• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk New PRS barricade stage

BurtG

GOLDEN TICKET HOLDER
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2022
    Northeast
    246E3307-5F43-4BEB-840A-E5618A826FDC.jpeg

A lot of change. Should be more interesting for sure

I like the stages overall as far as I'd enjoy shooting any of them at a match.

I'm just not a fan of "PRS Skill Stages" in general. As it just leads to a lot of matches coming down who's practiced their choreographed stage better. IMO, it was pretty ridiculous that people by necessity ended up getting into sub 40s on the original PRS barricade. Not knocking the guys who practiced and did it.....just the fact that it became a necessity.

Last edited:
    Reactions: R_A_W
    Meh. I liked the old one. It’s just execution of kneeling and standing and quick/ efficient movement and set up. Guys got too good at it is the problem heck I’m mediocre at best and won it a few times. Was a good tie breaker stage

Well, fuck. Now I've got to build a new barricade.

• Haha
    Reactions: todd
    Not 100% sure. I think the horizontal places (where you place the rifle) are a bit shorter than the current one. I think they are 14" and need to be 12"
    Oh that’s dumb considering how many clubs have spent $$$$ making nice steel barricades

Reactions: rothgyr
    Maybe I'm crazy, but 'new' heights are normal...Its generic desk height, and generic bar height.

While average desk height varies a bit, most desk heights range between 29" and 30" from the floor to the tabletop.
    Elevated counter or bar height counter seating is usually about 41″-43″ off the floor to the countertop.

Maybe I'm crazy, but 'new' heights are normal...Its generic desk height, and generic bar height.
    The heights are the same since the last change a few years ago. Could be wrong , but I think they used to be 32"- 34" and 50"-52". It was changed
    a few years back to accommodate shorter shooters.

Reactions: BurtG
    I like the idea of pushing as fast as possible for the skill stage. I really enjoy the 4,5,600y then weak side with unlimited rounds. Let's see how fast everyone can go with no penalty

I like the options, but I also liked the old one too which I wish was still an option. :)

People make a big deal out of the skills stage. Unless you are shooting in the AG cup or for a Bullet, it really doesn't matter.

Doesn't look like nightforce is giving away a free scope this year for fastest time at a 2 day, so who cares.

You get the same points just a spot or two back in final standings for prize table walk.

Its an easy 8-10 points if you don't rush. Take the points and let low IQ people worry about the time.

If you are shooting alot of matches where the top 3 comes down to tiebreaker, than you are shooting meatball matches anyway. Take the points and move on.

People make a big deal out of the skills stage. Unless you are shooting in the AG cup or for a Bullet, it really doesn't matter.

Doesn't look like nightforce is giving away a free scope this year for fastest time at a 2 day, so who cares.

You get the same points just a spot or two back in final standings for prize table walk.

Its an easy 8-10 points if you don't rush. Take the points and let low IQ people worry about the time.

If you are shooting alot of matches where the top 3 comes down to tiebreaker, than you are shooting meatball matches anyway. Take the points and move on.
    Oh, the irony of a Nightforce sponsored stage with a Leupold logo in the barricade :LOL:

With the new format that was had at the PRS finale, the skills stage can be a challenge. I had to really fight to get a 9 on the skills stage at the finale because of the rapidly changing winds and the targets having a lot of pan between each other. Depending on which option an MD goes with and the environment it will force shooters to slow down.

Last edited:
    I think all the changes are positive.

Smaller targets force you to slow down a bit and be more precise rather than full speed reckless shooting.
    Adds another layer of skill testing with target transition/acquisition being of greater importance, particularly in the left/right or near/far setups.
    With smaller second target of 6" at 400 or 8" at 500 you'll actually need to watch wind and see where you are hitting on the first shot to be able to successfully hit the second shot.
    10 rounds vs 8 rounds is a better test of shooter consistency and harder to clean the stage.

I think with this new stage a clean run will be much less common and will be a good tiebreak score, versus everyone cleaning the stage and you need to be super fast to win the tiebreak like the older skill stage.

I think all the changes are positive.

Smaller targets force you to slow down a bit and be more precise rather than full speed reckless shooting.
    Adds another layer of skill testing with target transition/acquisition being of greater importance, particularly in the left/right or near/far setups.
    With smaller second target of 6" at 400 or 8" at 500 you'll actually need to watch wind and see where you are hitting on the first shot to be able to successfully hit the second shot.
    10 rounds vs 8 rounds is a better test of shooter consistency and harder to clean the stage.

I think with this new stage a clean run will be much less common and will be a good tiebreak score, versus everyone cleaning the stage and you need to be super fast to win the tiebreak like the older skill stage.
    I’ve been running things similar to option one in my PRS22 matches for a while now. Often with the smaller and larger targets at different ranges. IMO, a timed stage is a timed stage. Being able to practice one thing to get there is less important than actual skill. I tend to allow for thinking and knowing your holds as an advantage.

Reactions: Sheldon N
    Have shot both option 1 and opt 3 at local matches recently. Option 3 is definitely slower having to reposition to square up behind rifle with the distance between panning back and forth.
    Liked them both though