• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new project

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Ok guys I picked up a Marlin Xt-22, standard weight barrel with the synthetic stock. First overall impression is that the balance and OEM stock has a more "adult feel" than the Savages which I pretty much attribute to the crappy stock most of the Savages start with.

I picked this up as a project rifle, not trying to mimic a trainer, shoot benchrest or even .22 tac matches. Just a dedicated plinker that I want to get the most out of.

To start with I will mount a generic tasco in DNZ mounts and see what it will do from scratch, totally out of the box other than cleaning the bore. After that I will more than likely chop the barrel to 16", float it, stiffen the forend, bed it and possibly even firelap it. I dont have a huge selection of ammo, Aquila subsonic, Winchester subsonic, Federal gold match, CCI subsonic and a couple Fiocche subsonic, I think a RN and HP as well as a couple standard velocity loads. I have a hundred rounds of each so I will try to shoot groups after various mods.

Wind here is viscious, topped the windgauge at 55+mph yesterday so I will probably stick to 50yards groups so the rifle will be tested rather than my wind reading skills. Would it be better to shoot four, 5 round groups with each ammo or two, 10 round groups? Also I plan on running a bore snake between brands. Im leaning towards 5 round groups to see if the groups shrink as the bore seasons to the particular lube/ammo.

Feel free to toss any tips, suggestions or ideas towards me. If you want to see something experimented with let me know, Im more than game to do just about anything.