• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New PTG Rem 700 bolt with remage barrel

dgheriani

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Thinking of getting a 6.5 PRC remage prefit for one of my Rem 700SAs. I would need a magnum bolt face to do so as it currently has a .308 bolt face. Could I just get a PTG one piece bolt since I'd be adjusting the headspace when installing the prefit anyways? Or is there more to it than just that? Thanks!

Yeah headspace would not be an issue. The only thing you would lose with a new bolt is the fit of the bolt lugs to their recesses, and that's only an issue if the present bolt's been lapped in or if it fit really well to begin with.

Invest in a bolt lapping kit from Brownells if you think it's worth it and go for it.

The action may need to be opened up to allow magnum rounds to pass through the bottom opening of the action from the magazine.

Iirc saum/wsm actions are different from normal SA 700s in that area.

The action may need to be opened up to allow magnum rounds to pass through the bottom opening of the action from the magazine.

Iirc saum/wsm actions are different from normal SA 700s in that area.

Opened up in which sense? I already have the feed lips notched to take advantage of the length of Accurate mags. Would it need to be opened up width-wise?

Yes, IIRC a SAUM/WSM cartridge will barely fit (if at all) through the bottom of the raceway. I guess you'd call it the "feed lips" of the receiver, and especially towards the feed ramp, will NOT fit. Cartridges jam, hitting the forward edges of the feed lips, shortly after heading up the feed ramp.

Yes, IIRC a SAUM/WSM cartridge will barely fit (if at all) through the bottom of the raceway. I guess you'd call it the "feed lips" of the receiver, and especially towards the feed ramp, will NOT fit. Cartridges jam, hitting the forward edges of the feed lips, shortly after heading up the feed ramp.

Oh, interesting, I had no idea. I also meant to say my feed ramp was notched, not the feed lips/bottom of the bolt raceway.