's like buying a new car and needing to have it repainted the next day. And it's not the factory job, it's a subcontractor. And it's a subcontractor who tells you that you have no say in the work. No one would be happy with this. They offered no answer, refused to let me speak to their armorer to find out if it was a manufacturing problem or if the gun was designed this way, and refused to hold off any work until I authorized it. I don't believe in sending in a new gun to a company who refuses to answer your questions and tells you, "if you send it in, our gunsmith is going to do what he chooses to do and that's it. We don't deal in what if's".

5. It would seem I'm screwed. I wrote Sig Sauer, Germany, about this issue and they finally replied. They stated that it is possible that the tolerances were too close. They suggested I swap the gun with my dealer. I asked him to do so. He was going to but Sig Suaer, USA, told my dealer that he was not to check the sear pin. That this was only authorized by Sig Sauer's authorized armorers. My dealer refused to check the new gun prior to shipping it out so we were at a stand still. But the dealer had character and decided to refund my money rather than continue this research. You won't find that in many dealers today.

Finally, given this issue, I don't believe Germany does anything by a whim and their post manufacture testing, as most of us know, is second to none. If this was changed, it was done so by design. The problem is, Sig Sauer, USA, isn't aware of it, and you can't get an honest answer out of them as soon as they hear, "German Sig". Several of my friends have experienced the same thing with Sig. Looks like home defense is in the hands of my W. German P220 now that the P226R is not going to work.