• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New project for me...another Savage, another stock

2guard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
nashville, tn
I picked up a Savage mk2 btv the other day on gunbroker really cheap for an mk2 stock I had bought a few weeks ago off another board. Got the stock in today. First off, its a Richards Microfit Benchmark style inletted for the mk2 in nutmeg laminate. I have read good and bad, mostly bad, about the fitment of these, but seeing as how it came off a rifle that someone was using regulary, I figured it was probably ok to use. It has a 2.5" wide forearm that will be good for shooting of bags and packs, and the stock is full size, much larger all around than the tacticool I have. This is a good thing for me, I'm 6'5 and about 230 with long arms and like a stock that fits me somewhat (I installed the adjustable buttplate on the tacticool in my signature for that reason), even on a 22 trainer. The stock shape itself reminds me of the hs precision stock with the flat tapered rear butt, cant remember the number on it, except with the front vents on the forearm.
Well, I took it out of the box for inspection and noticed the bottom metal/magazine area and the trigger guard were not inletted. Strange, but no biggie, I can inlet those. But, I also noticed that a lot of the flat surfaces were not flat at all. I don't mean wavy, I mean uneven where the forearm would not lay flat on a table. More sanding I guess. This was also the case with the top rails next to the barrel channel and action. All remedied with sanding, I guess, but delays my painting and rifle time.
Anyway, I sanded the stock down and leveled out the top rails and bottom of the forearm, and also evened out the palm swell some as the right side had a not in the center of it which caused a big bump in the palm of your hand when gripped. More sanding. Barrel channel seemed a little tight, so I opened it up some with my trusty 1" pipe and 100 grit. More sanding. I started to wonder if the stock had ever been on a rifle. It was finished, hand rubbed by the guy I bought it from, and although it was rough it looked to have been used. Not sure of the finishing methods, but the stock looked stained in multiple areas, and sand marks and dips and dings had collected more stain and looked darker. I have finished quite a few hardwood and laminate stocks, and usually go from 60 or 100 grit up to 600 and then some ultra fine steel wool before I apply the finish. I use lin-speed oil, but have stained various stocks and have always believed less is more, and if you need more, do multiple coats of stain, not one heavy coat. That said, I will be painting this stock camo of some sort, havent really decided on a pattern yet (still really like the nighthawk camo pattern I did on my budget build). I will probably only sand this one to 400, then use a filler for the laminate, and then a primer before the paint goes on.
Enough words, here's some pics of the stock:
hu0vt4.jpg

5dtbu1.jpg

efjudf.jpg

and some after sanding and leveling:
1ze8krb.jpg

6pwcrd.jpg

The BTV should be in next week sometime, so I hope I can have this done by the 4th.

Re: New project for me...another Savage, another stock

That is looking very good. You have a lot more patience than I do.

I have also read mixed reviews on the Richards stocks. I think if you have good woodworking skills (and it appears you do) that their stocks are cost effective and can turn out nice.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming pictures.

Spent some time last night and this morning sanding and fitting. I had to take some wood off where the pillars set in the stock. The rear pillar (behind the safety and under the end of the bolt) did not even have the inlet started. No problem, it was the easy one. I took a dremel and relieved as much wood as needed for the action to set at proper height. A lot of fit and trim, and then check fitment again, and then trim again.
After getting the action to where I liked it to set, I turned to the trigger guard and mag plate areas. There was nothing there, no inletting, no markings, only the screw holes for mounting the action. I marked everything off and starter trimming and relieving the laminate. I let it out a bit larger than needed, because I plan on 1/8" alu bottom metal and also bedding the bottom metal and the trigger guard in devcon. It seems to help some I have noticed in a better action fit. I will wait to see accuracy results before bedding the action in the stock. I like the recessed look of the bottom metal and the relief cut out of the forearm, shouldn't make any difference in performance, but I like the look. Reminds me of the sss stocks.
Nothing else major, trimmed the safety area where it looked better (it functioned fine before, but looked really tight). I let out some of the trigger blade laminate, but it looked to be scored from Richards, reminded me of the old balsa airplane kits where you snapped the parts off the large balsa sheet.
Need to get the longer screws in and I will be set for final fitting. I may shoot a coat of primer on it where I can see the high spots for sanding purposes.

j835lw.jpg

xofny9.jpg

8x0tba.jpg

Some camo patterns I have been looking at...

kbpurl.jpg

Tested some colors out for camo, found a new (at least to me) Krylon camo color. I haven't seen it before where I shop. It looks like a light ww2 OD, think actual fresh green olives. Anyway, I liked it and picked some up. I had some of the Krylon darker, standard OD that I have used before and some GAP camo stencils leftover, so I shot a choate tactical stock for a savage la I had laying around. When done, it reminds me of older Italian camo (see pic), except in 2 color instead of 3 color. I was more concerned with the 2 OD colors and their contrast, so I did not shoot the 3rd color, brown, which now I wish I had. Overall the new, lighter OD looks good and I will be using it on the rimfire stock. I wish I could find some green like on the duffle pic below for a third color instead of the darker OD (which almost looks gray in these pics instead of OD). I shot three coats of flat clear over these colors, so needless to say I won'e be re-doing it with brown. I'm about to order an xlr stock for the long action savage (can't decide between the black or green, and there's a guy in clarksville doing dipped camo finishes now so it may not matter), so this stock will either go back in storage in the shop, or be sold so it really doesn't matter anyway.
2eyvznn.jpg

am2rr4.jpg

2dkztpv.jpg

Finally picked up the btv over the weekend. It is an older pre-e receiver model, but in very good condition. I could only find two small nicks on the royal jac thumbhole stock, and a little wearing on the blueing of the bolt knob and one area on the barrel (everything was pointed out to me by the seller before purchase, so a+ for him).
66el3r.jpg

My DIP bottom metal and screws also came in today, and the BM looks to be good quality, and it fits just like the original only 1/8" thick. The stock inletting for the BM is just about perfect height-wise and the rest of it will be filled level with devcon when I bed (along with the trigger guard). I am still waiting on the rail, I special ordered it from EGW with 30moa. Said it may be 2-3 weeks. It was $20 extra, which I did not think was too high for a custom piece. I plan on bedding the trigger guard and BM in the next few days, and then sealing the wood and starting the camo. I am seriously thinking about multicam after seeing some this weekend. really like the look of it.
23mr1qx.jpg

Source for the bottom metal?

Diversified Innovative Products:
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3602

link should show all the bottom metal they have for savage, quite a few different sizes beyond just e-reciever and pre-e. I have just under $30 in the screws, bottom metal and shipping. They are cheaper than the savagegunsmithing 1/8" bottom metal. I tried to have 100 of these water-jet cut about 6 months ago, but the company I use couldn't get them exact enough to fit properly. I am still looking for another machine shop that does either laser or water-jet cutting where I can have some made. These should not be over around $15 shipped. I was quoted about $150 for 100 of them (I supplied the autocad dxf file, so all they had to do was put it in and cut), so $20-30 sounds like a really good markup (yes I have a small business and realize all the costs, but it only took me about 5 minutes to draw this thing to specs and 1/8" aluminum is pretty cheap). I guess it could be worse...

I painted the stock over the past few days, and needless to say I am not a fan of the finished product. I think it needs more brown and lrger stencils to cover the majority of the base light od green. It's not terrible, the finish is great with the flat clear and the stencils came off great with only a few nicks to touch up, but I'm still not excited about it. Anyway, I guess I can sand it down and repaint. No harm, no foul. Rail might be in this coming week, so I will see how it shoots next weekend. I ordered two bricks of Lapua Center-X for this and my other 22lr, hopefully it will like it. If not I will be shooting the other 22lr for a while.
whcqb8.jpg

The green is a bit over powering. It seems like you stopped painting in the forearm area. Maybe if there was something above the vents it would break up the green some.