• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rail with no difference. Any suggestions?

planalpha

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
PNW
Hey experts, I need to pick your brains again. I had a Savage MKII FVXP that I wanted to turn into a trainer for my 700. So the project begins.
I bought an EGW 20 MOA rail and Burris XTR medium rings for the Centerpoint 4-16x scope that was already on it. I also bought a Boyd's Tacticool stock that is pretty close to my B&C.
The intent was to start shooting out at my range's 200/300 yard section but I didn't have enough elevation with the original setup hence the EGW 20 MOA rail.
Anyway, I got it all together and took it out to sight in yesterday at the 50 and the elevation was dead nuts, the same as it was with the old setup. I was expecting around 10 inches of deviation but it wasn't.
Now I don't know what to think. The old two piece weaver mounts didn't have any MOA that I know of (and I don't have them anymore to check).
Am I missing something? I'm almost topped out at 100 yards and after buying all this stuff I'm no further along having a long distance trainer.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: New rail with no difference. Any suggestions?

seems like a lot of people are going through this with the mkii. I know I put a 20 moa base on mine, and had to dial up to my zero instead of down. I'm using weaver medium height rings (more like lows--.280") and was thinking about maybe going to higher rings. I haven't had the chance to see if I got enough adjustment to reach past 200yd yet.

DFOOSKING
That might just work. Do you have any issues with it moving some? It seems like it might since the only contact the rail would make is at the front instead of the entire surface.

Thanks all for your input!

i could only think of 2 things:

1. perhaps the 20 moa rail you got was mis packaged with a 0 moa rail.

2. the extra height of the base itself and the use of the same height rings "equalized" the 20 moa gain - line of sight vs. bullet path, at least at 50 yards.

i'd give it a try at 100 and see if ther is a difference there, and / or give the base a good look to make sure it is tapered.

I know on my 308 the base is visibly tapered. Take a close look at the base and make sure it's not mislabeled. Also you could lay the base (off the gun of course) on a flat surface and put a level across it, if it is level you have a flat no moa base.

I did the shim deal on a XP 100 in 7BR I use in IMHSA. Had a Burris handgun scope that was in 1/8 min clicks. Anyway I got ahold of some brass shim stock from the hardware store, .013 and.007. Worked OK, solved my comeup issue to get to the Rams at 200 mtrs. I also bedded the mount after getting teh right thickness figured.
Yeah, remember the itty bitty screws.

Can your base be installed backwards??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepocabra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know on my 308 the base is visibly tapered. Take a close look at the base and make sure it's not mislabeled. Also you could lay the base (off the gun of course) on a flat surface and put a level across it, if it is level you have a flat no moa base. </div></div>

You don't even need to take it off the base. Just put a ruler/yardstick/straight edge on the rail and see if its pointing towards or touching the barrel.

as others have said, check the rail to make sure it is a 20MOA and that you have installed it correctly.

Not sure it the ring height would make that much difference, but for me, I always try to have the scope as close as possible to the receiver/barrel.

So I got it on the bench tonight and under the ejection port it states "SAV 93 20M" and verified that it's on the right way. All I can think is that the factory two piece weaver mounts must have had 20 MOA in them, although I see nothing in any of the docs that say that.
I was wondering if I was to tighten the front screws more and loosen the rears a bit and bed it in that position if that would provide the needed elevation as well as be solid enough to not move.

Umm, don't think you could get the base aligned with the bore if you left the rears loose and tightened the fronts then bedded.

Shimming and bedding, torquing the screws to 10-15in lbs during the bedding operation, would be your best bet. You'll know if it's aligned, or not, when running up and down in elevation while zeroing.
If you do bed make sure you use a good mould release on the receiver so the mount doesn't become a permanent part of your rifle! Car paste wax works well, apply, buff, reapply, buff. Roughing up the base with some 60 grit gives the epoxy something to bite into.

Or, there are the Burris Signature rings that have the offset bushing sets that allow you to gain a boat load of MOA! Another poster mentioned them.

Let us know what you decided to do and the outcome!