• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Proposed ATF Powder Reporting Rule

TxLite

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2020
Texas
Has anybody seen this yet? It seems like the ATF is now eyeing reloaders storing powder and primers.

Summary​

The Department of Justice is proposing to amend Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (“ATF”) regulations to require that any person who stores explosive materials notify on an annual basis the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such materials are stored. In addition, the proposed rule requires any person who stores explosive materials to notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials were stored whenever storage is discontinued. These changes are intended to increase public safety.

Editing to add: after some further discussion it sounds like this rule is an amendment to an existing rule that would not impact the general public. The ATF provided summary is misleading

Last edited:
Are they targeting just explosives like "black powder," etc, or do they also mean ammo as well (i.e. cartridges that contain the powder)?

Are they targeting just explosives like "black powder," etc, or do they also mean ammo as well (i.e. cartridges that contain the powder)?
I’d say anything covered by HAZMAT for being explosive would be listed so loaded ammunition might not immediately qualify. They don’t define (from what I’m seeing) explosive, so I’d imagine the rule is vague enough that ammunition could be freely amended into it later.

It’s the ATF though so who the hell knows.

Edit- here is how the atf defines explosives

E067DC78-726A-4EC6-86B5-401D675C360B.png

Last edited:
Reactions: southernpew
This is not.much of an ammendment to current FEL regulations. The ATF definition of explosives does not include smokeless powder and this ammendment does not seem to change that. Smokeless powder in BULK is UN Class 1.3, in small quantities 1.4G. ATF recognize 1.1, 1.2 and HCC using A,B,D,EF and H as explosives

My take - if you have bulk fireworks / large quantities of oxidizing chemicals / black power etc that don't fall under a FEL. However, the never ending ammendments mean anything an change with a stroke or a pen or mouse

Gun powder or pistol/rifle rounds are not classified as "explosive" so what do you think this is going to change? If someone has a can of black powder are they going to be required to self report?

This is not.much of an ammendment to current FEL regulations. The ATF definition of explosives does not include smokeless powder and this ammendment does not seem to change that. Smokeless powder in BULK is UN Class 1.3, in small quantities 1.4G. ATF recognize 1.1, 1.2 and HCC using A,B,D,EF and H as explosives

My take - if you have bulk fireworks / large quantities of oxidizing chemicals / black power etc that don't fall under a FEL. However, the never ending ammendments mean anything an change with a stroke or a pen or mouse
This ATF page is specifically calling out smokeless powder as an explosive. Is this outdated or incorrect info? Or am I misinterpreting?

Yes and No. It's all about quality which dictates the Hazzard classification code assigned to it.

I manage 3 FFLs and 2 FELs and when I buy in bulk I need my FEL but when I go to my local gun store and buy an 8lb jug I don't.

From their page you quote- if I confine a firework it will build pressure and explode or deflagrate but 4th Juky fireworks don't require fire Marshall notification unless you store in bulk

It's a F%&king mire to navigate, and easily misinterpreted and they can reclassifiy (and that's not making a new law) by hazard and definition because lots of chemicals are explosive (the weed killer in your house) but are not classified due to quantity and refinement.

My take.....crepping Regulation against hoarders / preppers to make a warrant easier to gain

maybe trying to target a tan or write ;)

Wouldn't it be easier for them to make it to where you have to pass a NICS check to purchase or something?

This seems like a crazy no look hook shot from half court if that's the intended target.

You know what would make this all better?

If all ATF agents suck started a shotgun and then f***** themselves in hell.

Is that clear enough for all the F troop c***suckers monitoring the site?

Mike

Reactions: southernpew
I’m thinking the reciprocal of this rule would be for every state to require that the name, agency, home address, phone number, with the color, make and model for every single vehicle that any ATFE, DOJ, and FBI agent drives or owns be posted online in a database that gets updated every 30 days.

Tit for Tat MFers.

Last edited:
Has anybody seen this yet? It seems like the ATF is now eyeing reloaders storing powder and primers.

Editing to add: after some further discussion it sounds like this rule is an amendment to an existing rule that would not impact the general public. The ATF provided summary is misleading
Worthless post in the reloading section , go figure .

So you started a bullshit thread , then delete it . It's not that hard to fix your fuck up .

So you started a bullshit thread , then delete it . It's not that hard to fix your fuck up .
You’re acting like someone took a shit in your livingroom.

It was placed here because based on conflicting definitions given by the ATF and a garbage posted rule summary, it sounded like reloaders were going to be impacted and I was curious and hoping for additional explanation from those who are in the know. The explanation I received is that it only impacts people who are already in a position that they need to report and will not impact general reloaders. Leaving it up in case someone else reads the ATF’s summary and is curious. If admins want to delete that’s up to them.

Here's the present rule -

Any person who stores explosive materials shall notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such explosive materials are stored. Such notification shall be made orally before the end of the day on which storage of the explosive materials commenced and in writing within 48 hours from the time such storage commenced.

Here's the rule, as revised by the proposed rulemaking:

Any person who stores explosive materials shall notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such explosive materials are stored. Notification shall be made orally before the end of the day on which storage of the explosive materials commenced, and in writing within 48 hours from the time such storage commenced. Thereafter, written notification shall be made once every 12 months following the initial notification, but no later than the end of the month during which the 12-month period is completed, unless the person is no longer storing explosive materials at the relevant site. When a person ceases to store explosive materials at a site, written notification to the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials were stored shall be made within 48 hours of the person discontinuing storage. Each written notification must also contain the name, title, and agency of the fire authority official notified and the date of the written notification. A copy of each written notification must be maintained by the person submitting the notification for five years from the date of notification and made available for examination or inspection by an ATF officer at all reasonable times.