• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New property in NE TX.

DougKeen

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2019
Hey guys. I never post on here...(anywhere for that matter) Don't have a lot of free time, and nothing exciting ever really happens to me. :) But i'm contributing today.

So i recently bought a small piece of land (130 acres) in NE Texas, in Cass County. At the moment, i am TRYING to bow hunt whitetails when i can get up (i live in Houston-4 hr drive) but the damn pigs are taking over. Eating all the corn i put out for the deer and tearing the place up. I'll attach a pic for reference (and fun). Time to do something about it. This is a nightly occurrence.

So i have never dabbled in the night vision/thermal arena before, but now seems to be the time. I can see myself having to put a second mortgage on the house if im not careful! I picked up a ThOR LT direct from ATN and stuck it on my suppressed SBR in .300 to get started. Now i'm looking at NVG's. We had Gen 1 back in the late 80's when i was stationed in Germany. Pretty cool at the time. Now i'm looking at the ATN PVS7-2. I'll continue to do some more research, but at this time those look like the best option so i don't break the bank. ATN is offering it for $1,885 and they'll throw in a helmet mount. I see them on here pre-owned for a lot less...advise?

I'll also need a laser...DBAL maybe...advise? I'll stick that on my LaRue and use that rifle for NVG use.

Helpful input is greatly appreciated, being i am TOTALLY new at the night time game.

Any body in the Linden area that might want to come help kill pigs??

Attachments

• IMG_8420.JPG
    IMG_8420.JPG
    953.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8421.JPG
    IMG_8421.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 152
I would take a look at the Burris clip on thermal.
For budget stuff, the sightmark wraith series of NV seem to be pretty well liked.

It's a wonder you have anything in East Texas left from all the poachers.

If you dont live there they rape your place.

If still a problem after deer season I also live in Fort Worth and would help cull them out.

Some mast crop should be falling and take pressure off the corn as I have seen white tails walk past feaders and eat acorns, especially if you have any of those big white oaks with the acorns the size of a pecan.

It's a wonder you have anything in East Texas left from all the poachers.

If you dont live there they rape your place.

If still a problem after deer season I also live in Fort Worth and would help cull them out.

Some mast crop should be falling and take pressure off the corn as I have seen white tails walk past feaders and eat acorns, especially if you have any of those big white oaks with the acorns the size of a pecan.
I haven't heard a lot about poachers, but i do know there is a lot of petty crime. Probably a lot more private land than there are game wardens. It's a weekend place for us, so we have cameras and fences to protect or stuff best we can. Seems like meth is rampant.

No acorns on our piece, so the deer swarm our corn feeders, until the pigs scare them off.

you know that it's a sign that god loves you when he provides you with an almost endless supply of free bacon , pulled pork , pork chops , ham what ever best of luck just need some chickens now for eggs and a nice fire to cook your breakfast , lunch and dinner under the stars .

No acorns, the deer will respond to feeders way better.

I have seen feeders with platforms under them about 4-6 foot up on what looked like 6 inch pipe set in concrete.

I guess the platform traps some of the corn the hogs can't get at.

There has been evidence of meth heads at the place I hunt that was turned into the sherriff.

I carry a double stack 45 at all times out there cellphones don't work.

It's a shame you have to worry about things like that when you finally get out of the rat race.

Reactions: DougKeen
No good info from me as I'm also new to NV but I would ride up and smoke some bacon with you 🤣

Reactions: acudaowner
I shoot them down your way too. Best bet is to add trapping if you want them gone. They'll reproduce faster than you can shoot them. Look up c traps. You're gonna have to check them often if you build them though. Likely daily. On that note, shoot a few and they'll move on for a while.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
There are lots of options available, and with anything, there are always trade offs. From a technology perspective, we're living in good times, but there are major differences between each manufacturer. Happy to discuss this over the phone and talk you through the tools we use to accomplish swine inhalation.

There are lots of things to consider such as target engagement range, sensor type, weight, size, recording, and the list goes on and on. Thermal is a great way to go, but night vision is a viable option too.

I am always willing to help out a fellow Texan bust some hogs!! Just let me know, I can definitely help you out!!

DK

There are lots of options available, and with anything, there are always trade offs. From a technology perspective, we're living in good times, but there are major differences between each manufacturer. Happy to discuss this over the phone and talk you through the tools we use to accomplish swine inhalation.

There are lots of things to consider such as target engagement range, sensor type, weight, size, recording, and the list goes on and on. Thermal is a great way to go, but night vision is a viable option too.
Thanks Preston! I'll definitely be in touch.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
I live in Spring and kill a lot of hogs just up the road from you in Red River county. You don’t have enough land to have any real world impact on native feral hog populations, so you might as well just shrug your shoulders and start calling a spade a spade… it’s another thing to hunt with no season and a lot less rules.

Get some 2 or 3’ welded wire fence panels and put them ip around your feeders. That’ll solve any major incursions that interrupt your deer hunting if that’s where you sit.

For killing animals, thermal rules. NV is far distant second place.

The most effective way to kill large numbers of hogs is a big round pen with a remote operated gate with cell service. Bait it up when you’re there. You might be able to find a local trustworthy red neck who will go load them up live and sell them. Or be ready to pull the fence and move it somewhere else away from the graveyard on your next trip.