• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEW PROJECT: M1915 Howell Automatic Rifle Enfield Conversion

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    My next project is the M1915 Howell semi-auto conversion of the British SMLE. The weapon was reliable with the gas piston on the right side of the gun but not ergonomic for the user as the force of the recoiling bolt interfered with handling and since the gun was dramatic when fired. Similar conversions were the South African Rieder and Charlton of New Zealand origin which had full automatic capability. During early World War II when supplies were low, some Howell rifles were issued to the Home Guard. My plan is to utilize the gas system from the FAL L1A1. I intended to use modified BREN gun magazines.

ea08ba3363acb4bfed829dd9e856cd3a7fb892e5_2_1035x582.jpeg

2da17952379dee08d4d5dc8670a5094361eaedd5_2_1035x582.jpeg

2bd4d3c47d15b5e0217440442d64ca9d9d082d3e_2_1035x582.jpeg

My next project is the M1915 Howell semi-auto conversion of the British SMLE. The weapon was reliable with the gas piston on the right side of the gun but not ergonomic for the user as the force of the recoiling bolt interfered with handling and since the gun was dramatic when fired. Similar conversions were the South African Rieder and Charlton of New Zealand origin which had full automatic capability. During early World War II when supplies were low, some Howell rifles were issued to the Home Guard. My plan is to utilize the gas system from the FAL L1A1. I intended to use modified BREN gun magazines.

View attachment 8165747

View attachment 8165746

View attachment 8165745

That's seriously awesome! I remember seeing photos of a semi auto M1903 conversion in a book. If you get yours working (since it's you, it's more of a "when" you get it working, not "if" you do), please please please modify a rifle for me!

Reactions: Average guy
    Wasn't there one for a Springfield as well?

This is an amazing conversion... wow! Can't wait to see the results!

Sirhr
    Pederson device, think it was a 30 cal pistol cartridge

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. This "idea" has been around since the turn of the 20th century.

John Browning's "Flapper Gun"
    flapper-660x299.jpeg

Browning designed a prototype attempting to harness the expelled gasses trailing behind a bullet. He did this by modifying a Winchester 1873 rifle. He essentially made a cup with a hole in it and placed it at the muzzle attached to a hinging mechanism with a long bar attached to the lever on the rifle. When the rifle was shot the gas would push the washer downward forcing the hinge to pull the lever forward and then spring tension brought it back and would be fired again. This washis proof of concept gas-powered machine gun. It was later referred to as the Flapper Gun. And, to relate to modern times, someone even tried this modification, in semi-auto, on his modern 1873 for SASSs Cowboy Action Shooting and was promptly ruled illegal for competition.

There was the Francotte 1910. The Francotte is a peculiar lever action rifle that fires semi-automatically using the principle of blowback; the Martini-Henry style lever acts as the charging handle if the rifle. If so desired, the rifle's self-loading feature could be disabled, with the rifle being used like a more conventional lever-action rifle.

Francotte 1910
    hlp7xg9xkmg31.jpg

The there is the lever action AK-47. Pretty cool looking, but basically the lever just links to the charging handle and everything after that is all AK.

OIP.Ibo75_bO8WO6cfmz31nsgwHaBs

Other semi-auto bolt action conversions
    Steyr M95
    OIP.-NGb65rEzvanaIxmcyG5WAHaEC

Steyr M1988/90
    OIP.LwrIvs-pHYNwH80IXDMaygHaEn

Ross MG conversion
    OIP.tU_T7Q_J7F6sTu9Oy0tqUgAAAA

Snabb conversion of Swedish Mannlicher
    OIP.eJCj0IzQNTV36jBXNAHwFwHaBL

Charlton conversion of Enfield/Lee-Metford
    OIP.jzPeHkc676VlCpzSVd68UwHaDp

I love these bolt action to semi/full auto conversions - IMO, they're the most steampunk of all of the historical firearms.
    Can't wait to see your project come to fruition @buffalowinter

Pederson device, think it was a 30 cal pistol cartridge
    Pederson device

Not the Pederson device, that's a different type of conversion than what @buffalowinter is working on. Instead of inserting a device that fires pistol ammo into a bolt action rifle (a device that can be inserted and removed), the semi automatic conversation that's being discussed in this thread is distinctly different. This type of conversion uses the ammo that the rifle was originally made to use, it's literally turning a bolt action rifle into a semi auto version of itself (instead of using a removable device in a different caliber). Check out these sites for some of the M1903 rifles that have been converted, they're extremely interesting:

https://www.instmiltech.com/springfield-prototype-semi-automatic-rifle/

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...-us-springfield-1903-semiautomatic-conversion

Similar to these rifle conversions, a one of a kind Colt revolver was recently sold on Gunbroker (I forgot about the auction and wasn't able to bid). This Colt Trooper revolver was modified to be a semi automatic. Very interesting conversion, whether or not it practical. It's not a rifle, but I figured that this was interesting enough to include in this thread:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/987033714

Last edited:
    Snabb conversion of Swedish Mannlicher
    OIP.eJCj0IzQNTV36jBXNAHwFwHaBL
    Are you sure Swedish Mannlicher is correct? I've never heard of such a thing and I've been collecting Swedes for 20+ years. Beyond testing in the early 1890's, I cannot recall the Swedes ever dabbling in the Mannlicher system.

This looks like it might be a Snabb conversion of an 1893 mauser in 7mm.

My plan is to utilize the gas system from the FAL L1A1. I intended to use modified BREN gun magazines.
    Wow, that’s going to be a challenging and unique project!. I would conjecture that the specific diameter of the gas port hole might be critical to proper functioning. Too little and rifle may short cycle, and too large and rifle might batter itself, so good luck with this interesting project!

Are you sure Swedish Mannlicher is correct? I've never heard of such a thing and I've been collecting Swedes for 20+ years. Beyond testing in the early 1890's, I cannot recall the Swedes ever dabbling in the Mannlicher system.

This looks like it might be a Snabb conversion of an 1893 mauser in 7mm.
    Just grabbed the pic off the internet, you could be correct.

Wow, that’s going to be a challenging and unique project!. I would conjecture that the specific diameter of the gas port hole might be critical to proper functioning. Too little and rifle may short cycle, and too large and rifle might batter itself, so good luck with this interesting project!
    That's why I'm using the FAL with it's adjustable gas port. Also, the size of the return spring can be adjusted. Plus, I can always just weld up the gas port and start over at any time.

My Gunsmithing Philosophy.

I think I'll build a Steyr M95 semi-auto bolt conversion first. It's straight forward and I pretty much have all parts on hand. I'll still use the FAL gas system, a Valmet accessory rail for the track for the bolt to ride in, and a buffer from an HK91. I'll make/modify the stock using an RPK or SVD/PSL donor stock.

355289413_2755889227879280_4686631774929644118_n.jpg

355677451_2755890317879171_6105059392100832761_n.jpg

OIP.jpg

I always thought that would be an "easier" one to do, if someone were to reproduce it. haha

Working on the SMLE No1 MkIII. This particular one I got from RTI for $400. Made in 1918.
    DSCF0082.JPG

The gas system
    DSCF0080.JPG

Making a 25 round magazine
    DSCF0081.JPG