• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new project k98 mauser

turbosa22c

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2008
yuma AZ
i just bought a surplus Israeli k98 mauser in 308. the barrel has heavy pitting and i was wondering if there was a smith who could rebarrel it.
i want to keep the military look. the front and rear sights need to be removed and transfered over. im not sure how its mounted im assuming its soldered on. If the rifle could shoot 1.5 to 2moa i would be satisfied. here is a borrowed pic from the auction site.
pix510057312.jpg

if you have any pics of your k98 mauser, please post them up so i can get some inspiration.

Re: new project k98 mauser

i wonder what LOSOK's work load is at this time.

that wilson barrel from brownells looks like a good solution

Are you planning on making it look like a vintage sniper rifle? I have a German k98 8mm (Russian Capture) that I put a long side rail mount on, still working on the vintage scope though. I'll try to post some pics when I figure out how.

2dvudc0.jpg

2yo8zeb.jpg

33uwpcn.jpg

jq6rnr.jpg

Here's a few pics I just took. Sorry if they aren't that good, the lighting was pretty poor. As you can see I currently have a baush and lomb elite 4200 6-24x mounted, but I'm planning on replacing it with an old ww2 era zeiss or hensoldt. All it took to put on the rail mount was making a small cutout in the stock and then drilling into the receiver. If you want to do this yourself, make sure you know exactly where you want to drill the holes before you start (made a few mistakes myself, luckily it still turned out nice).

Oops, sorry about the one huge pic. I must have forgotten to format it correctly. Figures I screw up when I try to post pics for the first time.

yeah, I have a friend with quite a mauser collection, it is some wonderful examples of history and nostalgia. Fun to shoot too.

I've always been a 1903 guy, and they are not much different from the k98 (stolen design, basically). I just added my first mauser (technically a walther, but whatever), and I went whole hog. This was given to me by my uncle:

rifle002.jpg

this is a k43 from Berlin-Lubecker factory. All original, cant have seen much use in it's life. NUMBERS MATCHING on all parts, and it was a bringback by my uncle's father-in-law. Somebody mixed up stain, woodglue, and sawdust to fill the sling hole, I have dremeled that shit out and am going to restain that area and put on the original sling. Only missing the sling, cleaning rod, and oiler/string-pull. It has the spare firing pin and ejector still in the trapdoor in the buttplate.

Aww, thanks a lot, makes my Russian capture look like a piece of junk. Just kidding nice rifle.

yours is in pretty nice shape for a russian, some of them look like they have sat in the snow in stalingrad for 60 years...

i wanted the look of a vintage sniper but with practicality of a 308. that scope mount was the one i was looking at. also debating the high mount version. your rifle looks a million times better than mine. when it was delivered the stock split into two at the wrist. so i ordered a boyds 98k gewhr stock ,whih im gonna have to modify to fit.

Here is my Israeli Mauser[Sling is Israeli marked] along with my Belgian Mauser. Both made by FN:
PIC00001.jpg

BTW; These are 22lr Trainers
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I wouldn't give for a "shooter" 1903..... </div></div>

They're all over the place. You just have to be willing to pay $600 for them...
sick.gif

I had a 1903A3 that I got from a city worker in South Florida for $10 (no, I didn't miss any numbers in there, I paid the guy $10 for it). It looked like crap when I got it, but after some TLC it started looking pretty damned good. And it was a shooter! It went when I sold most of my guns off to move up here. I still miss that damned thing...
cry.gif

I've got several mausers, spanning about 50 years of history. My oldest is a swedish M96 that was made in 1899, and my newest is a Yugo M48. My favorite of the bunch is a 1941 Swedish M38. They're all sweet shooting guns though. I love 'em
smile.gif

Thanks for the compliments turbosa22c. When I bought the rifle everything was in good shape, but the shellac that the Russians finished the stock with was pretty sloppy so I stripped it off with some alcohol and put some tung oil on it instead to give it a more natural finish like it would have appeared in normal pre-capture state. Don't know if your stock has the same issues, but that's how I made mine turn out the way it is.

I also have an Israeli sling on my rifle, took it off recently for some benchrest shooting so I don't have it pictured. It's basically the same as what n64atlas has. Just adds to the overall vintage look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghilliedup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the compliments turbosa22c. When I bought the rifle everything was in good shape, but the shellac that the Russians finished the stock with was pretty sloppy so I stripped it off with some alcohol and put some tung oil on it instead to give it a more natural finish like it would have appeared in normal pre-capture state. Don't know if your stock has the same issues, but that's how I made mine turn out the way it is. </div></div>

that's the same shit they slathered all over alot of the mosin nagants. looks like they put it on with a floor mop... all over the metal, wood, bands, everything, and about 1/8" thick. I always take it off. Between the sloppy application and the shitty red color, it's not a coating I like. I have several mosins, and my friend had a russian capture k98. We took it off all of them, I am quite familiar with this nasty coating.

I picked up a VZ24 mauser couple years ago. I took the barrel off, picked up a Shillen Match barrel off Ebay, back when they allowed such things, and send it to the smith for the works.

Trued face, lapped lugs, and squared up the action. When I bought barrel, it was long before I had any inclination about appropriate twist for bullet wieghts, and I like shooting heavies out of everything, but this rifle wont hack it. I still have not measured twist in it, but its slow, will not shoot anything over 85gr, but its surgical with 75 and 85gr bullets.

Original stock, just chopped, and stripped and rubbed in about 10 coats of TruOil. Dakota bolt handled, installed by me, Buehler style safety, original firing pin and spring, I have had no problems with the fabled "slow lock time", TIS sling, and stock pack. This is probably my favorite rifle.

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

GhilliedUp,

Now you can't use stripper clips!
laugh.gif

Is that a vintage scope mount? Is it available, and can it be installed on the slightly shorter M48 action? I've seen the long eye relief scope mounts at the rear sight position but I would prefer your way.

A lot easier to find out if it is sub 2 Moa capable with a properly mounted scope! Those irons are pretty lame for these eyes anyway!

Nice looking rifle.

Here's a couple of pics of one Mark at Losok did for me last year. It's a Parker Hale M98 in a Boyd's JRS stock with a Remington LTR barrel.

Last I spoke with Mark (he lives down the street from me)he was getting caught up, he had been behind bad. He stopped taking work on anything but his own action, Mausers, and WWI, WWII guns. The Remington and Savage work was killing him.

Give him a call his web site is www.losokcustomarms.com

P1010009.jpg

P1010020.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a couple of pics of one Mark at Losok did for me last year. It's a Parker Hale M98 in a Boyd's JRS stock with a Remington LTR barrel.

Last I spoke with Mark (he lives down the street from me)he was getting caught up, he had been behind bad. He stopped taking work on anything but his own action, Mausers, and WWI, WWII guns. The Remington and Savage work was killing him.

Give him a call his web site is www.losokcustomarms.com

P1010009.jpg

P1010020.jpg
</div></div>

+1 for LOSOK!

I guess I'm one of the culprits as far as Remington work is concerned!!
blush.gif

Mark currently has my 700P at his shop "working his magic" on it. Super great guy to talk to and eager to do what he can to help a fella out. Hey 'mac, since you live just down the way from him, stop in and take a look at my rig for me!!
grin.gif
When I shipped it to him, he said the current lead time would be 2-3 weeks on the work I sent him. Not to hijack this thread, but Mark is a super guy to deal with!

Thanks queequeg, the scope mount is one of the vintage options for the k98. My mount is a reproduction, but it's exactly the same as the real thing (without the extra coin). I can't say for sure that the long side rail I have would fit the M48 action, but I would guess with a little work you could make it fit. True, now I can't use stripper clips now, but you can't have everything in life. WW2 German snipers seemed to get along fine without them.

Oneeye - where did you get that rail for the M98?

Oh yeah, and about the availibility of the mounts, there are a bunch of auctions on ebay for these kinds of German mounts, for short rails, long rails, turret mounts, claw mounts, and the zielfernrohr mounts (the ones way up front with the really long eye relief). Some claim to be original, others are reproductions. Personally I think a reproduction works fine, but if you really want an original one they can be found, however be prepared to pay a high premium. I got my long side rail mount from mikesq2b (ebay user name). Makes the reproduction mounts himself, and does good work. I'd highly recommend to go with him if you want a mount like mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oneeye - where did you get that rail for the M98? </div></div>

Brownells.com It's made by EGW and cost effective. I think it was $20 or $30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oneeye - where did you get that rail for the M98? </div></div>

Brownells.com It's made by EGW and cost effective. I think it was $20 or $30. </div></div>

Thanks. Those are some nice looking Mausers there fellas, I have a MarkX and a VZ24 that I have sporterized into hunting rifles. Both very accurate and fun to shoot.

I just got my M48 back from Housers Gunsmithing in N.C. Not a fan of his parkerizing, and I really wish I had him moly-teflon the entire rifle instead of just the bolt.

But super nice guy and very accomodating. I plan on having him build me up a .308 off a mauser action down the road.

Dropped a Timney Featherwight Trigger in it(TERRIFIC!), a Timney low position safety, re-headspaced, teflon moly the bolt, parkerize the rest including mount and scope rings, and drilled/tapped. Kept the iron sights for backups. Also kept the original military stepped barrel, not very pretty for sporterizing but the rifling was in superb condition. (One of the perks of buying a post-war rifle that was never used)

DSCF0944.jpg

DSCF0945.jpg

DSCF0946.jpg

DSCF0947.jpg

Being an M48 with an intermediate action, stock selection is very limited.

So I used the original stock, I just chopped it short and refinished with BLO. But I've a nice Pepper Laminate stock picked out from Sporter Express. At first I planned on keeping this stock, and putting a recoil pad on it - but why bother dropping ~$30 for a pad when a new stock with pad on it costs ~$100.

200-118a.jpg

My biggest problem? With the original stock the swivel studs go into the cleaning rod chamber. I tried to use wood glue to fill in the space and anchor the stud but no luck. It kept wiggling back and forth from the bipod.

Gonna try JB Weld next. But it's just a temp problem until I order the new stock.

Where's Kombar? He's got one that he had a Krieger put on. He had the sights transferred and kept the original look. He's got a 4x IOR scope on it that keeps the vintage feel of it.

Shoots great but the zero drifts from day to day. I'm thinking he should fiberglass bed it the entire length of the barrel.

It's probably my favorite rifle of his, and someday I hope to do one similar.

ill get some pics up tonight of my m48.......

queequeg i have to use a two piece mount as i could not find a one piece that would fit....

islandcampingjan2009018.jpg

it stared out as a repro 8mm sniper...

kylieshaircut016.jpg

then moved on to a re bbl 2 groove .308

DSC01257.jpg

and got one final face lift...

islandcampingjan2009016.jpg

im very happy with it... i also had to do all of the stock work with the orginal stock... but bedded and floated i dont see any issues.... and my 5r wanted an ugly little brother anyway...

islandcampingjan2009021-1.jpg

islandcampingjan2009022.jpg

Just a thought but there are a lot of guys who "sporterized" Krags, 03's, K98s, G3340s etc who are now crying BIG tears given the value of these rifles today.
Glad this one was left alone!

ah2924265003.jpg

I have REALLY been tempted to buy one of those crap Krag barreled actions from CMP to rebuild.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought but there are a lot of guys who "sporterized" Krags, 03's, K98s, G3340s etc who are now crying BIG tears given the value of these rifles today.
Glad this one was left alone!
</div></div>

I understand what you're saying humble. When I was trying to buy my classic k98 I kept finding a bunch of them with sporterized stocks! Finally I decided on getting a decent shape Russian capture, and since its all mismatched, its value isn't that high. I'm not real torn up about drilling into the reciever for the repro mount, as there isn't much of a collector's value for the russian k98s anyway, but besides the added mount, I'm keeping mine exactly the way it is in its original state.

I have a sporterized K98 in 308 with a wood stock and a krupp barrel im gonna fix up.
Gonna add a Tubb Speedlock kit, Border 5R or Krieger barrel finished at 25 with a 6 cont, CG Jackson Trigger, Custom 20 moa pic rail, Badger rings, badger bolt knob, Voere saftey, and a manners T3 if they will inlet for it if not a HTG.
Hope CDI precision gonna get out bottom metal for the mauser if not im gonna go with williams.
True face, lap lugs, square up the action. Caliber of choice is 7RM.
Parts are being ordered atm, gonna be a great rifle when done i hope.

" still working on the vintage scope though."

Numrich arms has reproduction sniper scopes for the Mauser for $350.00 if you're flush. They also have barrels at descent prices, some used, some retreads, some new sporter style, Adams & Bennetts and ER Shaws Someone was looking for 7x57 they had some but for which model I'm not sure, seems like it was the Swede orone of the South American guns Chile maybe. This is as of 6/29/2009.
Also as for the Springfields, I have seen several at very good prices on Gun Broker recently. 500 or less. They might not be the greatest, one of them had belonged to Bubba and he did some custom stock work on it. So like that kind of thang....If I wasn't involved with rebuilding Mausers right now, I'd grab one of the 03's just to keep. TOGunslinger

I have a '41 Obendorf Russian Capture 8mm K98 Mauser. It has all of the markings intact, and has a bright shiny bore with crisp lands and deep grooves. I can't aim with the iron sights since my close vision is fading, so I bought an S&K scout mount and a Leupold M8-4x pistol scope so that I can see just how accurate it is. I haven't been to the range yet, but I have made up some 175gr gas checked cast bullets with a Harris load of 17gr of 2400. Russian shellac was stripped of stock and replaced with a DeftOil finish.

[img:center]
772b2752.jpg
[/img]

[img:center]
1b0c61a4.jpg
[/img]